Gary's pub quiz.

Gary's pub quiz.

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

g
The Sheriff of

Nottingham

Moves
10 Dec 03

Sorry, it's not 'poet and a one man band', a common misconception. It's a 'poet and a one night stand'. Next round later today.....

g
The Sheriff of

Nottingham

Moves
10 Dec 03

ok, round 3 on the way. Fingers on the ......actually, just keep your hands on the keyboard thanks guy and gals๐Ÿ˜‰

1. What is the collective noun for a group of cats (domestic)?
2. What is the prevalent herb in pesto?
3. Is there a 4th of July in Britain?
4. How is acetylsalicyclic acid better known?
5. What is America's only branded native spirit (as in gin, vodka etc were all made elsewhere first, and branded as in an actual brand, not the moonshine made out the back of the house by 2 guys in a Dodge Durango)

Go kids!

all at sea

Moves
10 Dec 03

Basil is the herb

Yes we have a 4th July in UK just after the 3rd.

I'll think on the others

k
Wormtongue

Edoras

Moves
10 Dec 03

Just guessing on number 5. Is it Jack Daniels?

d

Moves
11 Dec 03

Originally posted by garyminford
Sorry, it's not 'poet and a one man band', a common misconception. It's a 'poet and a one night stand'. Next round later today.....
Sorry I am correct...it is definitely "one-man band"...

see (among numerous other song lyric sites that back me up):

http://www.countrygoldusa.com/homeward_bound.asp

A line that preceeds the ones in question is "on a tour of one-night stands" so I can see where the confusion came from.

p.s. I did not use google until I was challenged ๐Ÿ™‚

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
11 Dec 03

Originally posted by garyminford
ok, round 3 on the way. Fingers on the ......actually, just keep your hands on the keyboard thanks guy and gals๐Ÿ˜‰

1. What is the collective noun for a group of cats (domestic)?
4. How is acetylsalicyclic acid better known?
ok, since everyone else is jumping in, i'll answer the ones i know now.

1. clowder, i think, but never heard if that's for domestic. i also know it's kindle of kittens.
4. aspirin.

in reply to the answer to my earlier ones, yes, a group of crows is a murder and the product of a cob (male swan) and pen (female swan) is a cygnet, though "swan egg" would be acceptable.
if i'm not mistaken, swans are the only birds in which the names of male and female are unique to them and don't have any part of the bird's name in them ("cock" and "hen" aren't unique to one species, and most don't even distinguish by gender).

ok, two back.
1. give both terms for a group of quail ("flock" is not one of them).
2. waht do you call a group of operating companies, according the the unix "quiz" feature?

k
Wormtongue

Edoras

Moves
11 Dec 03

During one particular dull period of downtime, we tried to come up with a collective noun for a group of network administrators (they didn't seem to be making much progess). Our best effort (and cleanest) was "a confusion" of network administrators!!
k303

j
Top Gun

Angels 20

Moves
11 Dec 03

3. Is there a 4th of July in Britain?

Of course there is, it comes between the 3rd of July and the 5th of July, same as everywhere else in the world!

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
11 Dec 03
1 edit

Originally posted by kingofthe303
During one particular dull period of downtime, we tried to come up with a collective noun for a group of network administrators (they didn't seem to be making much progess). Our best effort (and cleanest) was "a confusion" of network administrators!!
k303
"obfuscation" also comes to mind.

i've also seen two representations for a group of larks: "exaltation" and "exultation". i'm not sure which is the actual one, but the latter seems to make more sense as "exult" has the connotation of rejoicing and celebrating, usually loudly, and the songs of larks are, imo, uplifting, while "exalt" means more "to honor, to hold in reverence", and that does not imply celebration. unfortunately, my dictionary (a thick one, too!) shows neither in that light.
does anyone know for sure?

TANSTAAFL

Walking on sunshine

Moves
11 Dec 03

Originally posted by kingofthe303
Just guessing on number 5. Is it Jack Daniels?
I believe JD is a brand of bourbon, but I'm not sure if that counts because bourbon's a type of whiskey.

If "America" refers to the continent, then I vote for tequila.

d

Moves
11 Dec 03

ok, two back.
1. give both terms for a group of quail ("flock" is not one of them).
2. waht do you call a group of operating companies, according the the unix "quiz" feature?[/b]
1. covey of quail, I think...don't know a second one
2. how about: consortium

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
12 Dec 03

Originally posted by ddebened
1. covey of quail, I think...don't know a second one
2. how about: consortium
right on the frist one. the second answer is more general.
"consortium" is not what they were wanting, but it's really bad!

d

Moves
12 Dec 03

Originally posted by BarefootChessPlayer
right on the frist one. the second answer is more general.
"consortium" is [b]not
what they were wanting, but it's really bad![/b]
OK, attempt # 2: consolidation

g
The Sheriff of

Nottingham

Moves
13 Dec 03

Hey guys, sorry I've been slipping, lots of work stress at the moment, Christmas period and all, I'll post a new quiz and stuff tomorrow.
Sorry again,
Gary.๐Ÿ˜ณ

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
14 Dec 03

Originally posted by ddebened
OK, attempt # 2: consolidation
nope. think of early unix!