1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 20:44
    If you lose 1 of 7 times against 1550 OTB, how good are you. I am interested because I don't have a FIDE rating but I reguraly beat my 2 friens with around 1550. I know there is some formula ?!?!

It is not really a Puzzle but on this thread section is the higher IQ so the anwser could arrive fastest here, instead of general (spam) thread 🙂

Thanks.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 23:02
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    If you lose 1 of 7 times against 1550 OTB, how good are you. I am interested because I don't have a FIDE rating but I reguraly beat my 2 friens with around 1550. I know there is some formula ?!?!

It is not really a Puzzle but on this thread section is the higher IQ so the anwser could arrive fastest here, instead of general (spam) thread 🙂

Thanks.
    if you regularly beat your friends who are 1550, using math I would say that you rating is > their rating....... 😀
  3. Joined
    14 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 23:08

Thanks.
    You can find the formula here: go to site map>Help>FAQ.
  4. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 23:26

Thanks.
    Lose 1 in 7 games? that's about 85% win expectancy.
    If this is against a 1550 rated player then (using the RHP formula for rating calculation) you'd come out at 1850.

That's a huge assumption to make on the basis of just seven games however. The rating system is a statistical analysis - you need lots of games before it makes for sensible reading.
  5. Joined
    14 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 00:59

Thanks.
    Are you sure your friends are telling you the truth about their rating? Or did you mean you win 1 out of 7 against them?
    A rating of around 1850 is way off the mark, compared with your record on RHP.
  6. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 11:121 edit
    Originally posted by orangutan
    If this is against a 1550 rated player then (using the RHP formula for rating calculation) you'd come out at 1850.

That's a huge assumption to make on the basis of just seven games however. The rating system is a statistical analysis - you need lots of games before it makes for sensible reading.
    Are you sure is so high ? I am not that good. My improving on RHP was ruined because of unserious playing and lot of timeouts, and is something different than OTB but I am not even near 1850. Maybe 1600. I guess I was lucky in that 7 games, just looked for some approx. performance number, but 1850 is way too much 🙂
  7. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 11:23
    Yes I am sure ... But maybe it was coincidence. I to play a little better than them at my best usually, but at top at my shape (Chessmaster tutorials, several books, ton of tactics daily) I won 6 games and lose 1. But I wasn't 1850.
  8. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 11:25
    Originally posted by orangutan

Are you sure it is the right formula. Because I heard that on 400 points difference in rating, in ELO system, the one rated lower has chances 1 : 50 (Fics FAQ) to win. Folowing that would give me much lower rating for this victories.
  9. Joined
    14 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 13:40
    Are you sure it is the right formula. Because I heard that on 400 points difference in rating, in ELO system, the one rated lower has chances 1 : 50 (Fics FAQ) to win. Folowing that would give me much lower rating for this victories.
    Maybe FICS uses a different method of calculating ratings. According to the formula used here, a difference of 400 pts would mean the lower rated player has about 4/50 chance.
  10. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 14:38
    Originally posted by luskin
    Maybe FICS uses a different method of calculating ratings. According to the formula used here, a difference of 400 pts would mean the lower rated player has about 4/50 chance.
    They are different formulas - their ratings are ELO ratings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system
  11. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 19:55
    Yes I am sure ... But maybe it was coincidence. I to play a little better than them at my best usually, but at top at my shape (Chessmaster tutorials, several books, ton of tactics daily) I won 6 games and lose 1. But I wasn't 1850.
    This will sound horrible, but having checked one of your random games I am surprised you managed to beat 1550s frequently.
    No offence, I know my playing on RHP is far worse than OTB, and speaking to others I know I am not alone.
    😉
  12. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 01:05
    Some of my games here aren't even on 1000 level I know. Only time I played seriously on this site was in Februar 2007 (as clearly seen on graph). And then it seemed to me that 1550 plays pretty banal. I am starting to play for serious from this month again so I am sure I will be at least 1700 here. You can challenge me anytime when I have free game, so I can prove I am not that bad as in some of my ultrafast, planless, thoughtless games here 😕
  13. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 01:051 edit
    Some of my games here aren't even on 1000 level I know. Only time I played seriously on this site was in Februar 2007 (as clearly seen on graph). And then it seemed to me that 1550 plays pretty banal. I am starting to play for serious from this month again so I am sure I will be at least 1700 here. You can rematch me anytime, so I can prove I am not that bad as in some of my ultrafast, planless, thoughtless, games here 😉
  14. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 01:051 edit
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 13:49
    You say you beat your buddies 7 to 1 and they are in the 1550 area, but was that in a real OTB tournament? Or just skittles? Its a lot different when you play with a 2 hour clock or something vs a pickup game played out over 30 minutes or so. But you can figure you probably should be in the 16's if you continue the same in a real tournament. Remember, in a tourney, you play strangers usually, and from below to above your rating and if you have no ELO, USCF, FIDE, or some such, you will be assigned a provisional rating based on your best estimate, so you say, I am 1500, then you start with that and you have to play a dozen games or so to get a full rating, by which time, you will have a much clearer picture of your OTB strength.
    What you do here is not the same as what you would do OTB because of the 'analyze this' board and the length of time you can take if you wish. It is a lot more pressure when you see the clock ticking.
    So get into a local club tournament, thats the fastest way to figure out your strength.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree