Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 11 May '07 00:24
    there are 2 people named jack and john. both of them have split personalities. jack in his normal state always tells the truth and in his altered state always tells lies, john in his normal state always tells a lie and in his altered state always tells the truth.

    Suppose you were to meet just 1 of them, what simple yes or no question could you ask to find out what his name is?
  2. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    11 May '07 00:31
    lol, is it simple, do they look different?
  3. 11 May '07 00:50
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    there are 2 people named jack and john. both of them have split personalities. jack in his normal state always tells the truth and in his altered state always tells lies, john in his normal state always tells a lie and in his altered state always tells the truth.

    Suppose you were to meet just 1 of them, what simple yes or no question could you ask to find out what his name is?
    Are you in your altered state at the moment?
  4. 11 May '07 00:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    there are 2 people named jack and john. both of them have split personalities. jack in his normal state always tells the truth and in his altered state always tells lies, john in his normal state always tells a lie and in his altered state always tells the truth.

    Suppose you were to meet just 1 of them, what simple yes or no question could you ask to find out what his name is?
    "are you in your altered state?"

    Jack will say no and john will say yes

    NEXT! lol

    EDIT: looks like I was beaten lol
  5. 11 May '07 02:15
    Originally posted by Nicky4815
    "are you in your altered state?"

    Jack will say no and john will say yes

    NEXT! lol

    EDIT: looks like I was beaten lol
    No, Whiterose's question wast to DMMC.
  6. 11 May '07 02:34
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    lol, is it simple, do they look different?
    no
  7. 11 May '07 02:35
    Originally posted by whiterose
    Are you in your altered state at the moment?
    maybe
  8. 11 May '07 02:35
    Originally posted by Nicky4815
    "are you in your altered state?"

    Jack will say no and john will say yes

    NEXT! lol

    EDIT: looks like I was beaten lol
    you don't know which state their in right now
  9. 11 May '07 03:04
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    you don't know which state their in right now
    It doesn't matter what state they're in right now. John will always answer "yes" because he will tell the truth if he is in an altered state and lie if he is not. Jack will do the opposite, therefore always answering "no".
  10. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    11 May '07 06:09
    Originally posted by whiterose
    It doesn't matter what state they're in right now. John will always answer "yes" because he will tell the truth if he is in an altered state and lie if he is not. Jack will do the opposite, therefore always answering "no".
    i have trouble opening doors, sometimes running into them as i grab...so advanced topics like no and opposite states are "tuff"
  11. 11 May '07 12:59
    Just a note regarding the answer.. What if they always believe themselves to be in their normal state?

    Might it be possible for someone to "lie" and yet give the correct answer, just as it is possible for them to give an honest but incorrect answer?

    Of course, if they are aware of which state they are in, it's no problem.
  12. 11 May '07 13:07
    any more guesses?
  13. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    11 May '07 17:26
    states like california,n.y. etc????