1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 11:241 edit
    so people agree it's not possible to travel the speed of light... doesnt light travel that speed...? therefore, it is possible

thank you... and good night
  2. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 13:13
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    so people agree it's not possible to travel the speed of light... doesnt light travel that speed...? therefore, it is possible

😲
    😵
    Man you just hit the jackpot! That's it. You got it. 😀
  3. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 15:10

Not quite, they actually stated that nothing could accelerate towards the speed of light.
  4. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 18:09
    Originally posted by demonseed
    Not quite, they actually stated that nothing could accelerate towards the speed of light.
    doesnt light?
  5. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 18:20
    doesnt light?
    It doesn't accelerate.
  6. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 19:09
    Originally posted by demonseed
    It doesn't accelerate.
    light accelerates.... doesnt it...?
  7. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 19:23
    No, and actually, there's nothing to stop anything from travelling at the speed of light, except for the enormous quantity of energy required. The actual thing is that nothing can travel faster, without its mass converting to energy (which doesn't travel faster than light either)
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 12:16
    Nothing with a mass can travel with the velocity of light. Light do not have a mass. If something has no mass, it has to travel with the velocity of light.

If something has mass, it cannot travel in the velocity of light. It can however travel at any other velocity. If it travels faster than light, then it has a complex component in its mass.

If you want to travel with a velocity faster than light, then you have to accelerate across the barrier of light speed. No one knows how to do it, remember, the velocity of light is a forbidden velocity for everything posessing mass.
  9. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 14:21
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Nothing with a mass can travel with the velocity of light. Light do not have a mass. If something has no mass, it has to travel with the velocity of light.

If something has mass, it cannot travel in the velocity of light. It can however travel at any other velocity. If it travels faster than light, then it has a complex component in its mass.

If you ...[text shortened]... to do it, remember, the velocity of light is a forbidden velocity for everything posessing mass.
    You're not right at everything you're say.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 18:59

If you ...[text shortened]... to do it, remember, the velocity of light is a forbidden velocity for everything posessing mass.
    Sounds like you are treating tachyon theory as a fact. It is far from a proven fact, even the idea of complex mass is open to debate.
    The thing that has me bugged and everyone else for sure thinking about it, is what is 'dark matter'? It seems to connect to regular matter only through gravity and string theory says gravity is weak compared to EM, strong, electroweak, etc. because gravity crosses dimensional boundries and so gets diluted from its real strength so we see only a weakened version of it here in our dimensions.
    So it could be that Dark Matter is in another dimension but very close to us enough to interact with us via gravity.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 19:582 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Sounds like you are treating tachyon theory as a fact. It is far from a proven fact, even the idea of complex mass is open to debate.
    The thing that has me bugged and everyone else for sure thinking about it, is what is 'dark matter'? It seems to connect to regular matter only through gravity and string theory says gravity is weak compared to EM, strong, e ...[text shortened]... rk Matter is in another dimension but very close to us enough to interact with us via gravity.
    In my posting I didn't say anything about tachyons. I don't know what to believe about them, I don't know enough to have an opinion about them. The E=mc2 formula forbids a m=0 when v=c because of division by zero. However, it does not forbid a v>c when m /=0. If this spells tachyons, I don't know.

And as adam warlock says: "You're not right at everything you're say." True, very true. If everybody writes only things that he/she is absolute certain of, then nothing much would be written. The Spirituality Forum, as an example, would be totally empty.
  12. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 20:261 edit
    If everybody writes only things that he/she is absolute certain of, then nothing much would be written. The Spirituality Forum, as an example, would be totally empty.
    Judging by what I've read there, that might well be an improvement!
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 20:331 edit
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Judging by what I've read there, that might well be an improvement!
    😉 I wonder what a discussion about tachyons would be like there...?
  14. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '07 09:261 edit
    😉 I wonder what a discussion about tachyons would be like there...?
    I don't know, but somehow it would get turned into an argument between theists and atheists. 🙂
  15. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    03 Jul '07 09:41

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=5398165

The story is a little complicated when it comes to photon mass. But that's roughly true, my maximum speed would be just a whisker below.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree