Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    07 Sep '07 16:48
    This one from something I noticed when going to the bathroom at work. I was listening to this clicking sound in the mens room and saw there was a water meter there next to the toilet. So I timed the clicks and found the water consumption to be one gallon every 15 seconds or 4 gallons per minute. So when I flushed the toilet the cranking speed went up and it read 9 gallons after 1 minute and 20 seconds.
    How much water did the toilet consume?
  2. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    07 Sep '07 20:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    This one from something I noticed when going to the bathroom at work. I was listening to this clicking sound in the mens room and saw there was a water meter there next to the toilet. So I timed the clicks and found the water consumption to be one gallon every 15 seconds or 4 gallons per minute. So when I flushed the toilet the cranking speed went up and it read 9 gallons after 1 minute and 20 seconds.
    How much water did the toilet consume?
    The only thing i know about plumbing is:

    Lefty...loosey

    Righty...tighty

    S**T flows down hill

    Payday's Friday.
  3. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    07 Sep '07 21:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    This one from something I noticed when going to the bathroom at work. I was listening to this clicking sound in the mens room and saw there was a water meter there next to the toilet. So I timed the clicks and found the water consumption to be one gallon every 15 seconds or 4 gallons per minute. So when I flushed the toilet the cranking speed went up and it read 9 gallons after 1 minute and 20 seconds.
    How much water did the toilet consume?
    Way too much! It should consume 4/6 litres on a dual flush system.

    D
  4. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    07 Sep '07 21:44
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Way too much! It should consume 4/6 litres on a dual flush system.

    D
    I know it's supposed to use less but what do the numbers say?
    This is a real life problem, it happened just like I said, with the proviso I did it twice, after I flushed the first time, I fired up my stopwatch and timed the meter before and during a second flush just for grins.
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    09 Sep '07 05:50 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    This one from something I noticed when going to the bathroom at work. I was listening to this clicking sound in the mens room and saw there was a water meter there next to the toilet. So I timed the clicks and found the water consumption to be one gallon every 15 seconds or 4 gallons per minute. So when I flushed the toilet the cranking speed went up and it read 9 gallons after 1 minute and 20 seconds.
    How much water did the toilet consume?
    Toilet was flushing for 1.33 minutes.

    Normal water flow per minute is 4 gallons. This accounts for 5.33 (that is, 4 and 4/3) gallons over that period of time.

    However there was 9 gallons of flow during that time.

    Therefore, the toilet itself took 3.67 gallons to flush.

    I forget the gallon/liter conversion, but it's about 4 to 1 isn't it?
  6. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 Sep '07 02:09
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Toilet was flushing for 1.33 minutes.

    Normal water flow per minute is 4 gallons. This accounts for 5.33 (that is, 4 and 4/3) gallons over that period of time.

    However there was 9 gallons of flow during that time.

    Therefore, the toilet itself took 3.67 gallons to flush.

    I forget the gallon/liter conversion, but it's about 4 to 1 isn't it?
    Thats what I got.
  7. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    10 Sep '07 09:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Thats what I got.
    I conclude that either you work in facilities management, or your real job is incredibly dull.

  8. Standard member Daemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢
    10 Sep '07 10:00
    Originally posted by rhb
    I conclude that either you work in facilities management, or your real job is incredibly dull.

    Or both.