1. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 03:481 edit
    A man died, leaving his possessions to his 3 sons. Part of that inheritance were 11 camels. The instructions of the deceased was that exact half of the camels would go to the eldest son, 1/4 of the camels to the middle son, and 1/6 to the youngest.

It was obvious cutting the camels was out of the question, but they were in a quandary until a wise man came along. He was told of the situation and porposed a solution. What was his solution?
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 04:18
    Originally posted by geepamoogle
    A man died, leaving his possessions to his 3 sons. Part of that inheritance were 11 camels. The instructions of the deceased was that exact half of the camels would go to the eldest son, 1/4 of the camels to the middle son, and 1/6 to the youngest.

It was obvious cutting the camels was out of the question, but they were in a quandary until a wise ma ...[text shortened]... ame along. He was told of the situation and porposed a solution. [b]What was his solution?
    [/b]
    He let them borrow a camel. Didn't we just do this one?
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 05:37
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    He let them borrow a camel. Didn't we just do this one?
    And the same soluton: 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/6 doesn't ad up to 100%. Who ineherit the rest?
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 05:44
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    And the same soluton: 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/6 doesn't ad up to 100%. Who ineherit the rest?
    I think the lawyers got it.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 17:28
    What about this one?

My father, the herdsman, wanted to give me half of his herd to me with the condition that I didn't kill any one of the sheep.
    It turned out he just had only one sheep. So I borrowed another sheep from a neighbour. Half of the two sheep is now only one sheep which I kept, and returned the other one to the neighbour.

The question is - who has the other half of the herd?

If there was no neighbour and I just drew a sheep on a piece of paper, symbolizing one sheep. Could I do the same thing anyway? Keeping half of the herd, i.e. one sheep? Is the other sheep really necessary?
    What would my father say when half of his herd now is drew on a piece of paper?
  6. Standard membersven1000
    Astrophysicist
    Outer Space
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 05:53
    I'd say your father was a pretty lousy herdsman to only have one sheep, and I don't think you should go into the family trade. 😉
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 06:25
    What about this one?

My father, the herdsman, wanted to give me half of his herd to me with the condition that I didn't kill any one of the sheep.
    It turned out he just had only one sheep. So I borrowed another sheep from a neighbour. Half of the two sheep is now only one sheep which I kept, and returned the other one to the neighbour.

The question ...[text shortened]... lly necessary?
    What would my father say when half of his herd now is drew on a piece of paper?
    This sort of puzzle is illogical but sounds like it's logical.

Borrowing a sheep does not make your father's herd size 2. Nor does drawing a sheep.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 08:391 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    This sort of puzzle is illogical but sounds like it's logical.

Borrowing a sheep does not make your father's herd size 2. Nor does drawing a sheep.
    So very true.

The solution of this kind of problem (camels or dogs or whatever) has nothing to do with that you borrow a unit and leave it back afterwards.
    The solution is to find out that the problem is illogical and how it is so.
  9. Earth Prime
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 20:29
    the meek shall inherit the earth
  10. Joined
    20 May '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 23:09
    Rounding up the fractions to the nearest whole number means that the sons get 6, 3 and 2 camels.

its either that or you round down and have a bbq
  11. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 23:34
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    I think the lawyers got it.
    And if not the lawyers, then the government or anyone else who heard that there was a dead guy giving things away!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree