1. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    12 Jan '17 21:50
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    maybe it is then.

    that isn't what we are arguing about though is it?
    Your figures are incorrect.

    On Monday, September 12, 2016 (before Daylight Saving Time went into
    effect) Western Samoa was on local standard time (GMT +13). American
    Samoa also was on standard time (GMT -11).

    The correct answer is 48 hours.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    13 Jan '17 01:27
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Your figures are incorrect.

    On Monday, September 12, 2016 (before Daylight Saving Time went into
    effect) Western Samoa was on local standard time (GMT +13). American
    Samoa also was on standard time (GMT -11).

    The correct answer is 48 hours.
    You are correct by a few days!!! (And you said the actual date didn't matter!)

    However I am correct for the example I gave. 😛

    And in general the answer to your question is 49 hours for any date. since
    there are places on GMT+14 other than Samoa.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%2B14:00
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    13 Jan '17 14:00
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You are correct by a few days!!! (And you said the actual date didn't matter!)

    However I am correct for the example I gave. 😛

    And in general the answer to your question is 49 hours for any date. since
    there are places on GMT+14 other than Samoa.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%2B14:00
    I never said the actual date didn't matter.

    The example you gave was not for the date provided in the OP.

    Apparently this quaint old puzzle predates some of the outlandish
    byroads imposed on the Date Line in recent years.
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    go phish
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    13 Jan '17 21:431 edit
    Whaddayasa we split the difference and call it 48.5 hours?
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    14 Jan '17 03:09
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    I never said the actual date didn't matter.

    The example you gave was not for the date provided in the OP.

    Apparently this quaint old puzzle predates some of the outlandish
    byroads imposed on the Date Line in recent years.
    My example was incorrect but the answer to the OP is still 49 hours! 😛
  6. Subscriberlemondrop
    balls of fire
    Joined
    19 Jul '13
    Moves
    178531
    14 Jan '17 04:561 edit
    if this is a Zeno paradox then that date never existed or never ended
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    15 Jan '17 20:40
    My original version of this puzzle refers to Monday, October 12, 1998. When
    I posted it here, I changed the date to Monday, September 12, 2016. to give it
    a fresh look. Not smart, Andy!

    In recent years, for various reasons, the International Date Line has been
    shunted and redirected in some places hundreds of miles to the east. And that,
    alas, changes the answer to the puzzle from 48 hours to 49. Wolfgang had
    the correct solution to the updated puzzle.

    Next time I'm sticking with 1998.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    16 Jan '17 10:27
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    My original version of this puzzle refers to Monday, October 12, 1998. When
    I posted it here, I changed the date to Monday, September 12, 2016. to give it
    a fresh look. Not smart, Andy!

    In recent years, for various reasons, the International Date Line has been
    shunted and redirected in some places hundreds of miles to the east. And that,
    alas, ...[text shortened]... Wolfgang had
    the correct solution to the updated puzzle.

    Next time I'm sticking with 1998.
    Takes a good man to admit his mistakes!! 🙂

    Another oddity
    30th December 2011
    This date did not exist in Samoa!
    (bummer if it was your birthday!1)
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    23 Jan '17 02:101 edit
    World War II note: One of the new hyperextended time zones in the central Pacific
    includes Tarawa atoll, scene of one of the fiercest and bloodiest battles in U.S.
    Marine Corps history. The clash continued from November 20-23, 1943, until
    occupying Japanese forces were subdued.
Back to Top