1. my head
    Moves
    14 Sep '04 19:54
    the king has a set of perfectly sphirical cristal balls, which he keeps in a chest which is a perfect rectangular prism on the inside. when one shakes the chest, nothing jiggels. if you take some of the balls out and rearange the balls, then still nothing jiggels. this can be done again, and again, and then once more. if each ball is 1 inch in diamiter, then what is the smallest # of balls and the smallest dimensions for the box possible?
  2. Hendersonville, NC
    Moves
    14 Sep '04 21:06
    Originally posted by fearlessleader
    the king has a set of perfectly sphirical cristal balls, which he keeps in a chest which is a perfect rectangular prism on the inside. when one shakes the chest, nothing jiggels. if you take some of the balls out and rearange the balls, then still nothing jiggels. this can be done again, and again, and then once more. if each ball is 1 inch in diamiter, then what is the smallest # of balls and the smallest dimensions for the box possible?
    Smallest dimension of the box? or of the inside of the box?

~ Cheshire Cat 😀
  3. my head
    Moves
    15 Sep '04 19:04
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat
    Smallest dimension of the box? or of the inside of the box?

~ Cheshire Cat 😀
    the smallest possibel demensions (all three) of the inside of the box.
  4. R.I.P.
    Moves
    15 Sep '04 22:16
    1 x 1 x 2 working on the premise that one can include the balls taken out when rearranging them in the box.
  5. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    15 Sep '04 23:07
    Originally posted by fearlessleader
    Are the balls distinct, ie can a triangle of three touching balls be arranged in 2 (mirror image) ways?
  6. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    16 Sep '04 10:02
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Are the balls distinct, ie can a triangle of three touching balls be arranged in 2 (mirror image) ways?
    I read it that each time the balls are rearranged, balls are also removed, leading to a configuration which is necessarily distinct.

Is the inside of the box completely rigid?
  7. my head
    Moves
    16 Sep '04 20:54
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    I read it that each time the balls are rearranged, balls are also removed, leading to a configuration which is necessarily distinct.

Is the inside of the box completely rigid?
    yes to both.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree