1. my head
    Moves
    07 Aug '04 19:10
    as anyone who has ever really screwed about with these things knows, there is only one correct position for each of twenty mobile cubes (the seven axel cubes [i'm counting the hidden hypothetical inner cube] are fixed, and thus always in their correct/only positions). if N mobil cubes are in their correct places, then the cube can be solved without removing any of the original N cubes. what is the smallest possible number N, what are the positions of these N cubes, and how many moves are needed to solve the entire puzzel.
  2. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    07 Aug '04 20:30
    Without moving any of the N cubes? Then N = 12, namely the top two layers, and from there t would have to take only one move, rotating the third layer so that the rest is on it's place after that.

That would be the only option to keep the 12 mobile cubes from moving...
  3. Joined
    09 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Aug '04 01:23
    I've mastered solving the rubiks cube in about 40 seconds to a minute 20. However, I'm still not sure what you're asking. From any point it is POSSIBLE to solve it in 23 moves.. and "correct" is relative. if i have it all solved, then rotate all the corners in threes, then none are "correct" relative to the stationary cubes. So, 0 and 23 are your answers if I understand the question.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Aug '04 01:37
    I think I have a solution... but you will need to see my diagram...

http://www.rhp15.com/pictures/solution.jpg

P-
  5. Standard membereyeqpc
    Robbo
    a Brave new world
    Moves
    09 Aug '04 01:45
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

P-
    😀
  6. Standard memberImpala03
    Attire Advisor
    The Chi
    Moves
    09 Aug '04 02:39

P-
    haha nice post 😀
  7. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    09 Aug '04 13:19
    LOL

Hey, does anyone of you actually know a method to solve the cube by repeating a certain combination over and over?

The way i solve it is;
    -first layer
    -second layer
    -third layer, get corners ito their right spot
    -third layer, rotate corners so that they are completely correct
    -third layer , sides until one is correct
    -third layer, permutate the three remaining edges until they are correct.
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    09 Aug '04 22:29
    Originally posted by TheMaster37

The way i solve it is;
    -first layer
    -second layer
    Your method describes exactly how I do it. I used to do it the way P does it. 😉

Re: The third layer, get corners/rotate corners stage. I never really figured out the trick; I just fiddle with a few combinations over and over until it gets there. As a result it can take a me just a minute or two to do the puzzle or it can take me ten minutes.

I did Rubik's Revenge once...more or less the same moves. I had the same problem in the fourth layer (getting the corners) and, of course, it took longer than a few minutes. Unfortunately, mine genuinely fell apart (and NO not from me fiddling with it to "win&quot😉 and I haven't really looked for others.

I never enjoyed the other Rubik's puzzles though. The links one was ok, but the flip-flap ones never grabbed my attention. I had a Rubik's Moron puzzle (two by two by two puzzle) as a keychain, but I have no idea where that is either.

Nemesio
  9. Joined
    04 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Aug '04 12:02
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    LOL

Hey, does anyone of you actually know a method to solve the cube by repeating a certain combination over and over?

The way i solve it is;
    -first layer
    -second layer
    I used to solve it using the following method. It's probably not the most efficient in terms of number of moves but it doesn't involve having to remember too many "set moves" - you can solve it by thinking about where you want the pieces to end up.

First layer edges
    3 of the first layer corners
    Use the incorrect corner as a sort of "gateway" whereby 3 three of the middle layer edges can be put in place.
    Use the incorrect corner and edge to get the 4 third layer edges correct (this requires a bit of thought - but not as much as playing chess say)
    The remaining middle edge will "magically" be correct too
    There will now be 5 corners left to do (fewer if you're lucky)
    Corners are far easier to get right than edges and, with a bit of thinking, you can put them in place and orient them correctly at the same time.

Not the quickest I admit, but doesn't involve having to memorize move sequences and is strangely satisfying when things "fall into place".
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Aug '04 13:02
    what do you guys mean by layers and such? I'm going to put the thing back together and mess it up good. See if someone here can teach me how to solve it for real.

P-
  11. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    10 Aug '04 13:53
    By all means, send a message 🙂 I can give you an algorithm to solve it, but the idea behind it is gone to me :p.

The cube is made out of 26 sqaures. Hold it with one side towards you, you now see that there are three rows, and three collums of squares right? The top row, and all the squares behind that (making a total of 9 squares) is called the top layer.

The second row, with the squares behind it (making a total of 8 squares) is the middle layer.

The remaining squares are the bottom layer.

"Solving the top layer" means that you get all the squares in the top layer correct (correct is what i will use to indicate the situation as a square should be when it is solved. The right position means that it still has to be rotated before it's correct).

So solving the top layer gives you one side completely solved (including the edges!) When you look at it from the top you should see 9 squares of the same colour, when you look at the side you should see that the top row is of the same colour sqaures.

This isn't too hard, and you might want to try that for yourself 🙂
  12. Joined
    04 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Aug '04 14:11
    what do you guys mean by layers and such? I'm going to put the thing back together and mess it up good. See if someone here can teach me how to solve it for real.

P-
    Imagine you had 27 identical, small cubes.
    Put nine of them in a three by three square arrangement on the desk - this corresponds to the first or "bottom" layer.

Put nine more of the small cubes on top of those in the obvious way - this corresponds to the second or "middle" layer.

Finally put the remaining nine on top of those - this is the third or "top" layer.

Most people seem to solve the cube a layer at a time from bottom to top.

(That's enough definitions - Ed.)
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Aug '04 14:55
    cool so far guys... I've been able to solve one layer... it is the rest that is hard to solve without messing up what I have!

When I get some time I'll see how far I got and come back for more info. I'm no where near that pile of cube chips right now!

P-
  14. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    10 Aug '04 16:44
    I just went to www.rubiks.com

I never knew that they had Rubik's Professor. 5x5x5!!!

AWWWWWWWWW YEAH!

Time to lose several hours over the next few weeks.

🙁 🙂 🙁 🙂

15. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    10 Aug '04 19:51
    Saw that one in the store the other day 🙂 Seems like a time-eater :p

A basic hint to do the other alyers;
    Remember what you do to get a cube correct. See if you can get all the cubes you got correct already go to a safe place, twist the next cube to another place, then reverse all you did to get the rest safe. That way you should have just moved on cube (you moved the rest too, but you returned those to their spot again)

I hope i'm making sense :p

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree