1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 21:46
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Argh!! I think you're right. I just tried using a random midpoint selected 2 ways (one with polar variables and one with Cartesian variables), and got different answers for each. The polar one gave me 0.5 and the Cartesian one gave me 0.25. As you say, "uniform randomness" needs some explanation.

Apparently this is a well-known puzzle (unknown by me until ...[text shortened]... is no reason to disregard any particular type of random distribution in this solution?
    PBE6 : I'm glad you are investigating the answers that I was too lazy to do!!!

As I said I remember hearing 3 'proofs' which maybe leads to mtthw's cnclusion that there are an infinite number of solutions based upon how you generate your 'random' chord.

btw: I said it would lead to arguments! 😉
  2. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    10 Dec '07 22:16
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    PBE6 : I'm glad you are investigating the answers that I was too lazy to do!!!

As I said I remember hearing 3 'proofs' which maybe leads to mtthw's cnclusion that there are an infinite number of solutions based upon how you generate your 'random' chord.

btw: I said it would lead to arguments! 😉
    Even more interesting - if we do a physical experiment with straws, it turns out that the experimental probability is 1/2! Of course, as the article mentions, no one said that the puzzle was meant to be a model of a physical process, but if you're running a gambling ring it's nice to know the physical answer. 😉

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand%27s_paradox_%28probability%29
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 16:50
    Originally posted by PBE6

http://www.cut-the-knot.org/bertrand.shtml

I still feel that the sweep method generates the proper sample space (the analytical solution for the sample space, not randomly generated) because it generates every possible chord drawn from a fixed point on the circumference without double counting, and every rotation of this construction is symmetrical so they do not impact the weighting.
    I checked the link and watched the demos.

The sweep method you describe is the only one that gives an unbiased answer imo.

The 2nd demo showed an inherent bias toward drawing lines away from the centre resulting in a 1/4 probability and the 3rd demo showed a bias toward drawing toward the centre resulting in 1/2 probability. For this reason they should be discounted.

The sweep is the only one that would make a true representation without any bias.

Random in the 2nd and 3rd appears to be a biased random generator whereas as the sweep is unbiased.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree