oldie but goodie

oldie but goodie

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Professor

Saint Louis

Moves
08 Sep 06

ask each "are you dead" A truthful person must say no but aliar musty say yes

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
08 Sep 06

That'll tell you which is which, but not which way to go.

PK

Moves
15 Sep 06

I dont know if anyone already said this but another soultion would be to first ask a question that you already know the answer of. Then you will know who is lying and you still have one question left, so you just ask the other guy what way to go (who you will know if is is lying too).

Q to guy1: what is 1+1?
A: 3
Liar!

Q to guy 2: should i take right or left?
A: left
Thanks!

l

Moves
17 Sep 06

it seems lke the answers are many and relatively straight forward. you simply ask an objective question of either one (ie is that a tree there? - the liar must say no, the truthsayer must say yes). did i miss something in the question?

Sais

Berks.

Moves
17 Sep 06

Originally posted by lightfallsup
it seems lke the answers are many and relatively straight forward. you simply ask an objective question of either one (ie is that a tree there? - the liar must say no, the truthsayer must say yes). did i miss something in the question?
If the riddle is phrased to say you are allowed to only ask one question to one of the people then these wouldn't be (valid) possibilities.

M
Marshall McKnights

Florida

Moves
17 Sep 06

This is also in a movie "labyrinth" when (i forget the name used) she came up to 2 doors and this was brought up, for her to continue on to her journey she had to do the same thing.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
17 Sep 06

Originally posted by Peakite
If the riddle is phrased to say you are allowed to only ask one question to one of the people then these wouldn't be (valid) possibilities.
The formula for the answer is that you need to somehow ask both of them by asking one of them. This way you know how to modify the answer to get the right one because the liar will be involved no matter which you ask. For example, ask A "If I were to ask B which is the right way to go, what would he say"?

This will cause you to get a lie every time because,

a

Moves
22 Sep 06

Look, I have already given the answers. There are two alternatives.

1. "If I was to ask you which way to go, what would you say?

Both would give you the correct answer. OR

2. "If I asked the other man which way to go, what would he say?.

In this case both would give the wrong path.

It is interesting how many people didn't read the question properly or assumed it was the same as a similar riddle they had heard. The question clearly indicates that you only have one question in total, and there is absolutely no mention of villiagers.

Congrats again to those who got it.