Moves
    07 Jun '06 23:20
    Okay,how can -53 multiplied by 46 equal -2438??😕
  2. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 23:23
    Quite easily. In fact, it does every time.
  3. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 00:35
    Originally posted by bob12
    Okay,how can -53 multiplied by 46 equal -2438??😕
    Are you struggling to grasp the logic behind multiplication of negative numbers?

Think of it this way. Assume you lose 53 dollars in the stock market in one week. Now, if you want to estimate how much you'll lose in 46 weeks, considering this trend continues, you multiply your difference the first week, -53, by the number of weeks, 46, and get -2438.
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 04:231 edit
    Originally posted by ark13
    Are you struggling to grasp the logic behind multiplication of negative numbers?

Think of it this way. Assume you lose 53 dollars in the stock market in one week. Now, if you want to estimate how much you'll lose in 46 weeks, considering this trend continues, you multiply your difference the first week, -53, by the number of weeks, 46, and get -2438.
    Actually, if you wanted to work out your losses over 46 weeks you'd multiply your losses in one week by the number of weeks.

So, 53*46 = 2438
    In 46 weeks you'd lose $2438 dollars at the current rate.

Of course you meant a profit of $-53 over 46 weeks giving a total profit of $-2438.
  5. Palmerston North
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 08:55
    Yes, the kiwi is right when
    - x + = -
    - x - = +
    + x - = -
    pretty much if a negative number is mulityplyed by a positive number the result will always be a negative number whatever the numbers are.

Also same with division.
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 13:43
    Originally posted by Knight Square
    Yes, the kiwi is right when
    - x + = -
    - x - = +
    + x - = -
    pretty much if a negative number is mulityplyed by a positive number the result will always be a negative number whatever the numbers are.

Also same with division.
    Actually ark had that bit right. However I was just pointing out that a negative loss is a profit and a negative profit is a loss. Minor detail really.
  7. Lafayette
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 14:47
    Simple math really. Anytime you multiply an positive number (46) and a negative number (-53) you will ALWAYS get a negative number. The only time this is not true is when you multiply a negative OR positive number by 0. The answer would always be 0
    😀
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 15:45
    Originally posted by ark13

good explanation.

However, can you explain how -5 mulitiplied by -5 can give you +25?
  9. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 22:31
    Originally posted by uzless
    good explanation.

You lost five dollars for the last five weeks how much more money did you have at the beginning of this period.

Lost five dollars (-5 - forget the units)
    Five weeks previous (-5)

(-5) * (-5) = +25

Therefore, five weeks ago you had 25 dollars more. If the trend continues next week (+1) you will have...

(+1) * (-5) = -5

five dollars less than you do now. Money and time are the answers to all of your +/- problems.
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Jun '06 00:12
    Originally posted by uzless
    good explanation.

Best explanation I have heard is imagine someone has a giant vacuum pump and is using it to empty a swimming pool. The increase in water is therefore negative. Now imagine someone films the person doing this.

Later you are playing around and you watch the tape backwards (a negative). When you do this it looks as if the pool is being filled by the pump (postive increase in water).

So:

negative water increase * negative time = postive water increase
  11. Joined
    15 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jun '06 02:38
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_and_non-negative_numbers

scroll down to multiplication, good explanation
  12. Palmerston North
    Moves
    09 Jun '06 08:111 edit
    I just think of what i said earlier and don't worry about the details of how it works, I just do it. Its Maths

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree