1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 11:391 edit
    Originally posted by Restless Soul
    because if it was green people wouldn't know where to stop mowing their lawn.
    Then why is the lawn green?

Answer: When the yellow light from the sun is blended with the blue light from the sky then you get green, and that's why the laws is green.
  2. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 12:10
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Then why is the lawn green?

Answer: When the yellow light from the sun is blended with the blue light from the sky then you get green, and that's why the laws is green.
    if the lawn was blue airplanes wouldn't know where to land
  3. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 16:22
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Yes, good.

Power = work / time. Time = 1, so here power = work.
    Work = Distance * Force. Distance = 9 so Work = 9*Force
    Force = Mass(Acceleration). Acceleration = 10 (gravity.) Mass = 60 (600 is weight -> /10 and 60 is mass). Force = 600.

So Work = 9*600, Work = 5400. Power = 5400. Done. (Isn't that a bit more simple, just use the Force = Mass * Acce ...[text shortened]... e still have #1-#2. (tension is the other variable in #10). Then I'll post the hardest I know.
    You could simply look at the texture of the ground.
    now...
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 16:52
    Originally posted by Restless Soul
    if the lawn was blue airplanes wouldn't know where to land
    Blue flowers are not pollinated by insects.
    Because if insects would be attracted to the blue colour, then they would fly to the sky.
    Can anyone entomologist/botanist confirm this?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 22:30
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Blue flowers are not pollinated by insects.
    Because if insects would be attracted to the blue colour, then they would fly to the sky.
    Can anyone entomologist/botanist confirm this?
    Some bee flowers tend to be yellow or blue, often with ultraviolet nectar guides and scent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollination_syndrome
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 23:351 edit
    tension is the other variable in #10
    You missed one - where you pluck it. That determines which harmonics the string vibrates at. E.g. compare plucking it in the middle with plucking it a quarter of the way along.
  7. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 00:43
    Originally posted by mtthw
    You missed one - where you pluck it. That determines which harmonics the string vibrates at. E.g. compare plucking it in the middle with plucking it a quarter of the way along.
    tension covers that. The edges are more tense than the middle = tension.

So, #1-#2 - who knows those tricky mirror questions?
  8. Going where needed.
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 01:223 edits

Knows them, or knows the idea behind them?

edit1: 1. C.

It just depends upon the distance of the mirror from you or the object.

edit2: sorry. need a deeper explanation.

If the distance between you and the mirror is greater than the distance of the focal point from the mirrors parabola, then you are seeing a virtual.

If the distance between you and the mirror is less than the distance of the focal point to its corresponding curve, the image is real
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 04:37

No, the tension in a string is uniform to a good approximation.
  10. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 09:251 edit
    No it doesn't. The tension is the same everywhere (neglecting some minor effects like gravity). Think about balancing the forces on a section of the string - the forces at each end (in other words the tension at each end) must cancel out. This applies to any section of string, so the tension is constant.

Pluck a string in the middle and you get the first harmonic. Pluck it a quarter of the way along and you'll get the second harmonic - half the wavelength and twice the frequency. Pluck it somewhere in between and you'll get a mixture of harmonics.
  11. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 13:46
    No it doesn't. The tension is the same everywhere (neglecting some minor effects like gravity). Think about balancing the forces on a section of the string - the forces at each end (in other words the tension at each end) must cancel out. This applies to any section of string, so the tension is constant.

Pluck a string in the middle and you get the first ...[text shortened]... nd twice the frequency. Pluck it somewhere in between and you'll get a mixture of harmonics.
    It's true! I've popped many a squealie in my lifetime.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 13:51
    Pluck a string in the middle and you get the first harmonic. Pluck it a quarter of the way along and you'll get the second harmonic - half the wavelength and twice the frequency. Pluck it somewhere in between and you'll get a mixture of harmonics.
    Unless you can pluck the string in such a way that just before you let go it is shaped exactly like a sine wave then you won't get a pure harmonic no matter where you pluck it; although how important each harmonic is is going to depend on where it's plucked.

I double checked the statement about tension on Wikipedia before posting and couldn't find any statement to contradict what we are saying about it being uniform along the string, but while I was looking I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrating_string

Which gives a nice puzzle for the thread. Why is the derivation of the speed of waves on the string wrong? And why does the author happen to get the right answer?
  13. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 15:14
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Unless you can pluck the string in such a way that just before you let go it is shaped exactly like a sine wave then you won't get a pure harmonic no matter where you pluck it; although how important each harmonic is is going to depend on where it's plucked.

I double checked the statement about tension on Wikipedia before posting and couldn't find any ...[text shortened]... speed of waves on the string wrong? And why does the author happen to get the right answer?
    True, I was simplifying.

As for the last bit - well spotted! Centripetal force for something that isn't rotating? I don't think so. Dimensional analysis tells you the answer is going to be right to within a constant multiplier though. Which happens to be 1, though that may be coincidence.
  14. Joined
    05 Jun '07
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 06:421 edit
    [Post deleted. Please ignore].
  15. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 13:57
    I see, I did oversimplify tension. I should have said that if you were to pluck the string in the same place everytime, tension and length would be the factors for the pitch.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree