1. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 May '06 22:56
    Oh, wait...I just had an epiphany. The twins started out at the same speed, the one that took off in the rocket did indeed have to accelerate away and increase his velocity, since they both started out at zero velocity differance.
    Boy is my face red.
  2. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    15 May '06 23:53
    Originally posted by General Putzer
    Oh, wait...I just had an epiphany. The twins started out at the same speed, the one that took off in the rocket did indeed have to accelerate away and increase his velocity, since they both started out at zero velocity differance.
    Boy is my face red.
    Actually, you were on the right track one post earlier. Relativity makes no sense.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '06 00:06
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Actually, you were on the right track one post earlier. Relativity makes no sense.
    Now I'm really confused.
  4. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    16 May '06 14:56
    Now I'm really confused.
    Good. Now we're getting somewhere.
  5. Joined
    04 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 May '06 19:46
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    -- Albert Einstein
  6. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    17 May '06 10:19

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '06 14:51
    Utter garbage.

Don't post about something you clearly know nothing about.
    Alas, Mr. "I'm a Luddite and damned proud of it" Bowmann...

I dare say I know more about this subject than *you*.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '06 14:55
    Originally posted by ivangrice
    All I know is that some strange shit is going on here as the twins started out as male.
    The first post in this thread clearly refers to both of them as "she".
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '06 15:06
    I agree with your assessment, since speed is RELATIVE to the observer, the twin in a spaceship would see the twin on earth also moving away at the speed of light, so why would the twin in space not age while the twin on earth does? I know, I know, the twin on the rocket wouldn't age at all, but because the speeds are relative to who's doing the observing, i don't get it.
    BOTH twins would age (unless you've figured out how to stop time).

The twin on Earth ages normally, and the twin in space more slowly, *relative* to the one on Earth. The twin in space ages normally, and the twin on Earth more quickly, *relative* to the one in space.

It is the one actually undergoing a change in acceleration that gets the "time dilation" effect.

Don't let Bowmann confuse you, he's just here to play the griefer (unless, of course, he actually believes what he spews out, in which case we should all just feel sorry for him).
  10. Standard memberThe Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    under the sink
    Moves
    19 May '06 17:22
    Wouldn't it be interesting to find out that the the earth is already moving at some relativistic speed (relative to?), and the twin that left the earth "accelerated" in the wrong direction, and suddenly starting aging at an alarming pace as, instead of approaching relativistic speeds as she thought, she actually approached a relative speed of zero.

just a thought....

Have we "proved" the theory of relativity to be a fact?
  11. Standard membersven1000
    Astrophysicist
    Outer Space
    Moves
    19 May '06 20:21
    How about this: The twin in space is going close to the speed of light away from Earth. After a little while, the twin on Earth gets into a more advanced, faster spacecraft, and speeds off, catching up to the one already in space. I believe that when the Earth twin catches the space twin, the Earth twin will be younger!!! I think the age difference has more to do with who stays in their own reference frame (stays at a constant velocity the entire time) and doesn't have a sudden change (such as leaving Earth, or turning and coming back to Earth). Remember, velocity is both a speed and a direction, so going at the same speed and changing direction is still a change in velocity!
  12. Joined
    04 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 May '06 23:33
    Originally posted by The Plumber

just a thought....

Have we "proved" the theory of relativity to be a fact?
    It is in the nature of science that we can not "prove" any theory correct; we can only prove it incorrect. No one has proven the theory of relativity incorrect. So far....

Sorry to keep quoting him, but Einstein himself put it even more succinctly:

"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong."
    -- Albert Einstein
  13. Joined
    15 May '06
    Moves
    20 May '06 16:28
    congradulations!!
    you guys have just fried my brains. 🙄 😵
  14. Standard memberWheely
    Instant Buzz
    C#minor
    Moves
    27 May '06 19:32
    I think you guys are confusing the issue a bit. Both twins are exactly the same after the ten year period it's just that the one on earth finishes the ten year period "first".

As I understand it, if the twin on earth where able to instantly travel to the spaceship after the ten years were up, the spaceship twin would, indeed be physically younger and the ships clock would give an earlier date. She wouldn't have gone back in time but just gone to a different time.
  15. Joined
    17 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 May '06 06:48
    No, 2 twins 2 video screens. only if the space ship stayed near our earth, ie orbating around it or near to it would this be true, but if the ship sas travaling in a straighr line away then any data traveling from ever point would take time to do so. That is why the light from our sun takes aprox 2 mins to get to earth and thus us.The more distance between any source of the info that we recive the longer it takes to be recived. What we see in the night sky or even sound down a phone line is not now it is what has been, an echo of the past.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree