Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 24 Mar '07 04:44 / 2 edits
    What is the least sided shape in this image? It must be a closed figure.

    http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h56/calmsavior/Least-sided-Shape.jpg
  2. 24 Mar '07 05:18
    The D with only 2 sides?
  3. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 Mar '07 17:26
    Are these shapes supposed to be orthographic projections of 3 dimensional objects? And we are supposed to figure out which 3D shape would have the smallest number of sides? Is that the puzzle?
  4. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    25 Mar '07 08:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Are these shapes supposed to be orthographic projections of 3 dimensional objects? And we are supposed to figure out which 3D shape would have the smallest number of sides? Is that the puzzle?
    Objects have faces, vertices and corners not sides.
    Gatel solved it.
  5. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    26 Mar '07 15:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Gastel
    The D with only 2 sides?
    LOL, my instinct was to say the frame around the figures, but your suggestion is even better!
  6. 26 Mar '07 21:42
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Objects have faces, vertices and corners not sides.
    Gatel solved it.
    what counts as a side on a D. Clearly the line on the left, but the curved line on the right is all one 'side'?
  7. 27 Mar '07 02:08
    Originally posted by Coconut
    what counts as a side on a D. Clearly the line on the left, but the curved line on the right is all one 'side'?
    The nut strikes again!

    I guess that means that a circle has no sides, nor does a sphere (ball to you).
  8. 27 Mar '07 08:28
    Originally posted by Gastel
    The D with only 2 sides?
    The C. Depending on whether you count curves as sides, it's either one side, or none.

    Richard
  9. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    27 Mar '07 09:54
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    The C. Depending on whether you count curves as sides, it's either one side, or none.

    Richard
    The C isn't a closed shape and is therefore not up for consideration.
  10. 27 Mar '07 09:57
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    The C isn't a closed shape and is therefore not up for consideration.
    Sorry, I overlooked that.

    Richard
  11. 02 Apr '07 09:05
    I don't think a curve counts as a side, or else it would count as an infinite number of sides, in which case the answer is E) none of the above.
  12. 16 Apr '07 03:11
    If we don't count anything with a curved side, it would be the closed part of the A, which is a triangle.
  13. 16 Apr '07 19:36
    Actually the curve for D isn't a curve, if you look closely, you can see the pixels, which shouldn't be possible for a curve. Therefore, the frame is the least sided figure in the picture.