Falling tree makes noise?

Falling tree makes noise?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
19 Jun 07

put a recording device somewhere near the tree at a safe place. start recording. go far away. will the falling tree make a sound now?

[ ] yes, because when i listen to the record later, there will be a sound.
[ ] no, because when i listen to the record later, there will only be silence.

d

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by flyUnity
but, Its not noise!

your in a quiet room all by yourself, there are lots of radio waves going throughout the room, Is it quiet in the room? or noisy?
Technically speaking, the room would be noisy.

For all social reasons, it would be fair to say it's "quiet" though.

F

Moves
19 Jun 07

I don't believe that the tree has fallen at all if I don't see it fall myself.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by crazyblue
put a recording device somewhere near the tree at a safe place. start recording. go far away. will the falling tree make a sound now?

[ ] yes, because when i listen to the record later, there will be a sound.
[ ] no, because when i listen to the record later, there will only be silence.
If there is a recording device (or a squirrel, or whatever else) then there is "someone" (very loosely defined here) to hear it. Nobody ever said it had to be heard right then...😛

g

Moves
19 Jun 07

Whether or not it makes a sound depends on whether your definition of "sound" requires there to be someone close enough to hear it or not.

Thus, it is perfectly acceptable that one person says "yes" because they define sound as a physicist would, as alternating compression and and expanding of physical matter (such as air) in a manner which radiates out from a particular source.

It is also perfectly acceptable for another to say "no" because they define sound more practically, requiring anything labelled as "sound" to be audible in some sense, and hence requiring someone to listen to it (including tape recorders).

m

Moves
19 Jun 07
1 edit

DO you think wikipedia has an answer?

C

Solaris

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by coquette
a noise is only made when someone hears it. a falling tree moves some air molecules around but makes no noise if no one is there to hear it.

anyone who disagrees with this just isn't thinking it through.

now, get ready for all the lame flame outs that i'm going to get. smile and watch. someday, they will get it too.

here goes . .watch!
I do disagree,nonetheless. A sound is a wave,and does not need any listener. It is like a waves on the ocean. If we would put something vulnerable to the frequency of the wave,that is made by the falling tree, it would have registered appearance of the wave.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
19 Jun 07

a noise is only made when someone hears it. a falling tree moves some air molecules around but makes no noise if no one is there to hear it.

anyone who disagrees with this just isn't thinking it through.

now, get ready for all the lame flame outs that i'm going to get. smile and watch. someday, they will get it too.

here goes . .watch!
Lame flame here!

When an apple becomes detached from it's tree, and you are not there to see it, where do you Know it will go? 'Tis Called The Scientific Method ....you little red headed silly person.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by doodinthemood
I'm sorry, but anyone who says "it doesn't make a sound, think about it and you'll understand" is just trying to be philosophical for a question which doesn't warrant it, and ending up exposing their own ignorance.

Sound is the vibration of particles. If a tree falls over and no human is around to hear it, then any squirrels in the forest still hear ...[text shortened]... l scanning depends on the fact that there is sound despite the fact humans can't hear it.
rude

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by flyUnity
but, Its not noise!

your in a quiet room all by yourself, there are lots of radio waves going throughout the room, Is it quiet in the room? or noisy?
thank you. polite.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by FabianFnas
"When the concept of atoms wasn't invented, does there exist any atoms then?", "Does pi exist befor man?" If I put my head in a hole, do the problems go by then?", "If I never watch TV, is there then any episode of 'Lost'?"

There is a bunch of questions in the same spirit.

"If the first posting was never written, would there be any thread then?"
obscure, but possibly clever, if i can ever figure it out if this one was serious or not

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
20 Jun 07

if a thread is posted in a forum and no one bothers to read it . . . was it still meangingless nonesense?

d

Moves
20 Jun 07

rude
but correct.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by Dance Master MC
Does a falling tree make a sound if no one is around to hear it?

I heard this one on TV and it's been puzziling me ever since........
Define 'noise'.

d

Moves
20 Jun 07

"noise - sound, esp. of a loud, harsh, or confused kind"