1. Joined
    20 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 20:54
    You come to a fork in the road. There is a man on each side, one man only tells the truth and the other only lies. You may ask only one question to one man. Without knowing which man is which, how do you find out the correct way to go.....(I am sorry, I cant type a question mark).

I know of two correct answers.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 21:04
    I know one.
    Is the other one a variation only or is it a another kind of question?
  3. Joined
    20 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 21:13
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I know one.
    It is similar.

If you are swedish you might be able to tell me how to configure my scandinavian keyboard on my english 2000 xp system. I don't know how to type certain characters like a question mark.
  4. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 22:16
    If I ask the other riddle if this riddle will have a different answer what will he say?

ps if you hold down alt and type 63 on your numpad you get a ? (till you have your keybd sorted)
  5. Joined
    20 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 22:201 edit
    Originally posted by JYD
    If I ask the other riddle if this riddle will have a different answer what will he say?

ps if you hold down alt and type 63 on your numpad you get a ? (till you have your keybd sorted)
    I don't understand your answer at all.

Thanks for the tip though.

?????
  6. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 02:451 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If all primes are odd it doesn't matter what question you ask.
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 04:36
    ¿
  8. Joined
    20 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 15:22
    No-one?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 15:403 edits
    Originally posted by asplandmatt
    You come to a fork in the road. There is a man on each side, one man only tells the truth and the other only lies. You may ask only one question to one man. Without knowing which man is which, how do you find out the correct way to go.....(I am sorry, I cant type a question mark).

I might be wrong, but I believe that you need to have the men both come from villages wherein everyone is just like them. Additionally, I believe the object needs to be to arrive at the village of truth-tellers. I'm just saying.
  10. Joined
    20 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 15:52
    no.
    It has nothing to do with villiages or anything like that.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 16:491 edit

Would you be lying if you said this was the right road to take?
  12. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 17:45
    Ask each of them what the other guy will say

Lets say the correct road is A

Guy that Says the Truth will say that Guy that Lies will say road B
    Guy that Lies will say that Guy that Says the Truth will say road B

--> then it has to be road A

Another solution will be to read the Lonely Planet and do the opposite of what's written 😉
  13. Joined
    20 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 19:43
    Originally posted by Jee
    Ask each of them what the other guy will say

Lets say the correct road is A

Guy that Says the Truth will say that Guy that Lies will say road B
    Guy that Lies will say that Guy that Says the Truth will say road B

--> then it has to be road A

Another solution will be to read the Lonely Planet and do the opposite of what's written 😉
    This is correct, and is the answer I thought I would have to give.

Uzless is wrong though as you would get a different answer from the truth-sayer depending on which road you were refering to.

Can anyone think of another answer?
  14. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '06 09:24
    'The Apologetic' is right cos the answer given above assumes that each man knows the habits of the other village, and that they all either lie or don't lie, which wasn't specified in the original puzzle...

Uzless' answer is correct (I think). Point at either path, and ask either man "Would you be lying if you said this was the right way?" If he says "No", then go the way you're pointing. If he says "yes" then go the opposite way.

It works because you've effectively asked a double question of the lying man, so cancelling out his mendacity🙂
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '06 10:07
    ,If you are swedish you might be able to tell me how to configure my scandinavian keyboard on my english 2000 xp system. I don't know how to type certain characters like a question mark.
    I don't know, Never done it. If you have the Swedish version it installs automaticly.

But you can allways get any character, Swedish or otherwise, by Tiillbehör -> Systemverktyg ->Teckenuppsättning, whatever this is calld in English. Or by finding its character code and enter as alt+nnnn.

This is as far as I know. Good luck.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree