1. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    02 Apr '04 00:112 edits
    Look at Mr Smiley: 🙄

Now some would simply say he's mad, but in fact Mr Smiley is always looking at his imaginary friend Pete, who exists in 3D (Mr Smiley has no trouble with imagined depth perception). Being a smiley, Mr Smiley has perfect eyesight, and keeps Pete in focus at all times; being imaginary, Pete can ignore relativity, and he tends to move towards and away from Mr Smiley at very high speeds, and is capable of teleportation. As you might have guessed, Pete's movements are periodic.

Other things to note about Mr Smiley:
    His eyes are spherical, but the rest of Mr Smiley's body is flat, on a plane running through the centre of his eyes;
    His eyes have black spots on the back of them, at opposite points to the pupils;
    He can rotate his eyes to any angle at all, and at any speed (again, no relativity);

Now describe (in approximate terms) the motions of Pete, as imagined by Mr Smiley.

Note: this problem was conceived of at about 1 am, after some time looking at previous puzzles. I think it shows. 😵
  2. Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Apr '04 09:103 edits
    Originally posted by Acolyte

Now some would simply say he's mad, but in fact Mr Smiley is always looking at his imaginary friend Pete, who exists in 3D (Mr Smiley has no trouble with imagined depth perception). Being a smiley, Mr Smiley has p ...[text shortened]... after some time looking at previous puzzles. I think it shows. 😵
    *gawks in silent perplexity*

Then states aloud: "what the he!!?"
  3. Joined
    02 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Apr '04 20:43
    Originally posted by econundrum
    *gawks in silent perplexity*

Then states aloud: "what the he!!?"
    I aggree, except I would say-WHAT THE @!#*ing H#%@ IS THAT!!!😠
  4. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    02 Apr '04 20:46
    Originally posted by DumDum81
    I aggree, except I would say-WHAT THE @!#*ing H#%@ IS THAT!!!😠
    I assure you there is method in my (and Mr Smiley's) madness. Imagine the smiley as a 3D object, and think about how your eyes move when they focus on something.
  5. my head
    Moves
    10 Apr '04 15:52

Now some would simply say he's mad, but in fact Mr Smiley is always looking at his imaginary friend Pete, who exists in 3D (Mr Smiley has no trouble with imagined depth at about 1 am, after some time looking at previous puzzles. I think it shows. 😵
    draw line A connecting the centers of m smiley's eyes. draw line B on m smiley's plane perpendicular to line A. creat plane C perpendicular to smiley's plane intercecting at line B. on place C, draw line D such that the angle formd by lines B and D is 1/infinity. Pete starts infinetly far from Smiley on line D, and moves parrilel to line B, w/ vilosity in direct relation to his distance from m Smiley. when Pete reaches infinet vilosity again, he teloports to a point diretly opposit his position in relation to the intersection of lines A and B. then he dose the exact same thing he just did, but on the other side of smiley's plane. repeat.
  6. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    10 Apr '04 18:00
    Originally posted by fearlessleader
    draw line A connecting the centers of m smiley's eyes. draw line B on m smiley's plane perpendicular to line A. creat plane C perpendicular to smiley's plane intercecting at line B. on place C, draw line D such that the angle formd by lines B and D is 1/infinity. Pete starts infinetly far from Smiley on line D, and moves parrilel to line B, w/ vilo ...[text shortened]... then he dose the exact same thing he just did, but on the other side of smiley's plane. repeat.
    that's what i thought :p
  7. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    13 Apr '04 09:40
    Originally posted by fearlessleader
    draw line A connecting the centers of m smiley's eyes. draw line B on m smiley's plane perpendicular to line A. creat plane C perpendicular to smiley's plane intercecting at line B. on place C, draw line D such that the angle formd by lines B and D is 1/infinity. Pete starts infinetly far from Smiley on line D, and moves parrilel to line B, w/ vilo ...[text shortened]... then he dose the exact same thing he just did, but on the other side of smiley's plane. repeat.
    Pretty much. Stricly speaking, Mr Smiley's eyes never point directly upwards (if you look at where the centre of the pupils move), so Pete moves in something like a steep hyperbola, rather than a pair of lines.
  8. Maine USA
    Moves
    28 Apr '04 20:30
    Pretty much. Stricly speaking, Mr Smiley's eyes never point directly upwards (if you look at where the centre of the pupils move), so Pete moves in something like a steep hyperbola, rather than a pair of lines.
    Mr smilies plane between his eyes is atualy a mirror, and what we are seeing is his ability to look backwards to his ears. this helps pete just move in a big circular fassion out behind him, then below, then out front, then then up then jump back again. and this is a two way miror, actualy, so m smiely can see him on the other side of the plane.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree