1. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '06 22:37
    Does anyone know how far you can lower a never ending piece of string into a bottomless pit?
  2. Joined
    22 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 01:09
    um...An infinite distance?
  3. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 04:35
    If it never ends, wouldn't the string be circular, or something of that matter? Or at least ever expanding, which if you couldn't find the end of the string, yeah.

Or, on a different theory. Until the string got out the other side? xD.
  4. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 10:19
    No - the string is one long never ending piece and the hole is infinately deep.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 13:44
    Originally posted by derts
    Does anyone know how far you can lower a never ending piece of string into a bottomless pit?
    Halfway?

😛
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 16:16
    No but hum a few bars
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 20:111 edit
    Well, at some point the weight of the string would pull you in with it.

EDIT - Likewise, the string would probably break under it's own weight at some point.
  8. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 20:22
    Well done. You can only lower the string until the weight of the string in the hole reaches its breaking strain.
  9. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 01:57
    If the string is never ending, then it would seem there is no end to the string to lower. . .

How long is a piece of string???? :-O
  10. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 14:28
    Well done. You can only lower the string until the weight of the string in the hole reaches its breaking strain.
    thats a good answer hehe

one more aspect came into my mind though: it's gravity that pulls the string down the pit and that makes the string break at some point. so "below" the "bottomless" pit there has to be some kind of gravity source. but how can there be something below a pit that never ends?
    if its not below, but at some point next to the pit, then you can lower the string only to that point (unless it breaks before). right?
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 15:19
    Is this some kind of modern string-theory, or what?
  12. Joined
    27 May '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 02:26
    Taking a different view, assume the bottomless pit is a hole clean through the earth (why not? it's bottomless!), then you can lower the string indefinitely -- the force on the string never approaches infinity, in fact it is at its greatest and is finite at the surface of the earth -- the string just sorta balls up at the center of the earth.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 08:26
    This experiment can never be done in reality.

First you have to dig a botomless pit. This take a whole eternity. I don't have the time to wait.

Then you have to manufacure a endless string. This take another whole eternity. I don't have time to wait.

Only after then you can begin to conduct the experiment. Who have bothered to wait this long time to see the result? I havn't.

So what will acctually happen when you lower a never ending piece of string into a bottomless pit? No one will ever know.
  14. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 11:02
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    This experiment can never be done in reality.

First you have to dig a botomless pit. This take a whole eternity. I don't have the time to wait.

Then you have to manufacure a endless string. This take another whole eternity. I don't have time to wait.
    But if you hire an assistant, you can dig the bottomless pit, while he manufactures the endless string. That way you won't have to wait Another whole eternity. In other words, you safe yourself a whole eternity. And that's just the time you need to dig the bottomless pit. I'd give it a try...
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 11:17
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    But if you hire an assistant, I'd give it a try...
    Even at a low salary, say 10 bucks an hour, it will be very expensive to hire an assistant.
    Try multiply the hourly salary by the infinity number of hours it will take to dig the bottomless pit and you'll see the money runs out quite soon.
    I'll say it is an impossible project.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree