1. Standard memberTrains44
    Full speed locomotiv
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Feb '06 23:04
    Originally posted by Bishopcrw
    Mathematically, And those who are closer to it are more than welcome to correct me. I believe it is called effective numbering.
    As I stated above it is not just a scientific rounding but mathematical fact.

3 x 1/3 = 1 obviously and 1/3= .333... abv. by .3_
    accordingly .3_ x 3 = .9_
    Since they are identical formulas they must have the same result.
    ...[text shortened]... . Maybe when I become a member one of these days you will grace me with a gameπŸ™‚

Edit -Sp
    You're always makin these crazy numbers but FACT IS , ONE IS ALWAYS HALF WAY THERE NO MATTER WHAT THE DISTANCE!!!
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Feb '06 23:26
    WOW, It never occurred to me! When you explain it that way.....πŸ˜›

TRAINS I sure am glad i have followed your posts for a while other wise I might be hurt.

πŸ˜€
  3. Standard memberTrains44
    Full speed locomotiv
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Feb '06 23:37
    Originally posted by Bishopcrw
    WOW, It never occurred to me! When you explain it that way.....πŸ˜›

TRAINS I sure am glad i have followed your posts for a while other wise I might be hurt.

πŸ˜€
    Thank you!😏😏😏
  4. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 00:46
    Originally posted by TRAINS44
    Thank you!😏😏😏
    Oh look at you in all your smugness!!
  5. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 18:13
    Originally posted by TRAINS44
    Yes SJ247,......NEVER! No matter what Bowmann says! He cant weasel outta this one, no he cant,
    can he?
    Yes, he can Mr. T. As much as it pains me to say it, Bowmann's right.

Consider the case of a bishop dropped onto the floor. It must follow the pattern mentioned, first travelling half the distance to the floor, then travelling half of the remaining distance, and so forth....

The answer is simply that as the bishop approaches the floor, and you keep dividing by two, the "halves" get infinitely small, the bishop starts knockin' off halves at an infinite rate, and sure as heck that bishop's gonna hit the floor.

The moral of the story is, don't drop your bishops. 😳
  6. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '06 18:51
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth

Consider the case of a bishop dropped onto the floor. It must follow the pattern mentioned, first travelling half the distance to the floor, then travelling half of the remaining distance, and so forth....

The answer is simply that as the bishop approaches the floor, and y ...[text shortened]... bishop's gonna hit the floor.

Gravity wasn't a factor in original question. The point I believe was can something move from point A and reach point B if advancing in half-distances of last change in distance.
  7. Joined
    31 Dec '02
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 12:57
    Originally posted by derts
    Does anyone know how far you can lower a never ending piece of string into a bottomless pit?
    Assuming we are talking about the planet Earth..

It will take as long as the diameter, which is.... 12,756.3 KM
  8. Standard memberTrains44
    Full speed locomotiv
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 14:29
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth

The answer is simply that as the bishop approaches the floor, and y ...[text shortened]... bishop's gonna hit the floor.

Thats a DROP, not a controled " moving halfway only" thing.
  9. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 17:15
    Originally posted by SJ247
    Gravity wasn't a factor in original question. The point I believe was can something move from point A and reach point B if advancing in half-distances of last change in distance.
    Oh, I get it now. Each "half" step requires an equal amount of time. My bad. You and Mr. T are quite right. Carry on....
  10. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 19:481 edit
    Originally posted by derts
    Does anyone know how far you can lower a never ending piece of string into a bottomless pit?
    Until it would break eh?

Well if we take that in mind;

the string would take up an infinite amount of space before you'd lower it into the pit. Where would you leave it?

To answer your question: No.

No-one knows, since it's impossible.

EDIT: Such a shame I didn't read the whole thread first...
  11. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 19:541 edit
    Originally posted by SJ247
    PS: I am completely unqualified to make any mathematical claims whatsoever. But I do happen to know what infinity is, and eternity, and forever, and I know nothing will equal zero if halved over and over.
    Yes there is. Mathematicians call it a "limit".
  12. The Great North
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 23:40
    What about of your first move was to point C, which is exactly the same distance A is to B and they all are in a line. You would move halfway to C and end up at B.
  13. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 23:17
    Eventually you would be so close that given the quantum uncertainty in your position you wouldn't be able to tell that you weren't there,
  14. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 23:54
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Eventually you would be so close that given the quantum uncertainty in your position you wouldn't be able to tell that you weren't there,
    You wouldn't "be able to tell", meaning visually? We're talking beyond the scope of visualizing a distance here. Why is it so difficult to reach agreement here, why continue to duel back and forth for the sake of arguing? You cannot reach zero by halving. Period. One does not need a degree in mathematics to know this. And, please, degreed individuals, just admit it. Admit that the only argument you have is dependent on some mathematical rule created for the sake of rounding numbers to keep the mind intact. Answer with your best argument as to why one CAN reach zero by halving a number over and over, then prove it. Result MUST be ZERO, not 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001_ to the stinking millionth Nth degree, or something.
  15. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    14 Feb '06 00:02
    See the old "Does 0.999999999........ = 1?" thread for more discussion of this phenomenon

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree