1. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 16:14
    Off the top of my head, I thought that they'd be easier to lay (the manhole covers, not the elephants or the chorus line) as they have rotational symmetry - whichever way you try to put them in the hole, they will fit. This isn't true for many alternative shapes.

A similar point occurred - that they are also easier to move around (being, essentially, wheels) - but then I thought that might represent a danger, even if it made life easier when it works...
  2. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 16:15
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Because manholes are round...
    ...and this isn't as facetious as it might first appear - the manholes are round because (presumably - I haven't been down many manholes) the 'tunnel' underneath is a cylinder - which would be a usefully robust shape to make the access tunnel...
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 17:09
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Off the top of my head, I thought that they'd be easier to lay (the manhole covers, not the elephants or the chorus line) as they have rotational symmetry - whichever way you try to put them in the hole, they will fit.
    More to the point, what you can't do with a round manhole cover is rotate it so that you can drop it down the whole...
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 14:19
    This was one of my favorite job interview questions. Amazing the answers you might get!

The most important reason (mentioned several times) is that "round" is the only shape where the (heavy and dangerous) cover could not be accidentally dropped through the hole.

Other obvious answers include cost and weight minimization, the ability to easily move by rolling, the avoidance of sharp edges, the "roundness" of the human body.

Yet it is surprising how many manhole covers you see that are square!
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 03:34
    My manhole covers aren't round. There are round holes for my legs and waist to fit in, but overall, not so round.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 01:27
    So why do they call them MANholes anyway? Why not girlholes?
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 23:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So why do they call them MANholes anyway? Why not girlholes?
    Girls don't go into them...it's too dirty, and girls are sweet and nice and noble and don't do things like slipping into slimy holes.
  8. Joined
    20 Mar '07
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 15:01
    Wait a minute... If they have manholes, why can't they have man-HALVES???
  9. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    16 Jun '09 15:03
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Girls don't go into them...it's too dirty, and girls are sweet and nice and noble and don't do things like slipping into slimy holes.
    I thought it was because it costs $50 extra once she goes in past the elbow. 😕
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 05:45
    Originally posted by Cameron Marler
    Wait a minute... If they have manholes, why can't they have man-HALVES???
    And what about the man-have-nots? Spinsters need love too!
  11. Standard membera winner
    win at all costs
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 14:37
    Originally posted by camilli
    Why is a manhole cover round?

Rank the top 5 answers in order of their importance.
    not all manholes are round,i work in construction in the UK,square and oblong are quite common especialy on 1950s council estates.
  12. Hednesford
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 06:47
    So it will fit
  13. Shanghai
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 10:29
    Originally posted by Aetherael
    I've always heard this as "what's the difference between an acrobatics act and a chorus line..." one's a cunning array of stunts...
    I heard similar. Whats the difference between a circus and a brothel?...One has cunning stunts and the other doesn't

The best thing about the joke though was when a colleague of mine told it at a dinner party. She had no sense of humour, didnt get it but wanted something amusing to say at the dinner, so a friend of mine suggested the above joke. However the version she told was...

Whats the difference between a circus and a brothel?...One has a lot of clever tricks

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree