Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    25 Sep '10 00:32
    Two cars emerge side by side from a tunnel. Car A is traveling with a speed of 60 km/h and has an acceleration of 40 km/h/min. Car B has a speed of 40 km/h and an acceleration of 60 km/h/min. Which car is passing the other as they come out of the tunnel? Explain.
  2. Subscriber joe shmo
    Strange Egg
    25 Sep '10 01:35 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Two cars emerge side by side from a tunnel. Car A is traveling with a speed of 60 km/h and has an acceleration of 40 km/h/min. Car B has a speed of 40 km/h and an acceleration of 60 km/h/min. Which car is passing the other as they come out of the tunnel? Explain.
    Car A is passing Car B, however a few moments later Car B will pass Car A.

    Explination:

    dX_A/dt >dX_B/dt for t < 2 min

    dX_A/dt<dX_B/dt for t>2 min
  3. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    25 Sep '10 06:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Two cars emerge side by side from a tunnel. Car A is traveling with a speed of 60 km/h and has an acceleration of 40 km/h/min. Car B has a speed of 40 km/h and an acceleration of 60 km/h/min. Which car is passing the other as they come out of the tunnel? Explain.
    Duh, you just SAID they are side by side leaving the tunnel
  4. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    25 Sep '10 06:22
    Yes, but that's not what I'm asking. The tunnel is just there as a frame of reference.
  5. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    25 Sep '10 18:59
    But as far as I can see, Joe Shmo is right.

    Next:

    A speeding motorist travels past a stationary police officer at a speed of 120km/hr. The officer immediately begins pursuit at a constant acceleration of 10km/hr/s.

    a. How long will it take for the police officer to reach the speeder, assuming the speeder maintains a constant speed?

    b. How fast will the officer be traveling at that time?
  6. 26 Sep '10 12:18
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    But as far as I can see, Joe Shmo is right.

    Next:

    A speeding motorist travels past a stationary police officer at a speed of 120km/hr. The officer immediately begins pursuit at a constant acceleration of 10km/hr/s.

    a. How long will it take for the police officer to reach the speeder, assuming the speeder maintains a constant speed?

    b. How fast will the officer be traveling at that time?
    a. 24 seconds
    b. 240 km/h
  7. 26 Sep '10 13:05
    cfevdghjkl
  8. 26 Sep '10 13:06
    sorry something was wrond wit my keyboard
  9. 26 Sep '10 13:06
    (wrong) (with)
  10. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    27 Sep '10 04:55
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    a. 24 seconds
    b. 240 km/h
    Por qué?

    It's probably pretty simple, but I'm just learning how to do this and don't want to come across as stupid.
  11. 27 Sep '10 07:50 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Por qué?

    It's probably pretty simple, but I'm just learning how to do this and don't want to come across as stupid.
    It's useful to know the formula:

    Distance travelled = start_distance + start_speed*time + 0.5*acceleration*time**2

    At the point of interception the Police officer and the motorist must have travelled the same distance.
  12. 27 Sep '10 16:04 / 2 edits
    For the police officer I used s = 1/2 at², and for the other one I used s = v t.
    a = 10 km/h/s
    v = 120 km/h
    s = s

    1/2 × 10t² = 120t
    5t² - 120t = 0
    5t × (t - 24) = 0
    t = 0 or t = 24

    In 24 seconds, the police officer drives at 10 × 24 = 240 km/h

    Note:
    s = 1/2 at²
    v = at = s'
    a = v' = s''
  13. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    27 Sep '10 17:05
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Two cars emerge side by side from a tunnel. Car A is traveling with a speed of 60 km/h and has an acceleration of 40 km/h/min. Car B has a speed of 40 km/h and an acceleration of 60 km/h/min. Which car is passing the other as they come out of the tunnel? Explain.
    Regardless of their accelerations the current fastest car will pull ahead.
  14. 28 Sep '10 03:39 / 2 edits
    Are we doing your maths homework Clandfire?
  15. 28 Sep '10 13:16
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Are we doing your maths homework Clandfire?
    Hi, I'm Kareem. I'm 16.

    Yup.