1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 07:10
    White has just accidently brushed against the knight as he puts his big fat fingers around the rook to remove it from the board.

KxR mate
  2. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 07:172 edits
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    Joke problem. White has to mate in one. Only he's touched the knight! how does he mate in one?

[fen]8/8/3PpP2/4k2R/4N1P1/B4rR1/1B3PK1/2B5[/fen]
    Owh,... Ke2xf3. The trick is that you don't need to search for giving check since black allready is in check twice. This feels unnaturally.

-Edit-
    And he touched the Knight legally by saying: "I ll just put my piece to the center of it's square I am not going to move it.

-Edit 2-
    And I missed that wolfgang allready figured this out 😞
  3. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 07:26
    There's the trick 😀 I was looking for the more succinct "Say j'adoube then Kxf3" but I'll give you it.
  4. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 07:29
    Why using an illegal position? Is the correct answer given sooner if the possition would be legal?
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 07:391 edit
    Originally posted by metbierop
    Why using an illegal position? Is the correct answer given sooner if the possition would be legal?
    Exactly. I thought the point was that the mate must be in a legal position. (i.e. without the double check that is illegal in that position)

Edit - Evidently, that wasn't the point.
  6. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 07:39
    I felt it was prettier. I tried some legal positions, but I ended up giving the knight only one or two moves, and then it just becomes like a standard mate in one where you can't do it with the piece.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 10:23
    Why is the position illegal? Is there such a thing as an illegal position?

Granted the moves that led to the position would have been illegal if challenged but presumably they were not.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 12:03
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Why is the position illegal? Is there such a thing as an illegal position?

Granted the moves that led to the position would have been illegal if challenged but presumably they were not.
    Yes there is. If it's subsequently discovered that an illegal move has been made you are required to go back to the last legal position. The rules are on the FIDE website.
  9. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 15:351 edit
    There's the trick 😀 I was looking for the more succinct "Say j'adoube then Kxf3" but I'll give you it.
    According to the FIDE Handbook, Laws of Chess, white must announce his/her intent to adjust the piece before touching it:

Article 4: The act of moving the pieces

4.1 Each move must be made with one hand only.

4.2 Provided that he first expresses his intention (e.g. by saying "j`adoube" or "I adjust" ), the player having the move may adjust one or more pieces on their squares.

4.3 Except as provided in Article 4.2, if the player having the move deliberately touches on the chessboard

1. one or more of his own pieces, he must move the first piece touched that can be moved, or

2. one or more of his opponent`s pieces, he must capture the first piece touched, which can be captured, or

3. one piece of each colour, he must capture the opponent`s piece with his piece or, if this is illegal, move or capture the first piece touched which can be moved or captured. If it is unclear, whether the player`s own piece or his opponent`s was touched first, the player`s own piece shall be considered to have been touched before his opponent`s.

http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE101
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 15:58
    I felt it was prettier. I tried some legal positions, but I ended up giving the knight only one or two moves, and then it just becomes like a standard mate in one where you can't do it with the piece.
    Minor problem: There can be no checkmate in an illegal position.
  11. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 16:02
    Originally posted by PBE6
    According to the FIDE Handbook, Laws of Chess, white must announce his/her intent to adjust the piece before touching it:

[b]Article 4: The act of moving the pieces

4.1 Each move must be made with one hand only.

4.2 Provided that he first expresses his intention (e.g. by saying "j`adoube" or "I adjust" ), the player having the move may adjust one ...[text shortened]... been touched before his opponent`s.

http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE101[/b]
    well that sure own3d me.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 16:59

The players are in time trouble and they stopped keeping score many moves ago.
    White mates in 1.
  13. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 20:22
    Rb8#
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 20:32
    Originally posted by Gastel
    Rb8#
    Right. That's the only way to get a legal checkmate position.
  15. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 21:09
    did i miss the solution of the first puzzle somehow, or why is there a new one already? and why is it Rb8? because last (legal) move could have been axb8 R then?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree