1. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 20:27
    just came up with a puzzle cause i had this bottles of water and of juice here. the water bottle has a capacity of 1.5 liters, but is filled with 1 liter only. the juice bottle has 1 liter capacity and is still full.
    so now i want to make a water-juice mixture of 50-50 only using these 2 bottles. first i'll put 0.5 of 1 liter juice into the water bottle until its filled. then this mixture back to the juice bottle. how long do i have to do that until i have a 50-50 mixture in both bottles? i guess there must be an easy formula, something with limes probably. but im too tired to figure it out right now, yet i want a 50-50 mixture 😛
  2. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 03:04
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    just came up with a puzzle cause i had this bottles of water and of juice here. the water bottle has a capacity of 1.5 liters, but is filled with 1 liter only. the juice bottle has 1 liter capacity and is still full.
    so now i want to make a water-juice mixture of 50-50 only using these 2 bottles. first i'll put 0.5 of 1 liter juice into the water bottle u ...[text shortened]... with limes probably. but im too tired to figure it out right now, yet i want a 50-50 mixture 😛
    You'd be able to acheive 49-51 after 5 half-emptying-and-refillings of the juice bottle, assuming complete mixing and no evaporation.

The juice concentrations in the juice bottle progress as 1, 2/3, 5/9, 14/27, 41/81, etc., I think.
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 15:271 edit
    so now i want to make a water-juice mixture of 50-50 only using these 2 bottles. first i'll put 0.5 of 1 liter juice into the water bottle u ...[text shortened]... with limes probably. but im too tired to figure it out right now, yet i want a 50-50 mixture 😛
    pour into the sink half the water and half the juice. Fill the juice bottle back up with the water.

You now have 1 litre of juice/water at a 50/50 ratio....0.5 litres of water, 0.5 litres of juice.

you could do it with .75 litres of each if you wanted more final product too (1.5 litres)
  4. Joined
    25 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 17:002 edits
    You will never get a 50-50 mixture in both bottles. Initially, the juice concentration in bottle A is higher than in bottle B. This always stays so.
  5. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 17:18
    Originally posted by David113
    You will never get a 50-50 mixture in both bottles. Initially, the juice concentration in bottle A is higher than in bottle B. This always stays so.
    Very true. Although you can get as close as you like. Depends on how sophisticated crazyblue's Tang(TM) tastebuds are. 😵
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 18:12
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Very true. Although you can get as close as you like. Depends on how sophisticated crazyblue's Tang(TM) tastebuds are. 😵
    gentlemen, You are correct that he wouldn't get a complete mixture simply by transferring liquid from one bottle to another.

However, assuming these bottles have the same sized opening (think plastic soda pop bottles) he could place the water bottle on a table, and then carefully balance the juice bottle upside down on top of the water bottle (both openings touching each other).

This would in effect make one large container. He could then carefully shake the combined bottles to effectively fully mix the juice and water together. Then he could just remove the top bottle and have the bottom bottle full of 50/50 liquid.
  7. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    20 Oct '06 18:59
    Originally posted by uzless
    This would in effect make one large container. He could then carefully shake the combined bottles to effectively fully mix the juice and water together. Then he could just remove the top bottle and have the bottom bottle full of 50/50 liquid.
    Now this is thinking outside the box!
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Oct '06 19:32
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Now this is thinking outside the box!
    Its what I was going to say but he beat me to it.
  9. Joined
    18 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '06 21:36
    Originally posted by uzless
    gentlemen, You are correct that he wouldn't get a complete mixture simply by transferring liquid from one bottle to another.

However, assuming these bottles have the same sized opening (think plastic soda pop bottles) he could place the water bottle on a table, and then carefully balance the juice bottle upside down on top of the water bottle (both openi ...[text shortened]... her. Then he could just remove the top bottle and have the bottom bottle full of 50/50 liquid.
    i agree, there are those things that if you put on to the 2 bottles you get a tranado effict of the liquid, just use that.
  10. Joined
    25 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 21:51
    get a Bigger bottle that holds 2.5 liters. then cut it in the middle DUH...
  11. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 03:392 edits
    five is correct.

Juice Conc.
    init. 0.00%
    1 33.33%
    2 44.44%
    3 48.15%
    4 49.38%
    5 49.79%

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree