1. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Sep '06 19:572 edits
    man i really have to learn to say what i mean.

What i meant to say was on tv. plus i havent seen all of them. I've seen some ships that can travel faster than light on TV shows.

fiction kinda merges with my reality, but not to the point where I go to comic-con dressed as a star wars character. lmfao.

I'm not that obsessed with it. I'm just another average person. I just do alot more research than the average person.

edit-I cant say that I have seen every episode of any sci-fi show, so you can't say i obsess that much. I also don't own every piece of merchandise for any sci-fi franchise. I'm not that bad of a sci-fi nerd. I just like the concepts that they get into. Faster-than-light travel. Ideas of different life actually being out there. Warp drives and reactionless drives and ion drives. I get into the stuff that mostly merges into the realm of science. It's more the science i'm into, not the fiction.
  2. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    30 Sep '06 23:55
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No.
    Elaborate. How does that work exactly then?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 03:17
    Yes you would have to allow for a time to travel backwards.

If you were going faster than light you would have to allow for

negative time

or at least i think so.

Time would have to go backwards according to the theory of relativity.

Or at least i think so.

I can't be too sure.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 05:42
    Originally posted by liteswordatlitespeed
    Yes you would have to allow for a time to travel backwards.
    If you were going faster than light you would have to allow for
    negative time
    or at least i think so.
    Time would have to go backwards according to the theory of relativity.
    Or at least i think so.
    I can't be too sure.
    I don't get it?
    Why has time to go backward in super luminal velocities?

And what happens when time goes backward?
    Even the brain goes backward and then when you backwardly experience backwarded time, then you find everything backwardly backward - and - this is forward.

How can you then prove that the time is forward even now?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 05:50
    Originally posted by Gastel
    So you would allow for the state where time can go backwards.

No.

Elaborate. How does that work exactly then?
    Is there anything to elaborate?

I have no clue how time behaves in super luminal velocities.
    I just say that the equations doesn't permit 'in light velocities' but accept velocities over that of light.
  6. Joined
    09 Sep '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 06:211 edit
    only a few hundred years ago we thought the world was flat. we thought this so strongly that people were considered heretics and put to death for speaking any concept of a spherical planet. i like to think that what we know about science is interesting at best until proven. historically speaking - we as a race have a track record of almost always being wrong in matters still far beyond our clear understanding. to that end, i am certain that super light speeds may be achieved when we know more - but presently our theories and level of technology prevent us from understanding what we don't know.

so if you're driving a car at the speed of light and turn on your headlights - do they do anything? 🙂
  7. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 06:27
    Originally posted by XiRoCCo
    only a few hundred years ago we thought the world was flat. we thought this so strongly that people were considered heretics and put to death for speaking any concept of a spherical planet. i like to think that what we know about science is interesting at best until proven. historically speaking - we as a race have a track record of almost always being wr ...[text shortened]... u're driving a car at the speed of light and turn on your headlights - do they do anything? 🙂
    Speed of light is constant in all respects. Therefore the lights would pass and observer at the speed of light (as would you), but the light would travel out from you at the speed of light as well. This is due to the relavistic nature of time at the time (hehehe).

And FF - Time would have to go backwards in superluminal speeds and therefore, time would have to go backwards. Now, we know this actually occurs - see Superman and C. Reeves reversing time and the earth's rotation to save L. Lane - so I guess you must be right.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 08:21
    And FF - Time would have to go backwards in superluminal speeds and therefore, time would have to go backwards. Now, we know this actually occurs - see Superman and C. Reeves reversing time and the earth's rotation to save L. Lane - so I guess you must be right.
    I don't believe you.

I actually don't think there is any theories about fenomena in the super luminous velocities. Other than it is permitted. Only hypothesies.
    Fun to talk about under influence of a couple of beers with good friends of the same kind as youself or the opposite kind as well. (!) But this is not science, just talk.

As I see it, we hav very rudimentary knowing of the time itself and its fenomenon. Tell me - why can we walk in every direction in the 3-dimensional space but only go in one direction in the one-dimensional time? Why is not the time two-dimensional, or three? Is there any parallell time-lines as there is space-lines? Why do we know so little about time, when it is so natural to experience it?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 13:042 edits
    Yes, there's also the question of whether time is even truly documented correctly. We think of time as a thing that is "linear" in nature; however, this does not seem to be true for all of time. Time has these certain bends and twists that are not documented on a "linear" scale. We think time works in a straight line but it does not. So how can we say anything that even relates to time if we dont even know the true nature of time?

edit-FF, time isn't linear. It's not just one dimension. It's alot. We just can't see them. They are beyond our understanding.

edit2- Oh and how do you expect us to get to superluminous velocities through bypassing a hole in the graph? I would like to know how you plan to go beyond the speed of light without going through it for a split second.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 15:19
    Originally posted by liteswordatlitespeed
    Yes, there's also the question of whether time is even truly documented correctly. We think of time as a thing that is "linear" in nature; however, this does not seem to be true for all of time. Time has these certain bends and twists that are not documented on a "linear" scale. We think time works in a straight line but it does not. So how can ...[text shortened]... w you plan to go beyond the speed of light without going through it for a split second.
    "We think of time as a thing that is "linear" in nature; however, this does not seem to be true for all of time."

Please, be more specific. What does "linear" in this context mean?

"time isn't linear. It's not just one dimension. It's alot. We just can't see them. They are beyond our understanding."

If time is two-dimensional or has more dimensions in time - where is the observations that this is the case? Do we mean the same thing when we say dimension? If it is beyond our understanding, isn't then multidimensional time just a guessing?

"Oh and how do you expect us to get to superluminous velocities through bypassing a hole in the graph?"

I have no idea. There is nothing in the equations that forbids us to travel faster than light. Only that is forbidden by law (of nature) to travel in the speed of light. How to reach the superluminal velocity is a question of its own. Study the equations and see what happens when v>c and you will see for yourself.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 18:45
    "We think of time as a thing that is "linear" in nature; however, this does not seem to be true for all of time."

Please, be more specific. What does "linear" in this context mean?

"time isn't linear. It's not just one dimension. It's alot. We just can't see them. They are beyond our understanding."

If time is two-dimensional or has more dimensio ...[text shortened]... Study the equations and see what happens when v>c and you will see for yourself.
    Time is in a straight line. It does not deviate from a linear function. however time works in strange ways.

I can't offer proof that time is not linear however. sorry for that evidence.

Study the equations when v>c?
    Give me the equation and i might run over it. sounds like velocity is greater than lightspeed though.

Sorry. I really and truly don't know the formulas. A bit of stupidity and a bit of dishonor on my part, really. nothing much more to day for now. L8r.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 19:19
    I don't believe you.

I actually don't think there is any theories about fenomena in the super luminous velocities. Other than it is permitted. Only hypothesies.
    Fun to talk about under influence of a couple of beers with good friends of the same kind as youself or the opposite kind as well. (!) But this is not science, just talk.

As I see it, we ha ...[text shortened]... e is space-lines? Why do we know so little about time, when it is so natural to experience it?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 19:25
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
    What do you want with the link?
    Time dilation is of course a known fenomenon but has nothing to do with multidimensional time.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 19:29
    It's where the comment about time going backwards at superluminal speeds came from I think. I started out to prove it but when the Lorenz factor didn't act the way I wanted it to at such velocities I just gave up and posted the link.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Oct '06 19:44
    Time dilation at superluminal speeds would slow things down to a point where they would go backwards.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree