Here's a one. Can you handle it?

Here's a one. Can you handle it?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

London

Moves
11 Jul 06

Originally posted by Gammastyle
Being a non-math guy. How does one calculate pi. Is there a formula?. Do they measure a radius and diameter more and more exact? I don't understand how they keep getting more and more digits. Please explain.
SPMars is right - calculation of pi is based on abstract understanding not concrete procedure on diagrams.

Your post raises an interesting question, though. Is there such a thing as a circle? I mean in the real-world - is it possible to make a circle out of reality?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
12 Jul 06

Originally posted by TommyC
My undergraduate degree was in mathematics and frankly, I couldn't even understand what was meant to be proven or not most of the time, let alone anything more ambitious.

Btw, I was thinking about these 'normal numbers' (new to me as of this morning) - numbers whose decimal part contains all number sequences - just now on the tube. It's kind of anti-intuit ...[text shortened]... ess deliberately constructed as such from definition (ie unlike most important numbers)?
The fact that they exist is easy enough for me to imagine but I cannot even begin to think about how to prove a number is indeed normal.

As to what a random decimal is I would view it as a number in which a decimal cannot be predicted in any way based on preceeding numbers. There is no pattern and every number is equally likely to occur.
A spigot algorithm (a way of generating the nth digit without knowing the preceeding digits) would seem like a good indicator of the first bit (no pattern) but it isn't a proof and even the second bit (all numbers being equally possible) isn't proven.

Apparently also Absolutely Normal numbers have been constructed. That is numbers that are normal in every base.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Jul 06

Originally posted by Gammastyle
Being a non-math guy. How does one calculate pi. Is there a formula?. Do they measure a radius and diameter more and more exact? I don't understand how they keep getting more and more digits. Please explain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
12 Jul 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi
Perhaps one of the few math related subjects that wikipedia covers in greater depth than Mathworld.

T

London

Moves
12 Jul 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
As to what a random decimal is I would view it as a number in which a decimal cannot be predicted in any way based on preceeding numbers. There is no pattern and every number is equally likely to occur.
But how tight is this. 0.123456789101112131415161718... is (trivially) normal, but how does it satisfy the definition of random as having 'no pattern'? The pattern is obvious to human eyes...

L

Corner Brook NFLD CA

Moves
17 Jul 06

Originally posted by uzless
The answer is... a wife
Nope, the answer is not a wife. Can we get of the subject of pi please? I only brought it up to show I had a brain, I actually used to know the first 140 #'s of pi, but as of right now I can only remember 18, it was 3 years ago on Mar 14 1:59, pi time. It was for a contest.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
17 Jul 06

Originally posted by LinkHyrule
Nope, the answer is not a wife. Can we get of the subject of pi please? I only brought it up to show I had a brain, I actually used to know the first 140 #'s of pi, but as of right now I can only remember 18, it was 3 years ago on Mar 14 1:59, pi time. It was for a contest.
A computer can recite pi as far as you wish. It however doesn't have a brain.

Tommy, you have brought up and interesting problem, well at least in my mind. Are there indeed two catagories of normal numbers? Those that satisfy the definition of random and infinite and are therefore normal and those that have a pattern which will give all combinations.

S

Moves
17 Jul 06
1 edit

I think that pi is much more interesting than your original puzzle!

To my mind there is only one definition of normal number:

Let x be a real number. Then x is normal if and only if for each k=0,1,2,....,9 the limit

lim_{n \to \infinity} ((number of k s in first n decimal places of x) / n )

exists and is equal to 1/10.

A number whose digits are drawn from a uniform distribution on {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} will of course be normal. The problem of course is to show this latter property is difficult!

D

Not telling

Moves
17 Jul 06

I am your contant companion.
I am your greatest helper or heaviest burden.
I will push you onward or drag you down to failure.
I am completely at your command.
Half of the things you do you might just as well turn over to me and I will be able to do them quickly and correctly.

I am easily managed-you must merely be firm with me.
Show me exactly ho ...[text shortened]... , and I will place the world at your feet.
Be easy with me and I will destroy you.

Who am I?
I say...hmm. I dunno. OHYEAH, my xbox 360.

L

Corner Brook NFLD CA

Moves
18 Jul 06

Originally posted by DJSoto
I say...hmm. I dunno. OHYEAH, my xbox 360.
I dont know about greatest helper........no xbox and xbox 360 are not answers

In your face

Moves
18 Jul 06

Weight?

L

Corner Brook NFLD CA

Moves
19 Jul 06

Originally posted by jimslyp69
Weight?
Nope, try again

L

Corner Brook NFLD CA

Moves
19 Jul 06

Does anyone want to know how I got it? It may give away a hint.

c

Moves
19 Jul 06

Based on what I went through today I would say the answer is an employee.

K
Mel Kirwan

Hauxton

Moves
19 Jul 06

Does anyone want to know how I got it? It may give away a hint.
Please can we have a hint and close this off?!