Running in Space

Running in Space

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
24 Jan 09

Watching 2001: A Space Odyssey got me thinking. If you're running around the inside of a cylinder along the circumference in space, is it essentially the same as running on a flat surface in terms of energy it takes to run?

The guy was wearing some kind of shoes that kept him glued to the ground, so he wasn't floating around.

Any ideas?

F

Moves
24 Jan 09

Originally posted by prosoccer
Watching 2001: A Space Odyssey got me thinking. If you're running around the inside of a cylinder along the circumference in space, is it essentially the same as running on a flat surface in terms of energy it takes to run?

The guy was wearing some kind of shoes that kept him glued to the ground, so he wasn't floating around.

Any ideas?
A runner in a cylinder in space doesn't have to have 'glue shoes'. The 'centrifugal force' makes the job.

But (depending of the radius of the cylinder) the coriolis effect makes you feel that you are falling farward all the time. You have to compensate for this by leaning backwards. This makes the runner look funny.

M

Moves
24 Jan 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
But (depending of the radius of the cylinder) the coriolis effect makes you feel that you are falling farward all the time. You have to compensate for this by leaning backwards. This makes the runner look funny.
Unless perhaps, you ran the other way? 🙂

F

Moves
24 Jan 09

Originally posted by Meadows
Unless perhaps, you ran the other way? 🙂
Samo samo.

p

Moves
24 Jan 09

A runner in a cylinder in space doesn't have to have 'glue shoes'. The 'centrifugal force' makes the job.

But which way will the toilet flush?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
25 Jan 09

Originally posted by prosoccer

Any ideas?
Depends on size of cylinder and speed of rotation. We are all running on the outside of a sphere but we all percieve it as flat.

Coriolis effect only matters for small cylinders,

How small? ... dunno .. somebody work it out!

In terms of energy I would make an educated guess that the work done (energy) is equivalent to Force x Distance so that the more you perceive the surface as flat the closer it would be to actually running.

Moves
26 Jan 09

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Depends on size of cylinder and speed of rotation. We are all running on the outside of a sphere but we all percieve it as flat.

Coriolis effect only matters for small cylinders,

How small? ... dunno .. somebody work it out!

In terms of energy I would make an educated guess that the work done (energy) is equivalent to Force x Distance so that the more you perceive the surface as flat the closer it would be to actually running.
The flatter the cylinder was/looked (i.e. if a big one) would lead to a loss of certipetal force on the feet vs the floor and so wouldn't the runner drift away?

f
Defend the Universe

Moves
26 Jan 09

Centrifugal force doesn't exist, or at least not in the way you used it there; I'm not sure if you were trying to make a funny... 🙂

It's centripetal force.

A

Moves
27 Jan 09

Originally posted by divegeester
The flatter the cylinder was/looked (i.e. if a big one) would lead to a loss of certipetal force on the feet vs the floor and so wouldn't the runner drift away?
couldn't they just compensate by having the cylinder rotate faster?

A

Moves
27 Jan 09

Originally posted by forkedknight
Centrifugal force doesn't exist, or at least not in the way you used it there; I'm not sure if you were trying to make a funny... 🙂

It's centripetal force.
pretty sure this was how he was using the idea of "centrifugal force," though you're right - as newtonian physics would define "force," it doesn't really exist. however, within the perspective of the rotating system, it has real, physical, perceptible meaning.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/newton/askasci/1993/physics/PHY6.HTM

F

Moves
27 Jan 09

It's centripetal force.
That's why I used quote/unqutoe around the word 'centrifugal' force just to avoid such a comment. I thought you would understand what I meant.

'Centrifugal' force cannot be interchanged with 'centripetal' force. You know that...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Jan 09

If it's a cylinder a thousand meters in diameter, you probably wouldn't notice the difference between that and gravity. But wouldn't the centripital effect get greater the faster you ran?

m

Moves
27 Jan 09

It's centripetal force.
http://xkcd.com/123/

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
27 Jan 09

Originally posted by mtthw
http://xkcd.com/123/
Teh lulz 😵