1. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    15 Sep '03 15:43
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Ok, after some thought my view is this: It is important to make sure that the rider is not sloping backwards when the escalator flattens out as he will then try to regain his balance by taking a step backwards into the person or step behind him, will then fall over, and will probably be sucked into the machinery and die.

If the handrail goes slower than ...[text shortened]... they can take a step forward to correct their balance, which is the way they want to go anyway.
    When they take a step forward, they bump into the person there, who will inadvertably get stuck in the machine.
  2. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    15 Sep '03 18:00
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    When they take a step forward, they bump into the person there, who will inadvertably get stuck in the machine.
    No - when they take a step forward the person in front of them is naturally stepping away from the escalator too, so there will be no collision. 🙂
  3. Get on a good foot
    Moves
    16 Oct '03 20:46
    Originally posted by mattb5
    I'm guessing it's the same reason the outside of a tire travels a longer distance than the inside. They both make one revolution in the same amount of time, but the outside has further to travel in that time frame, so it has to go faster.
    That's my theory . . .
    Wh yare we still guessing this guy has the right answer! With the revolution speed, velocity increases with distance from the center
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    17 Oct '03 15:32
    Originally posted by yesno
    Wh yare we still guessing this guy has the right answer! With the revolution speed, velocity increases with distance from the center
    There is still a problem. The handrail and the stairs are connected to the drive via different gear wheels, which one could have thought could be easily adjusted to make the handrail move at the same speed as the stairs on the straight bits.
  5. Standard memberBarefootChessPlayer
    Barefoot Chessplayer
    central usa
    Moves
    24 Nov '03 07:21
    what irks me most about escalators is when the person in front of me invariably wants to stand still, blocking my way, as i prefer to walk.
    because i walk, though, i've never noticed a difference in speed between the handrail and the steps.
  6. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    24 Nov '03 19:02
    Originally posted by BarefootChessPlayer
    what irks me most about escalators is when the person in front of me invariably wants to stand still, blocking my way, as i prefer to walk.
    because i walk, though, i've never noticed a difference in speed between the handrail and the steps.
    I just pounce on them from behind and eat them if they do that!
  7. my head
    Moves
    25 Nov '03 21:131 edit
    i think Fiathahel has it right.
  8. Joined
    17 Sep '03
    Moves
    26 Nov '03 01:44
    I think it's to prevent people from getting on the escalator going in the wrong direction. If someone were not paying attention and inadvertantly began to walk onto an escalator going the opposite direction than they thought, usually they would reach out to touch the handrail for balance before stepping on. Escalators t steps themselves must maintain a safe speed for the elderly and such. But if you grab a handrail rapidily travaling in the opposite direction, you will immediately realize your mistake before you even step on. The faster the handrail is going the harder it would be to get on going the wrong way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree