1. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    04 Jul '07 20:23
    See this story, VERY interesting, and also a source of either pride or shame for any other Irish people out there depending ont he validation results...
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0704/breaking46.htm
  2. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    04 Jul '07 21:00
    Originally posted by agryson
    See this story, VERY interesting, and also a source of either pride or shame for any other Irish people out there depending ont he validation results...
    Being Irish has nothing to do with it. If you check the records, most of the flim-flam artists claiming to have discovered perpetual motion were English. But this is a farce nonetheless. It will eventually be disproved, as were all the rest.
  3. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    Moves
    04 Jul '07 21:15
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Being Irish has nothing to do with it. If you check the records, most of the flim-flam artists claiming to have discovered perpetual motion were English. But this is a farce nonetheless. It will eventually be disproved, as were all the rest.
    I dunno, they've nothing to gain, everything to lose. I'm skeptical myself, but they've refused further investment in the idea until the report is published. and are contractually obliged (by the contract THEY worded) to publish EVERYTHING the jurors say.
    They're obviously confident themselves, and they're not idiots, so I'm gonna wait for the juror report.
    I can't see how it would work, but then people rarely do with these things.
  4. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    Moves
    04 Jul '07 21:17
    And if it does work out, I think you'll excuse me a little national pride. (While on the point, one of them was actually born in Birmingham)
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Jul '07 22:04
    Drama and anticipation are always welcome in my book.

A live working demonstration will be streamed on the internet from 6pm tonight. It can be viewed on the web from four different camera angles, before opening to visitors on Thursday.

Anyone has a link?
  6. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    04 Jul '07 22:41
    I dunno, they've nothing to gain, everything to lose. I'm skeptical myself, but they've refused further investment in the idea until the report is published. and are contractually obliged (by the contract THEY worded) to publish EVERYTHING the jurors say.
    They're obviously confident themselves, and they're not idiots, so I'm gonna wait for the juror report.
    I can't see how it would work, but then people rarely do with these things.
    My mom is from Ireland, I hold an Irish passport, and the first tattoo I get will be either the Irish flag or the 26 counties - definitely not this "perpetual motion machine."
  7. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 00:351 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Anyone has a link?
    www.steorn.com

They've delayed the live demo until tomorrow.
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 15:33
    I saw a tv show where a guy built a machine that kind of looks like a gyroscope. A ball travels around in a circle along a track and the track lifts up and down like a wave. Magnets force the track to move.

Hard to describe. It had been going for months without interuption. Anyone see it on the Discovery Channel?

Some scientists had studied the design and couldn't figure out how the 3 laws appeared to be overcome.
  9. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 19:23
    Originally posted by uzless
    I saw a tv show where a guy built a machine that kind of looks like a gyroscope. A ball travels around in a circle along a track and the track lifts up and down like a wave. Magnets force the track to move.

Hard to describe. It had been going for months without interuption. Anyone see it on the Discovery Channel?

Some scientists had studied the design and couldn't figure out how the 3 laws appeared to be overcome.
    No I didn't see it, but that may be a spanner in the works for any patent applications!
    If you find it, post a link or something, it'd be great to read more...
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 21:26
    In these 'inventions' of perpetuum mobile, the net energy gained must come from somewhere. Energy can't just be produced from nothing. So if it comes from somewhere it is not a perpetuum mobile.

Many 'inventions' of perpetuum mobile has been presented by hobby geniuses and none of these has been true perpetuum mobiles. No one have been even close to extract energy from nothing ever. Not even theoretically.
  11. In your face
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 22:57
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    In these 'inventions' of perpetuum mobile, the net energy gained must come from somewhere. Energy can't just be produced from nothing. So if it comes from somewhere it is not a perpetuum mobile.

Many 'inventions' of perpetuum mobile has been presented by hobby geniuses and none of these has been true perpetuum mobiles. No one have been even close to extract energy from nothing ever. Not even theoretically.
    If this is so, where did all the energy in the universe initially come from? It must have been created somehow?
  12. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 23:13
    Just another weird thought: We (humans) give heat to our environment all the time (at least when its not super hot outside or so). cant that heat be used/absorbed by a device/suit somehow and be transformed into engery that a cellphone or mp3-player or so can use to run or reload or so? has something like that been done already? i dont think i would be the first person to think of such a thing 😉
  13. Joined
    25 Mar '07
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 23:24
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    If this is so, where did all the energy in the universe initially come from? It must have been created somehow?
    All energy and matter came from the Big Bang. Using physics, there is no way to know what happened before the Big Bang or where all the energy/matter came from. Scientists have a good idea what happened the second after, but there is no way to gather information before that. (I could be wrong on all this, but I don't think I am) The only answer I know of is God. If you don't believe in God, good luck finding another solution.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 01:47
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    No; I think it was simply squeezed into a singularity. It wasn't created at the BB.
  15. Joined
    25 Mar '07
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 03:17
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No; I think it was simply squeezed into a singularity. It wasn't created at the BB.
    Possibly... but if so, then where did that come from?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree