Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 16 Nov '03 20:05
    two points
    the points are connected by a string
    how, in a fixed number of steps, can one pull the string taught so that it fourms a perfect right angle, without using protractor or ruler.

    P.S. why can't we flame eachother, isn't that what fourms are for?
  2. 17 Nov '03 19:51
    after reviewing the problum, i see that it is poorly stated.

    it would better read: Given points A and B x units appart, find point C such that the mesure of line AC plus the mesure of line BC equals y units, and the mesure of angle ABC equals 90 degrees using only ruler and strait edge.
  3. 18 Nov '03 12:31
    Originally posted by fearlessleader
    after reviewing the problum, i see that it is poorly stated.

    it would better read: Given points A and B x units appart, find point C such that the mesure of line AC plus the mesure of line BC equals y units, and the mesure of angle ACB equals 90 degrees using only compas and strait edge.
  4. Standard member Fiathahel
    Artist in Drawing
    18 Nov '03 13:06
    Originally posted by fearlessleader
    after reviewing the problum, i see that it is poorly stated.

    it would better read: Given points A and B x units appart, find point C such that the mesure of line AC plus the mesure of line BC equals y units, and the mesure of angle ABC equals 90 degrees using only ruler and strait edge.
    language problem:
    a ruler, is that an object with which you draw straight lines or an object with which you measure distances?
  5. 18 Nov '03 19:37
    Originally posted by Fiathahel
    language problem:
    a ruler, is that an object with which you draw straight lines or an object with which you measure distances?
    typo

    is should read compas and strait edge, the compas a divice used to draw circles, the stright edge a device used to draw stright lines
  6. Standard member Toe
    19 Nov '03 13:38
    Set the compass' radius to the seperation of A and B.
    Draw two circles, one centered on A, the other on B.
    Use the ruler to draw a staight line between A and B.
    Then draw a straight line between the two cross points of the two circles: Call this the 'midline'.
    The two straight lines will form a cross exactly in the midpoint of the two points A and B: call this the 'cross point'
    Set the compass' radius to the seperation of the crosspoint and either A or B.
    Draw a smaller circle centered on the cross point.
    The point at which this smaller circle cuts the midline on either side will give you the two solution points.
  7. 21 Nov '03 17:47
    Originally posted by Toe
    Set the compass' radius to the seperation of A and B.
    Draw two circles, one centered on A, the other on B.
    Use the ruler to draw a staight line between A and B.
    Then draw a straight line between the two cross points of the two circles: Call this the 'midline'.
    The two straight lines will form a cross exactly in the midpoint of the two points A and B: call ...[text shortened]... which this smaller circle cuts the midline on either side will give you the two solution points.
    incorrect.
    hint: there are either 4 or 0 solution points for a given X:Y ratio
  8. 22 Nov '03 23:46
    don't use a compas and straight edge, use a peice of string.
  9. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    23 Nov '03 18:43
    Find a table that is level.

    Take the string and lay more than half on the table...

    Let shorter side dangle off the table.

    Should be aright angle!

    P
  10. 24 Nov '03 21:26
    good job!
    but you didn't answer the question.
  11. Standard member royalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    24 Nov '03 21:36
    No flaming, or you face the Wrath o' Russ.

    Good on you, Phlabby.

    Shame on you, fearlessleader, for not stipulating that this string business was taking place in some sort of gravitational field
  12. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    25 Nov '03 02:40
    Aha!

    The answer is One.

    P
  13. 25 Nov '03 20:57
    the answer is not one, the closest even vaugly correct answer to one is four.

    and we should be able to flame eachother, that's half the fun of having fourmus.
  14. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    27 Nov '03 15:19
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    1. Find a table that is level.

    2. Take the string and lay more than half on the table...

    3. Let shorter side dangle off the table.

    Should be aright angle!

    P
    3 steps....
  15. 29 Nov '03 16:17
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    3 steps....
    no.
    that proses dose not answer the question, all it dose is fourm a right angle.