1. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 05:07
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    There is only one number in pi - pi itself.
    Actually every number possible in present within the digits of pi. Including e in theory.
  2. Joined
    20 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 08:541 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Actually every number possible in present within the digits of pi. Including e in theory.
    But then wouldn't the difference between e and (edit: an integer multiple of) pi be a rational number?

With all respect, I don't think this is true.
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 09:30
    Originally posted by SPMars
    But then wouldn't the difference between e and pi be a rational number?

With all respect, I don't think this is true.
    I should clarify:

The digits of pi contain every possible sequence of digits including e to any number of significant digits you wish.
  4. London
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 09:381 edit
    I should clarify:

The digits of pi contain every possible sequence of digits including e to any number of significant digits you wish.
    Why? Are you sure? Irrationality certainly doesn't require that.

EDIT. Looks like it's an open question - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi#Open_questions - seen as how it's not known even whether the numbers 0-9 each occur infinitely in pi's decimal expansion. Unless you have more uptodate mathematical knowledge, Xanthos?
  5. Joined
    20 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 09:514 edits
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Yes, the number

(where the nth 1 is in the n! place)

has been proven to be transcendental (and therefore irrational) and there are plenty of integer sequences it does not contain.

I could be wrong, but I thought that questions regarding the decimal expansion of pi were quite difficult. I'm not sure what Xanthos says in his last post has actually been proven mathematically. (Edit: although it's very plausible and empirical evidence certainly backs it up.)
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 09:531 edit
    Pi is irrational so it therefore contains an infinite number of digits. Pi also does not repeat in any way. Therefore it must contain every finite string somewhere within it.

EDIT: To emperically prove it you'd have to show that the digits of pi are in fact random. This is pretty much impossible to prove but it can be shown that pi passes every test of randomness you wish to throw at it.
  7. London
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 09:56
    Pi is irrational so it therefore contains an infinite number of digits. Pi also does not repeat in any way. Therefore it must contain every finite string somewhere within it.

EDIT: To emperically prove it you'd have to show that the digits of pi are in fact random. This is pretty much impossible to prove but it can be shown that pi passes every test of randomness you wish to throw at it.
    See edit to previous post - you are incorrect, it is not (yet) a fact that pi contains every sequence. In fact, according to wikipedia, it's not known whether the numbers 0 to 9 do occur infintiely in it (an obvious prerequisite for your claim.)

I don't follow your logic, btw. Surely it would be easy to construct a non-repeating, irrational number without certain digits in it?
  8. Joined
    20 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 10:03
    Surely it would be easy to construct a non-repeating, irrational number without certain digits in it?
    Yes. Just use 0 and 1s in any non-repeating fashion.

eg. 0.101001000100001000001000....

But the actual example I gave above was transcendental (unnecessary I know!).
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 10:07
    See edit to previous post - you are incorrect, it is not (yet) a fact that pi contains every sequence. In fact, according to wikipedia, it's not known whether the numbers 0 to 9 do occur infintiely in it (an obvious prerequisite for your claim.)

I don't follow your logic, btw. Surely it would be easy to construct a non-repeating, irrational number without certain digits in it?
    You could only construct such a number by instituting rules into the number (9 can never follow 6). If it can be shown that pi is random then obviously such rules do not exist. The fact that spigot algorithm exists for pi is an extremely strong indicator that this is true.
  10. London
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 10:14
    You could only construct such a number by instituting rules into the number (9 can never follow 6). If it can be shown that pi is random then obviously such rules do not exist. The fact that spigot algorithm exists for pi is an extremely strong indicator that this is true.
    A mathematical statement is either proven or not. Establishing truth is not an exercise in offering up impressionistic evidence to the subjectivities of a jury; it is a watertight activity. Your previous claims could be reasonably modified by the world "probably", however.
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 10:23
    A mathematical statement is either proven or not. Establishing truth is not an exercise in offering up impressionistic evidence to the subjectivities of a jury; it is a watertight activity. Your previous claims could be reasonably modified by the world "probably", however.
    I agree. I should have prefaced my statement with a probably. But I can never keep track of what has and hasn't been mathematically proven.
  12. London
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 13:331 edit
    I agree. I should have prefaced my statement with a probably. But I can never keep track of what has and hasn't been mathematically proven.
    My undergraduate degree was in mathematics and frankly, I couldn't even understand what was meant to be proven or not most of the time, let alone anything more ambitious.

Btw, I was thinking about these 'normal numbers' (new to me as of this morning) - numbers whose decimal part contains all number sequences - just now on the tube. It's kind of anti-intuitive that they exist until you remember the cardinality of the natural numbers, & that the size of the set of all finite number sequences must be aleph zero too. But I was wondering more specifically, what is precise definition of a 'random decimal' and is it sufficient for normality? Or just necessary? And across all bases . . . ? EDIT. And how to prove 'random', unless deliberately constructed as such from definition (ie unlike most important numbers)?
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 15:47
    Originally posted by LinkHyrule
    I am your contant companion.
    I am your greatest helper or heaviest burden.
    I will push you onward or drag you down to failure.
    I am completely at your command.
    Half of the things you do you might just as well turn over to me and I will be able to do them quickly and correctly.

I am easily managed-you must merely be firm with me.
    Show me exactly ho ...[text shortened]... , and I will place the world at your feet.
    Be easy with me and I will destroy you.

Who am I?
    The answer is... a wife
  14. e4: owningthecenter
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 20:28
    Being a non-math guy. How does one calculate pi. Is there a formula?. Do they measure a radius and diameter more and more exact? I don't understand how they keep getting more and more digits. Please explain.
  15. Joined
    20 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '06 22:232 edits
    Originally posted by Gammastyle
    Being a non-math guy. How does one calculate pi. Is there a formula?. Do they measure a radius and diameter more and more exact? I don't understand how they keep getting more and more digits. Please explain.
    You cannot measure the diameter and circumference of a circle to arbitrary precision, so that method is out (and in any case, pi is a mathematical constant, not a physical one...so any "real world" way of calculating pi isn't going to work).

There are on the other hand plenty of formulae for pi in the form of infinite series (sums) and products.

One formula you could use to work out pi to arbitrarily high precision is

pi = 4 x (1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ... )

although the convergence here is very, very slow (ie. you'd have to look at loads of terms in the sum just to get a few decimal places).

There are other methods which give very fast convergence....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree