Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Standard memberMathurine
    sorozatgyilkos
    leölés ellenfeleim
    Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    40507
    26 Feb '07 12:31
    On a man's tombstone, it is recorded that one sixth of his life was spent in childhood and one twelfth as a teenager. One seventh of his life passed between the time he became an adult and the time he married; five years later, his son was born. Alas, the son died four years before he did. He lived to be twice as old as his son did.

    How old did the man live to be?
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    26 Feb '07 14:29
    Originally posted by Mathurine

    How old did the man live to be?
    As old as Archimedes.
  3. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52874
    26 Feb '07 16:311 edit
    Originally posted by Mathurine
    On a man's tombstone, it is recorded that one sixth of his life was spent in childhood and one twelfth as a teenager. One seventh of his life passed between the time he became an adult and the time he married; five years later, his son was born. Alas, the son died four years before he did. He lived to be twice as old as his son did.

    [b]How old did the man live to be?
    [/b]
    Seems like too much information:
    At 1/12th of the teenage years, then it would simply be 12*(19-13)
    or 12*6= 72 years.
    Son= 72/2 or 36 years.
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    35068
    26 Feb '07 17:051 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Seems like too much information:
    At 1/12th of the teenage years, then it would simply be 12*(19-13)
    or 12*6= 72 years.
    Son= 72/2 or 36 years.
    Wouldn't that be 12*7? You're a teenager until you turn 20. Otherwise seems right (lived to 84, married at 33, son at 38, son dies at age 42 4 years ago).
  5. Standard memberMathurine
    sorozatgyilkos
    leölés ellenfeleim
    Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    40507
    26 Feb '07 18:01
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Wouldn't that be 12*7? You're a teenager until you turn 20. Otherwise seems right (lived to 84, married at 33, son at 38, son dies at age 42 4 years ago).
    Correct, Mtthw; nice one!
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    26 Feb '07 18:14
    I was wrong about Archimedes. The tombstone refers to Diophantus, who died at 84.
  7. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52874
    26 Feb '07 22:33
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Wouldn't that be 12*7? You're a teenager until you turn 20. Otherwise seems right (lived to 84, married at 33, son at 38, son dies at age 42 4 years ago).
    Ah, I guess you spend 7 years as a teen then.
Back to Top