17 Nov '11 06:44
    Sweet as.
    😀
  2. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 23:14
    The bear is definately not white as Polar bears are only found at the North Pole and the Artic regions which has no midnight as such. Therefore the bear is either brown or black unless it's a Panda then it would be black and white. It's possible the bear could also be a Koala or even a Teddy bear......?

skeets
  3. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    18 Nov '11 18:28
    Originally posted by skeeter
    The bear is definately [b]not white as Polar bears are only found at the North Pole and the Artic regions which has no midnight as such. Therefore the bear is either brown or black unless it's a Panda then it would be black and white. It's possible the bear could also be a Koala or even a Teddy bear......?

skeets[/b]
    This very well could be what the puzzle intended, but just because it's not dark at midnight doesn't mean there isn't one...
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Nov '11 22:17
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    This very well could be what the puzzle intended, but just because it's not dark at midnight doesn't mean there isn't one...
    Midnight means just that - the middle of the night. If it's not dark then it's not night and so it follows that if a clock should chime at midnight it can't be at the North Pole where there is no night so the bear cannot be white and the South pole has no bears at all.

skeets
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 00:401 edit
    Ursa Major
  6. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 07:17
    That would be, um, sapphire blue?
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 18:57
    There's still day and night at the poles near the equinox and away from the solstice. I'm not sure there are any clocktowers that far North though...
  8. .
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 04:46
    So in answer to the original question the bear would be brown. This would be one of the brown bears located at Dählhölzli Zoo not far from Zytglogge Clock Tower in Berne, Switzerland.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 12:50
    The bear is definately not white as Polar bears are only found at the North Pole and the Artic regions which has no midnight as such.
    I know you like to be from the other side of the world, but even for an all-tropical Kiwi that is remarkably ignorant.

Of course there are nights and days in the Arctic. Some last longer or shorter than others, granted - but many don't last remarkably long or short at all. The closer you get to the Arctic Circle - and remember, polar bears tend to live not at the Pole itself, but near the edges of ice and land, which are themselves close to the Circle - the more normal the nights become.

Richard
  10. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 23:25
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    I know you like to be from the other side of the world, but even for an all-tropical Kiwi that is remarkably ignorant.

Of course there are nights and days in the Arctic. Some last longer or shorter than others, granted - but many don't last remarkably long or short at all. The closer you get to the Arctic Circle - and remember, polar bears ten ...[text shortened]... land, which are themselves close to the Circle - the more normal the nights become.

Richard
    The ignorance is all yours. Please tell me at what time it is midnight at the North Pole...?

skeets
  11. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 12:502 edits
    Going further away from the equator does not change the time when midnight happens, it just makes the time between dusk and dawn longer / shorter. Besides, midnight is typically considered to be at 0:00 hrs local time anyhow. North Pole has no standard timezone, so midnight there is at 0:00 hrs in whichever timezone is convenient, so that makes 24 standard midnights in every 24-hour period plus 16 more exotic ones such as the midnight of UTC +8:45 of Western Australia. So a clock on the North Pole could chime midnight, on the average, every 36 minutes.

The South Pole, on the other hand, uses New Zealand time (UTC +12), as the Amundsen-Scott South Pole station and the McMurdo Station are supplied from Christchurch, New Zealand. So midnight at the South Pole is when it's midnight for the OP, which is yet another reason to think that the bear is NOT white, as there are no polar bears on the South Pole.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Nov '11 15:04
    The ignorance is all yours. Please tell me at what time it is midnight at the North Pole...?
    This may come as a surprise to you, boy, but in the post to which I replied you were talking about (and I quote) "the Artic regions which has no midnight as such". Not merely about the North Pole - the Arctic (or "Artic", if you must - Lorryland, perhaps?) regions. Midnight at the exact pole may be debatable, but midnight anywhere else inside the Arctic works just as it does anywhere else. And, as I also wrote, polar bears do not live at the North Pole itself anyway.

I do realise that it's hard work reading what you yourself actually wrote, but do keep up there at the back.

Richard
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Nov '11 00:02
    The ignorance is all yours. Please tell me at what time it is mid[b]night at the North Pole...?

skeets[/b]
    Approximately 21st December. Would that not be the middle of the longest night?
  14. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 08:47
    Very long indeed.. here in Finland we get (at least in the northern parts) a 72-hour night or so.. which doesn't really measure up to the six-month night of the polar regions. Still, the 72-hour day of midsummer is pretty nice.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Dec '11 19:59
    Originally posted by andrew93
    Depends on your world view I suppose. I thought it was spelt correctly.

As I write this I watch with paralysed humour my favourite likeable neighbour through the sulphur-coated aluminium-framed window at his labours; he measured the calibre in metres, poured litres of concrete, analysed the odour (it smelt like chilli) and wrote a cheque for the artefac ...[text shortened]... titbits, which may create a furore if I ever took it on an aeroplane.

Sceptically yours.....
    please, for the love of God, make it stop!

(hah! my spellchecker lit up with all the red misspellings. goooood spellchecker... 😀 )

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree