1. Under Cover
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 15:14
    Originally posted by lukewarm pawn
    I can't think of any agreeable gain from learning to solve the rubik's cube in under 2 minutes.
    What do you get from it?
    The satisfaction of conquering the cube then the realisation that you just spent ten hours learning how to twiddle a toy for two minutes.
    Ironic that you post such an opinion on a chess website...
  2. Joined
    28 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 16:531 edit
    With chess you can continuously improve many facets of your game over a lifetime and play against others to prove your skill.
    I can't imagine two people sitting in a room and twiddling a multicoloured cube at each other.

At least i hope that doesnt happen.
  3. Under Cover
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 17:231 edit
    With chess you can continuously improve many facets of your game over a lifetime and play against others to prove your skill.
    I can't imagine two people sitting in a room and twiddling a multicoloured cube at each other.

At least i hope that doesnt happen.
    ...and at the end of the day, when the pieces are put away, what have you accomplished other than a momentary pleasant (hopefully) diversion? Some people think Rubik's cubes are fun. Some people think chess is fun. Some of those people overlap, and may even happen to submit posts to this thread. Is twidling away with colored cubes any less productive than criticizing others for doing it?
  4. Joined
    28 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 17:521 edit
    It was not a criticism of the rubik's cubers.
    I myself have idly attempted a rubiks cube on a slow day, although one of its edge squares inexplicably had the same colour on two of its faces so it would have been impossible to complete even had i the skill to do so.
    I concede you have a point, chess and rubiks are both a pleasant diversion. The most worthy pastime is the one that gives the most satisfaction to the one who has time to pass.
    Posting on this topic is only a diversion, though tisn't as pleasant as i'd like.
    I was merely conveying (albeit in an oblique way,) as i thought it was at least vaguely pertinent, that chess seems more satisfying to me personally in the long run.

Even though i'm not terribly good at it.
  5. Under Cover
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 19:15
    It was not a criticism of the rubik's cubers.
    I myself have idly attempted a rubiks cube on a slow day, although one of its edge squares inexplicably had the same colour on two of its faces so it would have been impossible to complete even had i the skill to do so.
    I concede you have a point, chess and rubiks are both a pleasant diversion. The most w ...[text shortened]... ore satisfying to me personally in the long run.

Even though i'm not terribly good at it.
    No harm done, I was just having a little fun. 🙂
  6. Joined
    03 Mar '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 20:43
    I can't think of any agreeable gain from learning to solve the rubik's cube in under 2 minutes.
    What do you get from it?
    The satisfaction of conquering the cube then the realisation that you just spent ten hours learning how to twiddle a toy for two minutes.
    you can get a lot of satasfation i get satisfation in knowing i can do somthing that not a lot of common folk can do. and then i also get the satisfation of their face when i solve it in front of them. overall for me there is benifit and satasfation in learning how to solve the rubiks cube
  7. Standard membergollumprawn
    it's mine
    manchester, england
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 12:05
    Originally posted by rubikscuber
    my fastest time is 1:25 on the dot but my average is like 1:33.??
    what are we actually talking about here?😲
  8. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    17 Mar '06 16:374 edits
    I've done one from 'first principles' once, but it took about 5 hours IIRC. Can anyone finish the proof I started here:

http://sonofhealfdane.blogspot.com/2005/11/rotations-with-hangover.html

?

(This was inspired by a Rubik's cube at the RHP London Meet-up, actually.)
  9. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 17:28
    How about a Chinese Cube? It`s just like the Rubik´s Cube except that it´s made in china out of cheap plastic, I bought one here in Bolivia (for 5 Bolivianos = 35 UK Pence) and have a current record of 1:50. It`s actually harder than the real cube because things don`t always line up together and things keep on sticking inside the thing.

I found a site, http://www.speedcubing.com/, thought I`d use it to try and solve it faster. I thought rook endgames were hard before trying to read the algorithms!
  10. Joined
    03 Mar '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 22:48
    algorithms arnt that hard to read its pretty simple if you know the basic set up of the cube
  11. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 01:11
    I`m going to give it a go, it looks like the kind of stuff that will take an age to learn all the different algorithms for the different situations. Maybe if I get stuck I`ll post a question or two here....
  12. Joined
    03 Mar '06
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 02:48
    any question you got i got an answer i masterd the rubicks cube now i just have to master time
  13. Standard membergollumprawn
    it's mine
    manchester, england
    Moves
    20 Mar '06 03:46
    Originally posted by rubikscuber
    any question you got i got an answer i masterd the rubicks cube now i just have to master time
    are you a time lord?
  14. Joined
    03 Mar '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 02:09
    yes i control all time aand space and anything shiny
  15. Standard membergollumprawn
    it's mine
    manchester, england
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 05:13
    Originally posted by rubikscube
    yes i control all time and space and anything shiny
    you leave the precious out of this you tardis hugger

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree