1. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    18 Aug '07 12:47
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Depends how concentrated the alcohol is. Caffeine's a diuretic too, but Coke's been putting out commercials that their product has been proven to hydrate. I guess the caffeine level is low enough that some of the water stays.
    Or the marketing geniuses at Coke are lying. (They wouldn't do that... would they?)

Have you ever noticed the similarity of spelling between Guinness and Geniuses... one e for one n... hmmm... coincidence, I think not!
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Aug '07 17:57
    Originally posted by Gastel
    Or the marketing geniuses at Coke are lying. (They wouldn't do that... would they?)

Have you ever noticed the similarity of spelling between Guinness and Geniuses... one e for one n... hmmm... coincidence, I think not!
    I doubt they'd have the gall to lie on TV like that about something they could so easily test.
  3. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    18 Aug '07 20:01
    While Guinness should be consumed alongside other sources of nutrition (chips and a batter sausage are ideal) it does contain enormous quantities of iron and minerals (hence the black and stone hard poop after a session, don't worry, it's perfectly normal and goes away within a day or two).

So much so in fact that when my mum was pregnant with my little brother (about 14 years ago) her doctor suggested drinking a small can of Guinness (~33cl) every two or three days instead of taking mineral or vitamin supplements.

He's the only red head in the family. Poor bastard.
    But apart from the ginge he's healthy.
  4. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 01:49
    I doubt they'd have the gall to lie on TV like that about something they could so easily test.
    I think the word 'spin' needs to enter the vocabulary at this point. All press is good press. So they would lie about it. If someone tested it, they could claim some specific variable wasn't accounted for and get attention all the same. Aquafina (Pepsi) has been recently forced to state more clearly that their water is actually tap water.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/07/27/aquafina.html

Notice Dasani (Coca-Cola) is there too. The spin is that they get their lobbyists to talk with the CHMC who state that home osmosis is water inefficient unless the brine waste is used elsewhere (which is an easy setup to create if you are interested in having salty water to use on watering your grass etc.).

SPIN SPIN SPIN

And they look like concerned corporations when they obviously already knew what they were doing and now have been publicly outed.

Yes they have the gall to lie on TV.
  5. Dublin
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 18:46
    Have you ever noticed the similarity of spelling between Guinness and Geniuses.
    That was the basis of an ad for Guinness several years ago.
  6. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    19 Aug '07 19:19
    Originally posted by Schumi
    That was the basis of an ad for Guinness several years ago.
    Yeah, a recurring theme in the mid eighties. My favourite poster was of the evolution of man, from chimp up to modern man and then in front of him a huge pint of Guinness. (yeah, a pint is a pint, I know, but you know what I mean.)
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Aug '07 21:39
    I think the word 'spin' needs to enter the vocabulary at this point. All press is good press. So they would lie about it. If someone tested it, they could claim some specific variable wasn't accounted for and get attention all the same. Aquafina (Pepsi) has been recently forced to state more clearly that their water is actually tap water.

http://www. ...[text shortened]... hat they were doing and now have been publicly outed.

Yes they have the gall to lie on TV.
    So - is Coke lying about their product hydrating?
  8. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    23 Aug '07 01:12
    So - is Coke lying about their product hydrating?
    About water? Are you asking stupid questions for a reason? The point is not the hydration of water... drink sewer water if you want that. The point is that clean pure water is not what they are providing, but what they want you to believe is the product. Truthiness.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 Aug '07 03:42
    About water? Are you asking stupid questions for a reason? The point is not the hydration of water... drink sewer water if you want that. The point is that clean pure water is not what they are providing, but what they want you to believe is the product. Truthiness.
    Are you even reading this thread?
  10. Standard memberAsthereal
    Dark Matter
    Maastricht
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 16:51
    Originally posted by Maria Von Kempelen
    "Guinness only contains 198 calories (838 kilojoules) per imperial pint (20oz UK) (1460 kJ/L), fewer than an equal-sized serving of skimmed milk or orange juice and most other non-light beers." (wikipedia)

Your body (active adult) requires 3000 calories / day..
    You'll need 15 pints a day ... You might survive for a few days, but also get very drunk 🙂
    I always thought that to be a good thing 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree