How many protons in the known universe

How many protons in the known universe

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
13 Apr 06

Originally posted by Alcra
OK, we have come pretty close to each other, using two different techniques.

Any other ideas?
And what topology of the universe at a whole did you use? Just plain flat as an approximation? What is the current value of Hubble constant? Is it really constant?

Do we know about the ration between number of protons and number of neutrons to calculate the mass of the universe in form of ordinary matter? What about other heavy exotic particles? Do we really know? And how much does our answer differ from the true value? Do we make any error estimations? Any thoughts about that?

Does the number of protons = 3.5 x 10^78 any real value at all? Or it is only a brainteaser that any answer will do?

Do any one care, anyway? Am I a fun killer... 🙄

A
Lazy Sod

Everywhere

Moves
13 Apr 06

Originally posted by FabianFnas
And what topology of the universe at a whole did you use? Just plain flat as an approximation? What is the current value of Hubble constant? Is it really constant?

Do we know about the ration between number of protons and number of neutrons to calculate the mass of the universe in form of ordinary matter? What about other heavy exotic particles? Do we ...[text shortened]... only a brainteaser that any answer will do?

Do any one care, anyway? Am I a fun killer... 🙄
You are making the problem unnecessarily complex. The original questions was in terms of the "known universe".

Take any definition you want of that, explain your thought processes, and provide an answer.

m
Not Royalty

Not in a palace

Moves
14 Apr 06

Originally posted by Drumbo
There are four protons in the universe.
Three now - I ate one.

l
Man of Steel

rushing to and fro

Moves
15 Apr 06

Originally posted by mosquitorespect
Three now - I ate one.
Spit that out. You don't know where it's been!

F

Moves
16 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Alcra
You are making the problem unnecessarily complex. The original questions was in terms of the "known universe".

Take any definition you want of that, explain your thought processes, and provide an answer.
If we just want to have an answer, any answer, right one or false, than we are fully satisfied.
But if we really want a discussion about the proposed answer then I am on the right way.

Noone has taken the topology of the universe into consideration. If we do, then the answer could be much less or much more as the proposed number of protons. The topology is imprortant even if we take the size of the known universe.

Perhaps the known universe is the whole universe considering you can observe the background radiation in every direction. And the source of background radiation is known...

Do you have any thought of the kind?

s
Astrophysicist

Outer Space

Moves
23 Apr 06
2 edits

My calculation was using a flat universe (which is pretty well accepted to be true), Hubble constant = 71 km/s/Mpc, to within a few (although that doesn't figure into how many protons there are today in the visible universe), and of course, the Hubble parameter is not constant over time, it changes because the universe is expanding due to the dominance of dark energy over other forms of energy in the universe.

The background radiation is always visible throughout time. It is just the light that is finally reaching us from the distance equivalent to the age of the universe times the speed of light. (Actually, it would be the age of the universe minus about 300,000 years, which is roughly the time those photons had their last scattering.)

F

Moves
24 Apr 06

Originally posted by sven1000
My calculation was using a flat universe (which is pretty well accepted to be true)
No, not considered beeing the truth, more considered beeing a fair approximation until you know more about topology of the universe.

We don't know anything about the topology yet. We're just guessing.

F

Moves
24 Apr 06

No, not considered beeing the truth, more considered beeing a fair approximation until you know more about topology of the universe.
I don't mean 'you', the sentence would better read: "until *one knows* more about topology of the universe"

(English is not my mother tongue.)

l

Moves
26 Apr 06

actually, when you heat something, you put energy into it so its mass (therefore matter) also increases because of e=mc^2
!!!!!!

SS

Moves
26 Apr 06

F

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by laur3tta
actually, when you heat something, you put energy into it so its mass (therefore matter) also increases because of e=mc^2
!!!!!!
That's right - mass increases, number of protons doesn't.

a
Enola Straight

mouse mouse mouse

Moves
26 Apr 06

No one has brought up the fact that the answer to this question would constantly change, even if the known universe didn't expand. In beta decay, a form of radioactive decay, a nuetron is converted into a proton and an electron.

F

Moves
27 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by ark13
No one has brought up the fact that the answer to this question would constantly change, even if the known universe didn't expand. In beta decay, a form of radioactive decay, a nuetron is converted into a proton and an electron.
You're perfectly right. The number of protons are not constant, regardless of expansion or not.

So - has the actual answer ("What is the number of protons in the Universe?"😉 any meaning at all? If we discussed the mass of universe, expressed by proton mass equivalence, that's one thing, but now we try to count the numbers of protons. Not the neutrons, not other heavy particles, just protons.

The collected mass of the universe, not only the region which is known, but the entire universe, is crucial for understanding the topology of universe. Flat, parabolic, hyperbolic topology. And before we know that, we can only guess the number of protons (and neutrons).

And so far I haven't mention the so called dark matter, and dark energy, that make the universe behave in a totally new fashion compared with our view ten years ago. Do we know more - or less now?

s
Astrophysicist

Outer Space

Moves
02 May 06

We don't know anything about the topology yet. We're just guessing.
This is actually the field I work in, and we know pretty well that it is a flat universe.

m
Y.N.W.A

Athens

Moves
02 May 06

I've read all the above posts with great enthusiasm,

But i think the answer is 54 give or take 🙂