1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 15:09
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Phi is usually described as 1.618034 (roughly).

In the equation 100 = 11, both sides are in base phi.

The left hand side is equal to 1 * phi^2 + 0 * phi + 0 = phi^2
    The right hand side is equal to 1 * phi + 1 = phi + 1

In the same way, 1/phi is equal to phi - 1, which in base phi would be:

0.1 = 10 - 1
    I am missing something here. If I say 123 in base ten and make an equation, and the right hand side of the equation is in base ten then it would seem that it should be 123 (B10)=123 (b10).
    Why is there a differance between the left and right hand side of your equation? Sorry for seeming dense. Maybe because I AM dense๐Ÿ™‚
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 15:16
    Phi has some peculiar properties:
    Phi is the only number that is exactly one from its own inverted value.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 15:301 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Phi has some peculiar properties:
    Phi is the only number that is exactly one from its own inverted value.
    Yes but like your earlier questions about my number 200 + 200 = 5,
    the base on the left side was differant from the base on the right side
    so considering that, the equation is balanced. But when you have an equation where both sides are the same base, in this case phi,
    then why would the left side be 100 and the right side be 11, how can that be a true equation? 100(B phi)=11(B phi)? Maybe you are saying 100 and 11 are inversions of each other and in phi based its the same thing?
    In binary, 11 plus 1 = 100 so maybe it would be saying 100=phi+1?
  4. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 16:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yes but like your earlier questions about my number 200 + 200 = 5,
    the base on the left side was differant from the base on the right side
    so considering that, the equation is balanced. But when you have an equation where both sides are the same base, in this case phi,
    then why would the left side be 100 and the right side be 11, how can that be a true e ...[text shortened]... phi based its the same thing?
    In binary, 11 plus 1 = 100 so maybe it would be saying 100=phi+1?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio_base
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 16:31
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio_base
    Wow, nice link. So now its close to easter and we are all in our phinary!
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    31 May '06 21:40
    "Mathematically correct"? Correct mathematics would have you denote the fact the bases were different on either side of the equals sign by subscript. This whole puzzle is based on a typo! There is no mathematician on this planet who would give you full marks if you missed out a base other than 10 in an arithmetic equation.

Arithmetic equation? Now that's an oxymoron if ever I said one.

It's like saying "When is bread the same as a bead? When you miss out the 'r' of course!"

I really hate to be the party-pooper but I'm sorry to say, folks, that this does come under that kindergarten umbrella.
  7. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    31 May '06 23:28
    Originally posted by lordbritish
    "Mathematically correct"? Correct mathematics would have you denote the fact the bases were different on either side of the equals sign by subscript. This whole puzzle is based on a typo! There is no mathematician on this planet who would give you full marks if you missed out a base other than 10 in an arithmetic equation.

Arithmetic equation? Now ...[text shortened]... oper but I'm sorry to say, folks, that this does come under that kindergarten umbrella.
    On the other hand, there wouldn't have been much to puzzle over had he included the bases in the equation. ๐Ÿ˜•
  8. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 01:56

Arithmetic equation? Now ...[text shortened]... oper but I'm sorry to say, folks, that this does come under that kindergarten umbrella.
    You're right. Most puzzles should just have the answer as part of the question instead of having to do all that thinking about how it might possibly work or what information is missing.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 07:01
    If you by "=" mean "equal to" by standard base ten arithmetics I wold say that this postulate is false.

"Mathematically correct"? Correct mathematics would have you denote the fact the bases were different on either side of the equals sign by subscript. This whole puzzle is based on a typo! There is no ...[text shortened]... d give you full marks if you missed out a base other than 10 in an arithmetic equation.
    So I am not totally mistaken then?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 23:18
    So I am not totally mistaken then?
    Of course! Like they guy said, it would not have been much of a puzzle if I just said the bases involved. Also in anwer to the critique, which I appreciate BTW, if a real mathemetician saw that puzzle, there would be no question in his mind what I had to be talking about. I would think that differant bases would pop into his head pretty much immediately.
  11. Joined
    08 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 08:34
    i still don't get it how does it work?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree