1. R.I.P.
    Moves
    22 Aug '05 21:45
    A very tall young englishman went to live in a monastery in ireland, to learn to be a monk.
    He got used to the life after a while, but there was one thing he just couldn't bear. His feet were always cold.
    You see he was so tall that when he lay on his bunk at night, the blanket (and there was only one) just wouldn't stretch as far as his toes. Finally the old monk in the cell next door, said to him: "you'll need to be cutting a yard of your blanket off of the top, and be adding it to the bottom"
    Cut a yard off the top and add it to the bottom?!
    The Englishman thought the old Irish monk must be barmy.
    What do you think ?
  2. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    22 Aug '05 23:38
    A monastic mind-boggler, eh?
  3. Joined
    10 Aug '04
    Moves
    23 Aug '05 08:111 edit
    was the blanket 2 yards thick? :-)

[edit] Heavy! *shudders* [/edit]
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Aug '05 12:48
    Originally posted by Jay Peatea
    A very tall young englishman went to live in a monastery in ireland, to learn to be a monk.
    He got used to the life after a while, but there was one thing he just couldn't bear. His feet were always cold.
    You see he was so tall that when he lay on his bunk at night, the blanket (and there was only one) just wouldn't stretch as far as his toes. Finally ...[text shortened]... t to the bottom?!
    The Englishman thought the old Irish monk must be barmy.
    What do you think ?
    he cuts it of in the shape of a triangle, then sews it back on the
    other end, and moving the blanket a bit diagonally, thus making
    the total length enough to cover him from head to toe.
  5. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    23 Aug '05 17:36
    How about cutting the blanket using an old carpenter's trick (question)? Let's say the man is 6 ft tall, and wants at least a 6 ft blanket to give him some head room and comfortable feet. However, his blanket measures 5 ft x 3 3/5 ft (a reasonable size, and the reason for this tricky number will become apparent). Now viewing the blanket from the sky, and with the blanket oriented so the top runs 3 3/5 ft across and 5 ft down, he could cut the blanket as follows:

1) Make a vertical cut at the top of the blanket one-third of the way in from left, stopping halfway down the blanket (a vertical 2 1/2 ft cut).

2) Continuing from the first cut, make a horizontal cut one-third of the way across the blanket (a 1 1/5 ft cut).

3) Continuing from the second cut, make a vertical cut the rest of the way down the blanket (a 2 1/2 ft cut).

Now, rearrange the left most piece just cut but moving it down and to the right so it joins up with the other piece. Sew them together, and now you have a blanket 7 1/2 ft long and 2 2/5 ft wide, plenty of length to cover the feet and wide enough to cover the guy provided he sleeps on his back. The reason I chose those tricky numbers is to get the proper area. The area of the cut piece is (1 1/5 ft) x (2 1/2 ft) + (2 2/5 ft) x (2 1/2 ft) = 9 ft2 = 1 yard. If you tilt the blanket 90 degress, this yard could be said to come off the top.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 07:27
    Suppose the blanket is 5 feet wide. He cuts off a 3x5 foot piece from the top, and sews it onto the bottom but rotates it 90 degrees first. The blanket is now 2 feet longer though at one end it's only 3 feet wide; which is enough for the feet.
  7. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 15:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Suppose the blanket is 5 feet wide. He cuts off a 3x5 foot piece from the top, and sews it onto the bottom but rotates it 90 degrees first. The blanket is now 2 feet longer though at one end it's only 3 feet wide; which is enough for the feet.
    Hmmm, an effective solution and quite a bit simpler than mine...

I hate you.😕
    😉
  8. R.I.P.
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 16:38
    Yes this is the correct solution that I was expecting, but PBE6's solution is better because of the neatness of the resewn blanket.🙂
  9. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 17:09
    Originally posted by Jay Peatea
    Yes this is the correct solution that I was expecting, but PBE6's solution is better because of the neatness of the resewn blanket.🙂
    Oh yeah!!! <thrusts pelvis in a sexually charged manner>

Oh yeah!! You like that? Want some more?
    Yeah!! Yeah!! YEAH!!!

<humps air vigorously>

🙄🙄🙄
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 18:08
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Oh yeah!!! <thrusts pelvis in a sexually charged manner>

Oh yeah!! You like that? Want some more?
    Yeah!! Yeah!! YEAH!!!

<humps air vigorously>

🙄🙄🙄
    Uhh...sure...give Daddy all you got? 😲
  11. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 18:53
    Uhh...sure...give Daddy all you got? 😲
    Yeah baby!! <shakes bum provocatively>

😵Oooooooooooo-😵😵hhhmmmmmmmmpppppp😵😵😵...puuuggghghhhhhh....UUUUUuuunnnngh..nhhnhn..😞

It's not nearly as fun when it's over as when it starts.😞
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 21:22
    Yeah baby!! <shakes bum provocatively>

😵Oooooooooooo-😵😵hhhmmmmmmmmpppppp😵😵😵...puuuggghghhhhhh....UUUUUuuunnnngh..nhhnhn..😞

It's not nearly as fun when it's over as when it starts.😞
    Was the second line you blasting a fart out of your provocatively shaking bum?
  13. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    25 Aug '05 14:41
    Was the second line you blasting a fart out of your provocatively shaking bum?
    No, that was me blasting out a David Coverdale - you know, a "whitesnake". I over-provocated myself.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    25 Aug '05 17:48
    No, that was me blasting out a David Coverdale - you know, a "whitesnake". I over-provocated myself.
    😞
  15. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    25 Aug '05 17:54
    😞
    Exactly!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree