Moves
    25 Jan '04 00:051 edit
    Originally posted by garyminford
    1. Pod
    2. Out
    3. Play it again Sam by Woody Allen
    4. Rome
    5. BA Baracus

Sorry about the long delay folks. I've been working my little buns off.
    Ok, here's another 5

1. Who originally had a hit with 'Blue Suede Shoes'?
    2. ...[text shortened]... p even the cleverest of you going for a day or two.
    Cheers, Gary.
    1. Dunno - since it's being asked I'm guessing it's not Elvis.
    2. Tiber
    3a: Indianapolis? Is it where they hold the Indy 500?
    4. Who Dares Wins
    5. Nine (edit: I know there are rumours of there being 10 but I think only nine are known to exist).
    T
  2. Standard memberBarefootChessPlayer
    Barefoot Chessplayer
    central usa
    Moves
    25 Jan '04 23:18

1. Who originally had a hit with 'Blue Suede Shoes'?
    2. River on which Rome was founded?
    3a. Non US residents only... State capital of Indiana?
    3b. US residents only...Capital of Georgia?
    4. What is the motto of the SAS, the worlds top special forces unit?
    5. How many Symphonies did Beethoven write?

Hope those keep even the cleverest of you going for a day or two.
    Cheers, Gary.
    not sure if 2 has been answered but will do so: tiber.
    i haven't looked at an atlas lately but think the answer to 3b (the country, former ssr) is tbilisi (tiflis).
    not sure on 5--i seem to recall that he wrote several that weren't ever published.
    i've been to the answer to 3a numerous times!
  3. Standard membergaryminford
    The Sheriff of
    Nottingham
    Moves
    26 Jan '04 11:24
    Ok guys. I'll confirm that 2 is the river Tiber and that there are only 9 published symphonies by Beethoven. There have been rumours of more unpublished ones about for as long as he has been dead, but 9 is the answer. Tblisi is the capital of Georgia and the motto of the SAS is who dares wins. Just the Blue suede shoes question, and the State capital of Indiana.
  4. Moving on...
    Moves
    26 Jan '04 17:52
    according to a friend of mine who is a big rock+roller it was a guy called carl perkins who wrote blue suede shoes. nil pois to me as i had to ask a mate๐Ÿ™‚
  5. Standard membergaryminford
    The Sheriff of
    Nottingham
    Moves
    26 Jan '04 18:26
    Carl Perkins is correct. He wrote it and had a hit with it until the king got his hands on it.
  6. Standard memberBarefootChessPlayer
    Barefoot Chessplayer
    central usa
    Moves
    27 Jan '04 08:57
    Ok guys. I'll confirm that 2 is the river Tiber and that there are only 9 published symphonies by Beethoven. There have been rumours of more unpublished ones about for as long as he has been dead, but 9 is the answer. Tblisi is the capital of Georgia and the motto of the SAS is who dares wins. Just the Blue suede shoes question, and the State capital of Indiana.
    the state capital of indiana was answered earlier, albeit with a question mark.
  7. Standard membergaryminford
    The Sheriff of
    Nottingham
    Moves
    27 Jan '04 11:04
    My Atlas tells me that the state capital of Indiana is not Indianapolis. I'm happy to be corrected though๐Ÿ™‚. I was always under the impression that it was a mans name, and a strong, handsome sounding name at that.๐Ÿ˜€
  8. Standard memberBarefootChessPlayer
    Barefoot Chessplayer
    central usa
    Moves
    27 Jan '04 18:27
    My Atlas tells me that the state capital of Indiana is not Indianapolis. I'm happy to be corrected though๐Ÿ™‚. I was always under the impression that it was a mans name, and a strong, handsome sounding name at that.๐Ÿ˜€
    trust me--the state capital of indiana is indianapolis, as i've toured the capitol building there!
    indy was actually built just to be the capital city! it is unusual now in that it is the capital city served by the most interstate highways: i-65 (from which you can see the capitol building), 69, 70, 74, and the belt highway, 465.
    what city does your atlas give as the capital (there have been several)? based on your comment, i would guess maybe fort wayne.
    anyway, i think it's time for another quiz.
  9. Standard membergaryminford
    The Sheriff of
    Nottingham
    Moves
    27 Jan '04 20:30
    My Atlas gives the name of the capital to be the very wonderful name of Gary!
  10. Standard memberBarefootChessPlayer
    Barefoot Chessplayer
    central usa
    Moves
    28 Jan '04 11:41
    My Atlas gives the name of the capital to be the very wonderful name of Gary!
    ah.
    gary hasn't been the capital for a very long time!
    now i understand why you thought it was a studly man's name! ๐Ÿ˜€

here's a quiz for anyone who lives outside north america:

1. this u. s. state capital sounds like a very unobtrusive letter. give city and state.
    2a/b. name the two canadian provincial capitals with "queenly" names, and the provinces they govern.
    3. name the u. s. state capitals (and their respective states) named after presidents. (i won't tell you how many there are for now.)
    4. what is the capital of es. de chihuahua?
    5. name the northernmost (a) u. s. state capital city (b) canadian provncial capital city.
  11. Standard membergaryminford
    The Sheriff of
    Nottingham
    Moves
    28 Jan '04 11:59
    Sorry, my mistake about the indiana thing. It is a rather old atlas. I shall ponder on yours for a moment, although my gut instinct for no 1 is Wyoming, Arizona.
  12. Standard memberBarefootChessPlayer
    Barefoot Chessplayer
    central usa
    Moves
    28 Jan '04 17:07
    Sorry, my mistake about the indiana thing. It is a rather old atlas. I shall ponder on yours for a moment, although my gut instinct for no 1 is Wyoming, Arizona.
    i'm still looking for former indiana capitals, and what i've found indicates that gary was never the capital! it only lists corydon (in the southernmost part) and indy.
    gary is not even a county seat!
    i'd say your atlas isn't just old, it's woefully inaccurate!
    gary is basically a suburb of chicago.
    plesae clarify on "wyoming, arizona".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree