1. Over seas
    Moves
    23 Feb '04 03:54
    If it took fred three hours to did a hole, how long would it take to dig half a hole?
  2. Hendersonville, NC
    Moves
    23 Feb '04 10:20
    There is no such thing as half a hole. 😀
  3. e2
    Moves
    23 Feb '04 13:36
    I have a co-worker who simply could not get this one, even when it was explained to him. He was also unable to understand why a ton of lead weighs no more than a ton of feathers 😲
  4. Standard memberBarefootChessPlayer
    Barefoot Chessplayer
    central usa
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 01:39
    Originally posted by huntingbear
    I have a co-worker who simply could not get this one, even when it was explained to him. He was also unable to understand why a ton of lead weighs no more than a ton of feathers 😲
    try this one along those lines:
    which weighs more--a pound of gold or a pound of feathers?
    few people will answer it correctly.
  5. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 02:34
    Originally posted by BarefootChessPlayer
    try this one along those lines:
    which weighs more--a pound of gold or a pound of feathers?
    few people will answer it correctly.
    Depends what you mean by a pound, value or weight. If it's weight, they're the same, obviously. If it's value, then it depends what type of feathers, peacock feathers are definitely worth more than your bog standard pigeon feathers, so you'd need less to make a pounds worth.
  6. Over seas
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 03:15
    I figgured that I would put an easy one up. By the time I get most of the puzzles, the post is sooo far back paged that I cannot answer them.😕

Mike
  7. my head
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 23:40
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    Depends what you mean by a pound, value or weight. If it's weight, they're the same, obviously. If it's value, then it depends what type of feathers, peacock feathers are definitely worth more than your bog standard pigeon feathers, so you'd need less to make a pounds worth.
    even in wheight one wheighs more than the other, as gold is mesured useing a diffrent system of mesurments than most things. something about the number of ounces to a pound (and yes, an ounce of gold dose wheight the same as an ounce of feathers)
  8. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    26 Feb '04 19:442 edits
    Originally posted by fearlessleader
    even in wheight one wheighs more than the other, as gold is mesured useing a diffrent system of mesurments than most things. something about the number of ounces to a pound (and yes, an ounce of gold dose wheight the same as an ounce of feathers)
    Weight of gold is bizarrely measured in Troy ounces , rather than Avoirdupois. A Troy ounce is heavier than an Avoirdupois ounce. Troy pounds were declared illegal in 1878, but a Troy pound was lighter than an Avoirdupois pound. So before 1878 the pound of gold was lighter than the pound of feathers but after 1878 they became equal in weight (except to criminals).
  9. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    27 Feb '04 12:45
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Weight of gold is bizarrely measured in Troy ounces , rather than Avoirdupois. A Troy ounce is heavier than an Avoirdupois ounce. Troy pounds were declared illegal in 1878, but a Troy pound was lighter than an Avoirdupois pound. So before 1878 the pound of gold was lighter than the pound of feathers but after 1878 they became equal in weight (except to criminals).
    A Troy ounce is heavier then an Avourdupois one...how does that make a Troy pound lighter then an Avoirdupois one?
  10. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    29 Feb '04 23:22
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    A Troy ounce is heavier then an Avourdupois one...how does that make a Troy pound lighter then an Avoirdupois one?
    There must have been fewer Troy ounces in a Troy pound than there are Avoirdupois ounces in an Avoirdupois pound. Thank goodness for metric!
  11. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    29 Feb '04 23:28
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    There must have been fewer Troy ounces in a Troy pound than there are Avoirdupois ounces in an Avoirdupois pound. Thank goodness for metric!
    A Troy pound denotes the same weight as an Avoirdupois one. The former has 12 "Troy Ounces", each equal to 4/3 of an Avoirdupois ounce (a little over 28 grams), of which there are 16 in each pound.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree