1. Joined
    20 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '06 22:41
    I never mentioned anything about a villiage.
    why do people keep talking about villiages?

One of the roads is correct and the other is incorrect, that is all.
    you don't know which is the truth sayer and which is the liar.
    Uzless is wrong because the liar always lies so if you asked him if he was lying he would always say no.

The second answer (which I won't give yet) would work even if there was only one man there (liar or non-liar).

does this help?
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '06 22:46
    Originally posted by asplandmatt
    I never mentioned anything about a villiage.

One of the roads is correct and the other is incorrect, that is all.
    you don't know which is the truth sayer and which is the liar.
    Uzless is wrong because the liar always lies so if you asked him if he was lying he would always say no.

The second answer (w ...[text shortened]... ve yet) would work even if there was only one man there (liar or non-liar).

does this help?
    You said you can ask only one question to one man, meaning you couldn't ask both men, so that makes his answer wrong. Of course, if you had said you can ask only one question to each man then it would work. But you didn't say that, so it doesn't matter.
  3. Joined
    20 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '06 23:07
    Yeah, The question probably could have been phrased better.
  4. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 22:091 edit
    If I asked the other guy 'which is the correct road to take, what would his answer be'?

You would then take the OTHER road from the road that either man indicated.

The honest twin would name the wrong road, because the dishonest twin lies all the time.

The dishonest guy would would name the wrong road, because he knows the honest guy tells the truth, and would lie about the honest guy's answer.

In either case, you have been mis-directed.
  5. Joined
    20 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 00:21
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    If I asked the other guy 'which is the correct road to take, what would his answer be'?

You would then take the OTHER road from the road that either man indicated.

The honest twin would name the wrong road, because the dishonest twin lies all the time.

The dishonest guy would would name the wrong road, because he knows the honest guy tells the trut ...[text shortened]... , and would lie about the honest guy's answer.

In either case, you have been mis-directed.
    This is correct but Jee already gave that answer.

The answer not yet given would work even if there was only one man, and you didn't know whether he lies or tells the truth.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 02:361 edit
    You come to a fork in the road. There is a man on each side, one man only tells the truth and the other only lies. You may ask only one question to one man. Without knowing which man is which, how do you find out the correct way to go.....(I am sorry, I cant type a question mark).

I know of two correct answers.
    I have heard of one with villages and you want to get to the truth tellers village. the answer is just ask either on the way to his village because the liar will tell you the way to the truth tellers village and the honest one will tell you the way to his village also.
  7. Joined
    20 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 11:05
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I have heard of one with villages and you want to get to the truth tellers village. the answer is just ask either on the way to his village because the liar will tell you the way to the truth tellers village and the honest one will tell you the way to his village also.
    Will everyone please forget about villiages or villiagers.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 18:53
    ask one of them if they're a gaddamn liar, then shoot him
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 20:11
    Originally posted by JokerFive
    ask one of them if they're a gaddamn liar, then shoot him
    Maybe you should go to the village, ask a villager...and then go the way the villager tells you.
  10. Joined
    28 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 20:191 edit
    Because this is a quite common sort of problem.
    There are several variants which involve people from village A all being liars, people from village B all being truthful. There can be other villages where the people lie or tell truth randomly, or alternately.

Another variant (perhaps the original variant) is Knights and Knaves. Knights always tell the truth, Knaves always lie.

and so on.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_and_knaves
    particularly Question 4
  11. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 20:56
    Basically, the reason why everyone goes on about villages and villagers is because a question like "what would the other guy say?" only works if the guy you're asking knows that guys like the other guy (i.e. from his VILLAGE/town/country etc) ALWAYS lie/tell the truth.

If the two men don't know anything about each other, then questions which demand a knowledge of the other person's habits will not work, and are therefore not valid answers to your question.
  12. Joined
    20 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 22:20
    Look. It has been long enough. The answer is:

If I was to ask you which was the right way to go, what would you say?
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 02:05
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0327.html
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 15:43
    Originally posted by Kipyusha
    'The Apologetic' is right cos the answer given above assumes that each man knows the habits of the other village, and that they all either lie or don't lie, which wasn't specified in the original puzzle...
    Who cares about a "village", or that village's "habits"?

All each man has to know is whether the other will always lie or always tell the truth.

His "village" doesn't even enter into it. I mean, he could even be from Oshkosh, Wisconsin for all that. 😉
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 15:47
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    You said you can ask only one question to one man, meaning you couldn't ask both men, so that makes his answer wrong. Of course, if you had said you can ask only one question to each man then it would work. But you didn't say that, so it doesn't matter.
    Wrong. Each man gives the *same* answer, so it doesn't matter if you ask one man or a thousand men.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree