1. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 14:40
    i was just reading through this and thought, wtf, how can anyone do that in such a short time. then after a while i noticed you are talking about a 3x3 cube lol. well i only had a 4x4 cube in my childhood and i never managed to solve it 😛

i just googled some and found a clip with a guy doing a 3x3 cube in 29 seconds while using only one hand. then i found a crazy japanese guy doing the 4x4 cube in a minute or so. pretty amazing.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/51353/rubic_cube_one_hand/

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_vids/CrazyRubics.htm
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 22:29
    Originally posted by rubikscuber
    who here can solve a rubiks cube in less than 2 min
    I have cubed for a while and average somewhere around 75 seconds per solve. I use a boring vanilla layer method, and I will probably never get much faster unless I adopt a more sophisticated approach.

Solving the cube on the order of minutes is relatively easy and boils down to rapid pattern recognition and the memorization of pattern-specific algorithms. When I first learned the layer method, I was solving the cube consistently in under 3 minutes that same day (which speaks about the ease of the method, not my capacity for cubing). But getting down below about a 90 second average took me several more weeks. And like I said, I will never be much faster than I am now unless I move away from the layer method approach to solving.

For anyone interested in a straightforward beginner's layer method, the following is the method I started with:

http://peter.stillhq.com/jasmine/JasmineLeeBeginnerRubikSolution.pdf
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 22:421 edit
    any question you got i got an answer i masterd the rubicks cube now i just have to master time
    LMFAO.

Your best solve is 85 seconds, and yet you state that you have 'masterd' [sic] the cube. Try competing in the next world championship where some folks can consistently solve a 3x3x3 in under 20 seconds.
  4. Under Cover
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 03:46
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    LMFAO.

Your best solve is 85 seconds, and yet you state that you have 'masterd' [sic] the cube. Try competing in the next world championship where some folks can consistently solve a 3x3x3 in under 20 seconds.
    At ELO 2200, the USCF says that you have mastered chess. Top GM's are 2500+, but that doesn't mean that the 2200's aren't masters. They are far and away better than the average Joe. Solving a Rubik's cube in under 2 minutes is far and away better than most people who pick one up. And yes, there was a time when I could consistently solve in 30 seconds or less, my best time was 24 seconds...not world record material, but still pretty darned good.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 04:101 edit
    Originally posted by BLReid
    At ELO 2200, the USCF says that you have mastered chess. Top GM's are 2500+, but that doesn't mean that the 2200's aren't masters. They are far and away better than the average Joe. Solving a Rubik's cube in under 2 minutes is far and away better than most people who pick one up. And yes, there was a time when I could consistently solve in 30 seconds or less, my best time was 24 seconds...not world record material, but still pretty darned good.
    Blah blah blah. The point is that rubikscuber is full of himself. I solve the cube in about 75 seconds on average, and there ain't no way in hell that I would consider myself a 'master' of the cube.

24 seconds definitely is darned good.
  6. Joined
    03 Mar '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '06 22:08
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Blah blah blah. The point is that rubikscuber is full of himself. I solve the cube in about 75 seconds on average, and there ain't no way in hell that I would consider myself a 'master' of the cube.

24 seconds definitely is darned good.
    by master of the cube i mean i masterd the technique just not the time there is still time delay from algorithm to algorithm because it takes me awile to recognize the pattern but that doesnt mean i havent masterd the technique just the flow from on algorithm to another
  7. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 16:06
    I´ve been learning the algorithms to complete the 1st layer corners and 2nd layer edges in one go. At first I thought that they would take ages to learn as there are 40 of them. Then I noticed that many of them are simple or mirror images and it wouldn´t take too long.

However whenever I try and work from a random cube to practice I´m forever thinking, which algorithm do I use here? I can never remember which one to use. Perhaps I should name them, then a particular configuration of blocks becomes, ´George´, or perhaps ´La Paz´. Any suggestions for curing the gray matter problem?
  8. Joined
    03 Mar '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 20:57
    the only thing i can think of would be finding better algorithms for the first and second layer i use 3 algorithims(they are repeated over and over) first i make a cross on one side ill leave this to you but make sure that the edge peaces match up with that color face. secon the first layer corners. fint the edge peace and line it up under the corner you want it then preform this algorithm Ri Di R D repeat this till the corner is where its supposed to be do this for every coner then turn the cube upside down. to line up the edge peace make sure the ones you want to line up are on top. take the edge peace and line it up with its face. if the peace is on the front face preform this algorithm U R Ui Ri Ui Fi U F if the peace is on the right face then preform this algorithm Ui Fi U F U R Ui Ri this should be done for every edge peace until the first and second layer are complete
  9. Standard membercelticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    Eastbourne
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 21:35
    they take 9 moves.
  10. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 01:07
    the only thing i can think of would be finding better algorithms for the first and second layer i use 3 algorithims(they are repeated over and over) first i make a cross on one side ill leave this to you but make sure that the edge peaces match up with that color face. secon the first layer corners. fint the edge peace and line it up under the corner y ...[text shortened]... U R Ui Ri this should be done for every edge peace until the first and second layer are complete
    I´ve been using algorithms to solve the cube one layer at a time for years, what I´m trying to do is learn the 40 (including mirrors) algorithms required to fix 1st layer corners and 2nd layer edges in one go using anything from 3 to 8 moves per algorithm. These algorithms cover ALL the possible positions of the corner and edge pieces (not peaces) after the bottom cross has been solved.

What you´re suggesting here is the very basic cube solving, I´m afraid that you´ve not mastered the cube, you sound like me, still a beginner in this world.
  11. Standard membergollumprawn
    it's mine
    manchester, england
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 23:52
    Originally posted by gollumprawn
    it's from that film the cube, where people who are addicted to the rubbicks cube are put in, to break them of thier addiction.😛😛 And you realize after 2 minutes , you would be lucky just to get out alive
    i've just heard some shocking news. all people commenting on this thread will be collected for the new reallity show called survive the cube. bye it was good knowing you
  12. Joined
    03 Mar '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '06 00:49
    thanks

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree