Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Joined
    25 Aug '06
    Moves
    0
    11 Jul '08 11:29
    Can somebody (SwissGambit? πŸ˜‰) post some examples of difficult retros? but NOT PGs, please - I have enough of those.πŸ˜€

    Thank youπŸ™‚
  2. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    827
    11 Jul '08 16:20
    Hmm, I typed "difficult retro" on google. This was the first result:
    I don't know how to set "illegal" positions in fen, so I will just write the pieces squares.

    Pieces: Kc8, Kd6, Qc6, Rd8, Rf6, Ba8, Ne8, a7, b7

    Colour the pieces. What was the last move?

    I'm afraid it's too easy for you though, so I will look a bit further πŸ˜‰
  3. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    5939
    11 Jul '08 16:421 edit
  4. Joined
    25 Aug '06
    Moves
    0
    11 Jul '08 16:50
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    [fen]B1KRN3/PP6/2QK1R2/8/8/8/8/8[/fen]
    Actually, this retro is not difficult at all...πŸ™
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    5939
    11 Jul '08 16:53
    Ever tried your hand at SwissGambit's Illegal Cluster problem(s)?
  6. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    827
    11 Jul '08 17:111 edit
    how about this (unless you know it already, it will probably keep you busy for a while πŸ˜‰):



    white to move and draw.
  7. Joined
    12 Sep '07
    Moves
    2668
    12 Jul '08 10:06
    Hint: 50-move rule
  8. Joined
    25 Aug '06
    Moves
    0
    12 Jul '08 16:33
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    how about this (unless you know it already, it will probably keep you busy for a while πŸ˜‰):

    [fen]nB3RbN/1kppppq1/1p4p1/1P3p2/Bp3P1n/4PrbP/2PP1rP1/R3K3 w - - 0 1[/fen]

    white to move and draw.
    But in that one the idea is clear immediately (that white castles and thus proves that 50 moves were made without capture/pawn move).
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    12 Jul '08 16:541 edit
    Originally posted by David113
    Can somebody (SwissGambit? πŸ˜‰) post some examples of difficult retros? but NOT PGs, please - I have enough of those.πŸ˜€

    Thank youπŸ™‚

    Release the position
  10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    5939
    12 Jul '08 17:061 edit
    That means, I suppose, pick as few as possible pieces off the board in order to make it legal?

    edit: Googled it, I suppose you need to fix the diagram (2 Black Kings)
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    12 Jul '08 17:27
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    That means, I suppose, pick as few as possible pieces off the board in order to make it legal?

    edit: Googled it, I suppose you need to fix the diagram (2 Black Kings)
    How did you find it given that the diagram was wrong?
  12. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    5939
    12 Jul '08 17:301 edit
    "Release the position"

    In essence, this stipulation asks you to find how a given (usually quite tangled) position can be reached legally. So that it really asks for a proof game but without insisting on giving all painful details of a proof game. You "only" have to find the tricky maneuver that is required to lock everything the way it appears in the diagram.
  13. Joined
    25 Aug '06
    Moves
    0
    12 Jul '08 18:31
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    How did you find it given that the diagram was wrong?
    I guess he googled "release the position", not the diagram, and found that in a "release the position" problem the position must be leagl so the 2 kings are a mistake.πŸ™‚
  14. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    5939
    12 Jul '08 19:05
    Originally posted by David113
    I guess he googled "release the position", not the diagram, and found that in a "release the position" problem the position must be leagl so the 2 kings are a mistake.πŸ™‚
    Yes, that is what I did, sorry for being unclear.
  15. Joined
    25 Aug '06
    Moves
    0
    12 Jul '08 20:55
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    [fen]Nrbb4/qprp3p/PpQK1p1P/RRpp4/Brk2P2/B1P5/1PP5/1N6 w[/fen]
    Release the position
    Thank you SwissGambitπŸ™‚
Back to Top