Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 04 May '08 23:38


    White to play and mate in 3 moves
  2. 05 May '08 00:07 / 1 edit
    Rxq, Kxr, qe2+ Kg1, Rg3+, Kh1, Qg2, is mate in 4.
  3. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    05 May '08 00:57
    Originally posted by ActiveKing
    Rxq, Kxr, qe2+ Kg1, Rg3+, Kh1, Qg2, is mate in 4.
    Lots of mate in 4, Qh1 etc
  4. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    05 May '08 02:30
    Originally posted by David113
    [fen]8/kq1R4/3R4/8/7p/7Q/8/K7[/fen]

    White to play and mate in 3 moves
    1. Rf6 (zugzwang)
    1...Kb8 2. Qb3 Qxb3 3. Rf8#
    1... Ka8 2. Qg2 Qxg2 3. Rf8#
    1... Qc7 2. Rxc7+ Kb8 3. Qc8#
    1...Qxd7 2. Qxd7+ Kb8 3. Rf8#
  5. 05 May '08 09:54
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    1. Rf6 (zugzwang)
    1...Kb8 2. Qb3 Qxb3 3. Rf8#
    1... Ka8 2. Qg2 Qxg2 3. Rf8#
    1... Qc7 2. Rxc7+ Kb8 3. Qc8#
    1...Qxd7 2. Qxd7+ Kb8 3. Rf8#
    SOLV'D
  6. 05 May '08 11:33
    Originally posted by David113
    SOLV'D
    Composed by ...?
  7. 05 May '08 11:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Composed by ...?
    Nils Rutberg
  8. 06 May '08 07:24
    Originally posted by David113
    SOLV'D
    A small error - when 2. Qxd7+ the queen cannot move there - the rook is on f6 and in the way. However, if the rook is simply moved to g6 originally there is no problem with this.
  9. 06 May '08 07:45 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Frank33
    A small error - when 2. Qxd7+ the queen cannot move there - the rook is on f6 and in the way. However, if the rook is simply moved to g6 originally there is no problem with this.
    Think twice before you speak once, they say...

    1. Rf6 Qxd7 2. Qxd7+ is, in fact, possible! I think you somehow misplaced Rf6 'mentally' on f5 (!?)

    Also, your proposed 1. Rg6 does not work due to 1. ... Ka8!, I think. (2. Qg2 Qxg2 3. Rg8+ Qxg8)
    1. Rg6 doesn't work either due to 1. ... Kb8, and now 2. Qb3 Qxb3 3. Rg8+ Qxg8.
    There is a reason 1. Rf6 is the only correct solution.
  10. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    06 May '08 08:05
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Think twice before you speak once, they say...

    1. Rf6 Qxd7 2. Qxd7+ is, in fact, possible! I think you somehow misplaced Rf6 'mentally' on f5 (!?)

    Also, your proposed 1. Rg6 does not work due to 1. ... Ka8!, I think. (2. Qg2 Qxg2 3. Rg8+ Qxg8)
    1. Rg6 doesn't work either due to 1. ... Kb8, and now 2. Qb3 Qxb3 3. Rg8+ Qxg8.
    There is a reason 1. Rf6 is the only correct solution.
    Right. It never hurts to ask, "why must this move be the key, and not other moves that appear to have the same idea?" It keeps you from giving the wrong solution, and deepens your understanding of the problem's logic.
  11. 06 May '08 08:12
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    "why must this move be the key, and not other moves that appear to have the same idea?"
    Often the composer wants the wrong tries to be tried, I think. At least, I would want to (although I have never composed anything decent).
  12. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    06 May '08 22:15
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Often the composer wants the wrong tries to be tried, I think. At least, I would want to (although I have never composed anything decent).
    Old-school composers like Sam Loyd were famous for making the key move the most unlikely looking move on the board. Case in point:

    Sam Loyd
    "Excelsior"

    Mate in 5

    Nowadays, composers tend go for several thematic tries, without much concern about making them more obvious than the key.
  13. 07 May '08 08:04
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Old-school composers like Sam Loyd were famous for making the key move the most unlikely looking move on the board. Case in point:

    Sam Loyd
    "Excelsior"
    [fen]n1rb4/1p3p1p/1p6/1R5K/8/p3p1PN/1PP1R3/N6k w - - 0 1[/fen]
    Mate in 5

    Nowadays, composers tend go for several thematic tries, without much concern about making them more obvious than the key.
    5. bxa8=B#
  14. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    07 May '08 21:14
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    5. bxa8=B#
    Correct. Allegedly, Loyd won a dinner bet on this problem. It was created to fool another problemist, who was asked to pick the least likely piece to give mate - and he chose Pb2!
  15. 07 May '08 23:04
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Correct. Allegedly, Loyd won a dinner bet on this problem. It was created to fool another problemist, who was asked to pick the least likely piece to give mate - and he chose Pb2!
    He had to choose the king