1. USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 22:451 edit
    Does a falling tree make a sound if no one is around to hear it?

I heard this one on TV and it's been puzziling me ever since........
  2. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 23:05
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC

A tree falls and makes sound waves, which is sound. Because your ears cannot pick up those waves doesn't mean there is no sound. Yes, it does make sound.
  3. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 00:21
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC

What's puzzling me though is what's a MC?
  4. Under Cover
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 04:20
    Originally posted by smw6869
    A tree falls and makes sound waves, which is sound. Because your ears cannot pick up those waves doesn't mean there is no sound. Yes, it does make sound.
    Prove it.
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 04:24
    a noise is only made when someone hears it. a falling tree moves some air molecules around but makes no noise if no one is there to hear it.

anyone who disagrees with this just isn't thinking it through.

now, get ready for all the lame flame outs that i'm going to get. smile and watch. someday, they will get it too.

here goes . .watch!
  6. Joined
    11 Jun '07
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 04:41
    The answer is: It depends.
    It depends on how you define sound. If you define sound as waves of energy traveling through a medium (i.e. air, water etc.) then yes a tree falling in a forest makes a sound regardless of whether anyone is around to hear it.
    However, if you define sound as a the creation, transmittance, and reception of these waves of energy then no a tree doesn't make a sound if it falls and no one is around.
    Some choose to define sound as waves of energy traveling through a medium, others as the reception of such waves by an ear of sorts and the subsequent interpretation by a neurological system.
    It's really quite trivial.
  7. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 05:11
    Originally posted by nwapsdrawkcab
    It depends on how you define sound. If you define sound as waves of energy traveling through a medium (i.e. air, water etc.) then yes a tree falling in a forest makes a sound regardless of whether anyone is around to hear it.
    However, if you define sound as a the creation, transmittance, and reception of these waves of en ...[text shortened]... sorts and the subsequent interpretation by a neurological system.
    yep
  8. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 06:40
    An MC is "Master of Ceremonies"
    As for the question, there's also several ways to view noise, not just sound, but general effects on its surroundings. I think if we rephrase the question we can come up with an answer.
    If an asteroid fell and hit the earth, and no one was around to hear it, would it make a sound?
    Given t hat we can see the fossilised remains of fissures caused by shockwaves, then yes! the same could probably be translated for the tree.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 10:40
    "When the concept of atoms wasn't invented, does there exist any atoms then?", "Does pi exist befor man?" If I put my head in a hole, do the problems go by then?", "If I never watch TV, is there then any episode of 'Lost'?"

There is a bunch of questions in the same spirit.

"If the first posting was never written, would there be any thread then?"
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 10:511 edit
    Originally posted by nwapsdrawkcab
    However, if you define sound as a the creation, transmittance, and reception of these waves of en sorts and the subsequent interpretation by a neurological system.
    If I define it has a chicken sandwich, can I eat sound?

Only the first one of those is a standardly accept definition.
  11. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 11:15
    I'm sorry, but anyone who says "it doesn't make a sound, think about it and you'll understand" is just trying to be philosophical for a question which doesn't warrant it, and ending up exposing their own ignorance.

Sound is the vibration of particles. If a tree falls over and no human is around to hear it, then any squirrels in the forest still hear it, and a recording device would be able to record it so that a human can listen later.

Also, anything below 20Hz frequency or above 20,000Hz frequency cannot be heard by humans even when humans are very close, but still makes a sound. Pre-natal scanning depends on the fact that there is sound despite the fact humans can't hear it.
  12. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 11:31
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    I'm sorry, but anyone who says "it doesn't make a sound, think about it and you'll understand" is just trying to be philosophical for a question which doesn't warrant it, and ending up exposing their own ignorance.

Sound is the vibration of particles. If a tree falls over and no human is around to hear it, then any squirrels in the forest still hear ...[text shortened]... l scanning depends on the fact that there is sound despite the fact humans can't hear it.
    but, Its not noise!

your in a quiet room all by yourself, there are lots of radio waves going throughout the room, Is it quiet in the room? or noisy?
  13. Under Cover
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 11:33
    Originally posted by doodinthemood

Sound is the vibration of particles. If a tree falls over and no human is around to hear it, then any squirrels in the forest still hear ...[text shortened]... l scanning depends on the fact that there is sound despite the fact humans can't hear it.
    Anyone who takes this thread seriously is trying to sound intelligent for a thread which doesn't warrant it, and ends up exposing their own arrogance. It's a question to amuse children, not a scientific debate. Lighten up people.
  14. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 11:42
    Originally posted by BLReid
    Anyone who takes this thread seriously is trying to sound intelligent for a thread which doesn't warrant it, and ends up exposing their own arrogance. It's a question to amuse children, not a scientific debate. Lighten up people.
    Ancient philosophical paradoxes are there to amuse children? 😕
  15. Under Cover
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 11:55
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Ancient philosophical paradoxes are there to amuse children? 😕
    Only children or philosophers could possibly take this type of question seriously. To anyone else, the obvious answer is "Who cares?"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree