Odd and even?

Odd and even?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
23 Jun 04

Originally posted by royalchicken
I'm not sure exactly how the combination rule works. Specifically, I don't know how any two odd sets can be combined to make an even one, but my interpretation of odd and even is obviously not quite correct. What about:

(even?)

and:

?
both even

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
24 Jun 04

The second example I gave is even in the ame way my wrong one is, and both are related to the part of the combination rule that allows any two odds to combine to an even, yes?

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
24 Jun 04

Originally posted by royalchicken
The second example I gave is even in the ame way my wrong one is, and both are related to the part of the combination rule that allows any two odds to combine to an even, yes?
I don't know what you mean - there's only one way in which a pattern can be even or odd, as per the rule. The rule is not recursive, if that's what you're suggesting. There's actually a lot of flexibility in how you combine two patterns, so I just want the general idea.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
25 Jun 04

Originally posted by Acolyte
I don't know what you mean - there's only one way in which a pattern can be even or odd, as per the rule. The rule is not recursive, if that's what you're suggesting. There's actually a lot of flexibility in how you combine two patterns, so I just want the general idea.
What I mean is that if someone knew your rule, and gave a simple example of an even pattern, they'd be more likely to give:

than the one I quoted, in the same sense that they would probably be more likely to say ''Asian elephant'' than ''hyrax'' when asked for a relative of an African elephant.