1. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 14:54
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Those with an IQ above 75 know what the letters really stand for.
    While we are on the subject of IQ, let me admit that I only know what those letters stand for, but I don't know much more than that! Of course, I know there is some sort of test to determine one's intelligence. But recently I clicked on a link on this website which is about IQ test. I thought I'd try it out just for the fun of it. I answered several multiple-choice questions. And then in the end of it all, I was assessed to have a score of 120 points. Then an email was sent to me, offerring to send me a complete report. BUT!! I have to pay for it. I don't believe in all these cheap tricks, but am curious to know what is the maximum possible score for an IQ test. Anyone can help with this info?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 16:58
    "IQ is a measurement of the ability to solve IQ tests. Nothing more."
    (I don't know the origin of this statement.)

Say you are 3 years of age but have an intelligence of a 6 years. Then you have an IQ of (6/3=) 200.
    Say you are 45 years of age but have an intelligence of a 90 years old. Then you also have an IQ of (90/45=) 200. (!)
    IQ, as its intended form in the beginning, has nothing to do with adult intelligence, only for childrens intellectual development.

After the beginning, it has been extended to measure adults intelligence of racial reasons. Only if you have intelligence enough, you are smart enough to be immigrant to USA, to vote etc.

Now it is a number of, if it is high enough,something to brag about ones intelligence, which is worth nothing if you don't, at the same time, have any social skills, in case you don't have to brag about your IQ.

So those who brag about their intelligence often lack social skills.

This is my opinion about IQ.
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 01:08
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

Say you are 3 years of age but have an intelligence of a 6 years. Then you have an IQ of (6/3=) 200.
    Say you are 45 years of age but have an intelligence of a 90 years old. Then you also have an IQ of (90/45=) 200. (!)
    IQ, as its intended form in the beginning, has nothing to do with adult intelligence, only for childrensintellectual development.
    That's not how IQ works. The only correct bit in the section I quoted is the last sentence. Binet developed what became the IQ test for use in determining the education needs of children.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 07:00
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    That's not how IQ works. The only correct bit in the section I quoted is the last sentence. Binet developed what became the IQ test for use in determining the education needs of children.
    Right. So IQ is only a measurement of how good you are to solve IQ tests. Nothing more, nothing less.

I haven't seen any definition of what intelligence really is that everyone is agreed upon. So when we talk about intelligence, we're talking about opinions, and nothing else.

(Now it is a pleasure to discuss with you, XanthosNZ!)
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 07:16
    Right. So IQ is only a measurement of how good you are to solve IQ tests. Nothing more, nothing less.

I haven't seen any definition of what intelligence really is that everyone is agreed upon. So when we talk about intelligence, we're talking about opinions, and nothing else.

(Now it is a pleasure to discuss with you, XanthosNZ!)
    I was pointing out your incorrect assertion about IQ scores. IQ scores are nothing but a comparitive measure adjusted to have a mean of 100 and a known standard deviation (could be 24, 15 or some other value which makes comparing tests useless).
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 07:36
    I was pointing out your incorrect assertion about IQ scores. IQ scores are nothing but a comparitive measure adjusted to have a mean of 100 and a known standard deviation (could be 24, 15 or some other value which makes comparing tests useless).
    Right, and what are you measuring?
    If your answer is 'intelligence', please define the concept in a way everyon can agree upon.

The fact is that there are a numerous definitions of 'intelligence', none of which covers it all, none of wich everyone agrees upon. If the scientists are not united in a definition, then it doesn't matter how the statisticians score it.

So what we normally mean when we talk about intelligence is only a vague feeling of cleverness, nothing more, nothing less.
    How do you measure cleverness? Answer: IQ-test.
    What does an IQ test measure? Answer: The ability to solve IQ tests. Q.E.D.
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 07:37
    Right, and what are you measuring?
    If your answer is 'intelligence', please define the concept in a way everyon can agree upon.

The fact is that there are a numerous definitions of 'intelligence', none of which covers it all, none of wich everyone agrees upon. If the scientists are not united in a definition, then it doesn't matter how the statisticia ...[text shortened]... swer: IQ-test.
    What does an IQ test measure? Answer: The ability to solve IQ tests. Q.E.D.
    I never disagreed with that. In fact:

Thread 36447 Check out my post on the first page.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 07:52
    I never disagreed with that. In fact:

Thread 36447 Check out my post on the first page.
    Checked.

No concepts are more misunderstood that this of 'intelligence'. Perhaps because the research has been progressing from very primitive thoughts too very elaborate theories during a long period of time. The question is put: "What is intelligence?" but the answers is not conclusive - yet or will never be. We actually know to little.

We know much about our own intelligence, but we don't know anything (or very little) about other intelligences, dolphins or other primates, for example, how would we then be able to identify extra terrestrial intelligence? Some says even we don't understand women and those are our equals. (And they don't understand us.)
  9. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 08:172 edits
    IQ is overrated.

I agree that it's nothing more than the ability to solve IQ tests. People who study math, solve alot of puzzles, or even visit forums like this one frequently will be better at solving IQ-tests.

Does that make them smarter overall? No, they just build up experience form seeing the problems over and over again.

I'm sure several people on this board would make an IQ-test without a single mistake. That doesn't make them geniusses per se.
  10. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 13:05
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    IQ is overrated.

I agree that it's nothing more than the ability to solve IQ tests. People who study math, solve alot of puzzles, or even visit forums like this one frequently will be better at solving IQ-tests.

Does that make them smarter overall? No, they just build up experience form seeing the problems over and over again.

I'm sure several ...[text shortened]... oard would make an IQ-test without a single mistake. That doesn't make them geniusses per se.
    What a load of rubbish.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 16:08
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Furthermore, this isn't the place for kiddie humor. Nobody under the age of 13 is allowed to join RHP. The site owners have made it clear that they don't want young kids here.
    Delinquents can range anywhere from 10-16. Get your definition right. I'm fifteen and i can do a relatively good work at chess. And the person who displays true childish qualities is very dishonorable and immature.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 16:12
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    What a load of rubbish.
    It is not rubbish. The IQ test could not determine someone's IQ as well as someone else could, and since every person has a biased opinion, that is speaking magnitudes. The IQ test is as low as any other test you would take in class, only it blends the subjects together into one small test. However the SAT is quite challenging and I am hoping i will do well on it. Please wish me well on it, for i aspire to attain membership into a very fine college.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 16:37
    Originally posted by liteswordatlitespeed
    Delinquents can range anywhere from 10-16. Get your definition right. I'm fifteen and i can do a relatively good work at chess. And the person who displays true childish qualities is very dishonorable and immature.
    Where'd you get all that? I said nothing about delinquents or chess skill.

Perhaps you should make sure you're actually responding to a post next time you hit 'reply and quote'.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 20:10
    Oh. I guess you're right. Guess i forgot i was quoting...

I never said aaaaanything...

*slips into shadow*
  15. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 23:01
    Originally posted by liteswordatlitespeed
    Please wish me well on it, for i aspire to attain membership into a very fine college.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree