spped of light

spped of light

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
01 Oct 06

Originally posted by liteswordatlitespeed
Sorry. I really and truly don't know the formulas. A bit of stupidity and a bit of dishonor on my part, really. nothing much more to day for now. L8r.
Don't be sorry. Most people don't.

Here is the formula: E=m*c2
where m = m0/(sqr(1-v2/c2))
where v = your velocity and c = velocity of light.

When your velocity equals light velocity yields m = m0/(1-sqrt(zero)) = m0/zero, not good, forbidden velocity.

Try a velocity > velocity of light yields m = m0/(1-sqrt(something less than zero)), confusing but not forbidden. The question is if nature permits imginary units involved with mass.

Some says it is rubbish but can't explain why. I say that nature doesn't forbid superluminal velocities.

But how to reach the super luminous velocity? There I have no idea at all. Perhaps this barrier (v=c) is the way for nature to forbid superluminous velocities. But what about those particles that is emmitted in superluminous velocities? Does anyone know?

l

Moves
01 Oct 06

I gotcher back Fabian!

I know what your talking about but....

I can't place the name!

Particles emitted at superluminous velocities....

whats the word im looking for..........

NEUTRINOS!

What about those?

Those go very, very close to the speed of light because they have a fractional mass...

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Oct 06

What's "fractional mass"?

T

Moves
02 Oct 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
What's "fractional mass"?
probably the mass of the particle is infintesimally (sp?) small...meaning it is extremely close to zero, thus it can travel almost the speed of light....although that is all just a guess on my part

F

Moves
02 Oct 06
1 edit

I gotcher back Fabian!
I know what your talking about but....
I can't place the name!
Particles emitted at superluminous velocities....
whats the word im looking for..........
[b]NEUTRINOS!

What about those?
Those go very, very close to the speed of light because they have a fractional mass...[/b]
No, not neutrinos... but...

Ah, tachyons. But this is only a hypothesis.
No one has actually observed such a particle.
Thought of being born in super luminous velocities, not having the possibilities to drop to sub luminous velocities.

Do I believe in tachyons? No more than pre big bang universe, a life beyond death, traveling backwards in time, and such... I just don't know.

l

Moves
02 Oct 06

Tachyons are used in Star Trek to scan subspace.

F

Moves
02 Oct 06

Tachyons are used in Star Trek to scan subspace.
Star Trek is fiction. Don't confuse it with reality.

I found a link where tachyons are explained:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/ParticleAndNuclear/tachyons.html

T

Moves
03 Oct 06

Originally posted by FabianFnas
No, not neutrinos... but...

Ah, tachyons. But this is only a hypothesis.
No one has actually observed such a particle.
Thought of being born in super luminous velocities, not having the possibilities to drop to sub luminous velocities.

Do I believe in tachyons? No more than pre big bang universe, a life beyond death, traveling backwards in time, and such... I just don't know.
so then essentially, it is hypothesized that something can actually travel faster than the speed of light, although not yet discover?

F

Moves
03 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by TDR1
so then essentially, it is hypothesized that something can actually travel faster than the speed of light, although not yet discover?
Well, the theory doesn't forbid 'faster than light', only 'fast as light'.
The theory doesn't say that any particle actually travel 'faster than light'.
So the tachyons are only hypothetical. Yet.

l

Moves
03 Oct 06

Well if they knew about them then it would be a week's worth of talk. If they had found it then...

It would be the scientific discovery of the world.

However, they are working on it with FermiLab's atomsmasher.

TT

Moves
04 Oct 06

I would say that it is possible to travel at the speed of light since light itself does so.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
04 Oct 06

Originally posted by The Th1ng
I would say that it is possible to travel at the speed of light since light itself does so.
If you have no mass you can go at the speed of light. Anything with mass takes an infinite amount of energy to travel at the speed of light and would become more massive than the rest of the universe so its pretty much out of the question. Photons have zero mass, just flying packets of electromagnetic energy.

F

Moves
04 Oct 06

Originally posted by sonhouse
If you have no mass you can go at the speed of light.
Is it possible to have any other velocity than this of light if a particle is massless? Can a massless particle be stationary?

If a particle has a mass with the property that its mass squared is negative, does it have to have a speed above that of light? Is it impossible to have a sub light velocity then?

This is two interesting questions I don't have an answer to.

l

Moves
05 Oct 06

a massless particle? but that would be a wave of energy which is always moving. Light cannot be frozen however if you went as fast as light you could see it was frozen. Nor can waves of energy be frozen. they can only appear frozen. We have not even frozen particles to absolute zero yet.

f

Moves
12 Oct 06

The reason you go back in time when you travel at the speed of light is this:
Imagine that you where in space, and miles in front of you was a clock, that you could see from your start place, because of the light travelling from the clock to you. If you then travelled faster than the speed of light towards the clock, you could read the time sooner than before, so would have travelled back in time.

Assuming time travel is impossible, it is impossible for humans to travel at "light speed".

Anyone follow that???