Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 22 Mar '06 17:25
    THIRTY- SIX MINUS TEN

    3+3x3

    5x5x0

    20-15

    ADD THE NUMBERS
  2. Standard member Peakite
    Sais
    22 Mar '06 17:40
    43
  3. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    22 Mar '06 18:07
    31
  4. 22 Mar '06 18:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    31
    I concur.

    Edit: On second thought, I don't. 100
  5. Standard member leisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    22 Mar '06 19:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ronnie48
    THIRTY- SIX MINUS TEN

    3+3x3

    5x5x0

    20-15

    ADD THE NUMBERS
    3+3+3+5+5+0+20+15=54

    EDIT: 3+3+3+5+5+0+2+0+1+5=27

    or 2+7=9

    I give up!
  6. 22 Mar '06 19:08
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    3+3+3+5+5+0+20+15=54
    Thirty, six, and ten are numbers, too.
  7. Standard member leisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    22 Mar '06 19:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Thirty, six, and ten are numbers, too.
    looks like letters to me

    EDIT: Cute whale miss (is it miss?) Nordlys.
  8. 22 Mar '06 19:27
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    looks like letters to me

    EDIT: Cute whale miss (is it miss?) Nordlys.
    From Wikipedia: "A number is an abstract entity that represents a count or measurement. A symbol for a number is called a numeral." A number written in letters is still a number.

    Whalechicken's Faith Whale is cuter than mine, but I am still glad he shared this one with me.
  9. Standard member leisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    22 Mar '06 19:36
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    From Wikipedia: "A number is an abstract entity that represents a count or measurement. A symbol for a number is called a numeral." A number written in letters is still a number.

    Whalechicken's Faith Whale is cuter than mine, but I am still glad he shared this one with me.
    numeral n: a word or symbol representing a number -- Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    In either case, I stand corrected.
  10. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    22 Mar '06 20:40
    54 if you don't count the written numbers as numbers or 100 if you do.
  11. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    23 Mar '06 11:26
    Don't forget the minus signs, possibly indicating negative nubers.
  12. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    23 Mar '06 12:11
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    Don't forget the minus signs, possibly indicating negative nubers.
    We'll have none of that. We're using the Peano axioms in this thread.

    1. 0 is a number.
    2. The succesor of any number is a number.
    3. If a and b are numbers and they have the same succesor then a equals b.
    4. 0 is not the succesor of any number.
    5. If S is a set containing 0, and the succesor of any number n is included in S then S contains all the numbers.

    By rule 4 negative numbers are not numbers.
  13. 23 Mar '06 15:32
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    We'll have none of that. We're using the Peano axioms in this thread.

    1. 0 is a number.
    2. The succesor of any number is a number.
    3. If a and b are numbers and they have the same succesor then a equals b.
    4. 0 is not the succesor of any number.
    5. If [b]S
    is a set containing 0, and the succesor of any number n ...[text shortened]... b]S[/b] then S contains all the numbers.

    By rule 4 negative numbers are not numbers.[/b]
    Ah, but the standard definition of the real number includes the axioms:

    a. There is an additive identity (0)
    b. Every number has an additive inverse
    c. There is a multiplicative identity (1)
    d. Every number (except 0) has a multiplicative inverse
    e. 0 != 1

    c. and b. imply the existence of -1 as a real number.
  14. 26 Mar '06 16:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    We'll have none of that. We're using the Peano axioms in this thread.

    1. 0 is a number.
    2. The succesor of any number is a number.
    3. If a and b are numbers and they have the same succesor then a equals b.
    4. 0 is not the succesor of any number.
    5. If [b]S
    is a set containing 0, and the succesor of any number n ...[text shortened]... b]S[/b] then S contains all the numbers.

    By rule 4 negative numbers are not numbers.[/b]
    Peanos axioms is about natural numbers, not only numbers. -1 is not a natural number by these asioms, for that you have to have an extention to the natural numbers - the integers.

    But of course -1 is a number. (Of which kind?) An integer. (Not a natural number?) No, there is no negative natural numbers. Not by the Peanos axiom of the natural numbers, anyway. (Why?) Zero is the smallest natural number. (Why?) "0 is not the successor of any natural number."
  15. 31 Mar '06 23:34
    Originally posted by Ronnie48
    THIRTY- SIX MINUS TEN

    3+3x3

    5x5x0

    20-15

    ADD THE NUMBERS
    45? Is that even close to correct?