1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 07:56
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    And, not to be too picky, but it is technically a new day, today.
    😉
    WHEW!

😉
  2. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 12:35
    Originally posted by celticcountry
    some good answers in there.

I did nothing to cheat and beat my wife on purpose.
    I can't believe you beat your wife. And on purpose, too! Not accidental beatings for you, eh CC? For shame!
  3. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 12:401 edit
    Originally posted by PBE6
    But I still have a hard time believing it takes more time to exit a station from the wrong end than to travel by train from one station to another.
    CC forgot to add that his wife was mugged by some hoodie-clad yobs halfway down the platform. And when she got up the stairs to the turnstile, the Metropolitan Police Anti-terrorism squad fired several shots at her because she looked vaguely Brazilian.

After the narrow miss, she arrived at her flat, where CC proceeded to beat her for not having his dinner on the table. I think that was very mean, CC.
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 13:502 edits
    Thats it.

Here is the solution.

My wife gets on the train, she gets on the front carriage. (nearest the driver.If you like).

The train speds off.

I know I have 2 and a half minutes to wait and I am a little anxious about my wife being alone on the underground.I pace up and down.

3 minutes later , my train arrives. I get on .It just so ...[text shortened]... a good long trek down the platform.

Hope you all enjoyed the puzzle.

Thanks for you input.
    You have to walk a lot faster than your wife, or the two trains have to be different lengths, or stop at different points for this to work: Here's why.

On a given line of the tube, all trains are usually the same length and try to stop at the same point on the platform (otherwise some people will queue up at a point where they can't get on).

You are in the same position on the platform as your wife, when she gets on her train.

You have to walk to the back of the incoming train, this will be a walk of length X, and will take you some time.

Suppose the next train comes in immediately you are in the right spot, your train is now at least time taken to walk X behind your wife's train.

Your wife's train comes in, she starts walking to the back of her train, she will be at the back of her train when she has walked distance X. If she walks at the same speed as you, then your train will come in just as she finishes walking distance X, and you will exit the train right next to her, not in front.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 16:31
    Originally posted by sjeg
    CC forgot to add that his wife was mugged by some hoodie-clad yobs halfway down the platform. And when she got up the stairs to the turnstile, the Metropolitan Police Anti-terrorism squad fired several shots at her because she looked vaguely Brazilian.

After the narrow miss, she arrived at her flat, where CC proceeded to beat her for not having his dinner on the table. I think that was very mean, CC.
    Actually, the Shavs got to her first, insisted she white-trash-rap with them for a minute or two, down two 40's, and then, drunkenly, she proceded home.
    Because she wasn't able to remember the second stanza to one of Eminem's 'songs,' the Shavs prolonged her delay, making it possible for her husband to get home and then purposely beat her.
  6. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 15:40
    Hope you all enjoyed the puzzle.

Thanks for you input.
    Here's my input:

[TEXT REMOVED - CensorBot™]
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 18:20
    My wife and I regularly get on the same Tube in London at the same time.Monday to Friday.

We get off together and arrive home together.We live Right next to the Tube station.

The day in question.

As she gets on ,I drop my mobile phone and it bounces away from the train..

By the time I have picked it up the doors have closed and the train i ...[text shortened]... e station as she did.I took exaclty the same route as I always do.

How come I was home first?
    You live on the Circle Line. She got on the westbound train, you got on the correct Eastbound train.

D
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 18:25
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    It's a long, long, three minute walk long platform? Weak.
    The way London undergrounds cue up during busy periods, its very feasible that the next train could be in before you're off the platform.

D
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 18:30
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    You have to walk a lot faster than your wife, or the two trains have to be different lengths, or stop at different points for this to work: Here's why.

On a given line of the tube, all trains are usually the same length and try to stop at the same point on the platform (otherwise some people will queue up at a point where they can't get on).

You are ...[text shortened]... he finishes walking distance X, and you will exit the train right next to her, not in front.
    That makes no sense. The train journey is longer than x, making x completely redundant, as it could be performed while the train was moving.

Also, referring to the Tube's queuing system, your train could easily arrive 5 minutes after his wifes, and still catch up before she arrives at her home station.

Its not a very scientific puzzle, just a semi-interesting observation of a part of London life.

D
  10. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 22:411 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    That makes no sense. The train journey is longer than x, making x completely redundant, as it could be performed while the train was moving.

Also, referring to the Tube's queuing system, your train could easily arrive 5 minutes after his wifes, and still catch up before she arrives at her home station.

Its not a very scientific puzzle, just a semi-interesting observation of a part of London life.

D
    Indeed the train journey is longer than x, but you train must take at least x seconds to get you you (otherwise you would not be at the right point in the platform), so your train must start at least x seconds after your wife's

We also have the statement by celticcountry (on the first page)
    Both trains took exactly the same time.

Which means that your statement: Your train could easily arrive 5 minutes after his wifes, and still catch up before she arrives at her home station. is false

If you read my post again you should see that it does actually make sense given the extra fact supplied by Celtic in this thread.
  11. Standard membercelticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    Eastbourne
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 14:01
    Ladies, Please!
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 00:291 edit
    Pretty weak puzzle but a very funny thread.

I give it an 8.3!
  13. Argentina
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 07:26
    My wife and I regularly get on the same Tube in London at the same time.Monday to Friday.

We get off together and arrive home together.We live Right next to the Tube station.

The day in question.

As she gets on ,I drop my mobile phone and it bounces away from the train..

By the time I have picked it up the doors have closed and the train i ...[text shortened]... e station as she did.I took exaclty the same route as I always do.

How come I was home first?
    Hermano, sos un cornudo.... 😛
  14. Backside of desert
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 00:491 edit
    Thread is pretty funny, but I only give it 7.2

you should see "an incredibly hard puzzle Noone will solve" Gastel keeps telling people that there is no solution and stop posting

15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 16:04
    too many possible answers that are all equally valid.

That's like going into a goth club to play "I spy" and saying "I spy with my little eye something that is black"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree